Warmoth and Mighty Mite : big quality differences ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PierreL, Feb 27, 2006.

1. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Hi all.
    I have a Warmoth strat type maple neck which has been unused for some time now, and I'd like to use it to build myself a new guitar, certainly super strat type.
    So I am currently looking at bodies manufacturers catalogs, Warmoth is the unavoidable player in this market, but their price are on the high side.
    Mighty Mite are also making bodies, and I wonder if some you could check the quality differences between those brands. It seems that MM is a lot cheaper that Warmoth, but does it really mean that the products are inferior ?

Thanks for reading.

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I haven't dealt with either company but I do know this.

Mighty Mite parts are imports. Warmoth is USA made.

Also, there are variances from company to company in respect to neck and neck pocket dimensions, so if you have a Warmoth neck your safest bet is a Warmoth body.

3. John_M

John_M Member

alot of those cheaper bodies are veneers - paper thin maple on the base wood. the woods are not as high of quality, and the finishes are usually quite thick and suffocating.

They look good, and will make a nice looking guitar. The guitar will sound ok to good to bad depending on how picky you are, or what type of music. Max gain, you're really just hearing the pickup anyway.

I've thought about doing those cheaper bodies. They look cool, but I know that I would always be thinking about other bodies that are quality woods and built well.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I only have experience with necks, but it was very telling. I have an old (10 yrs. or so) strat neck from WD - it was chosen for me by the local repair guy at the time. It was their top of the line $245 neck. Very nice. Almost ready to go out of the box.

Fast forward to now. I want another Strat neck. I call WD and order their cheapest ($99). The repair guy puts it on but can't get it playable - says it needs a complete fret job and there is a dip in the neck on the bass side, but not the treble and the truss rod is adjusted as much as possible. All repairs will cost about the same as the neck did originally.

WD sends me a new neck ($190). Repair guy looks at it and says "If I were buying a guitar and it had this neck, I wouldn't buy it."

Long story short, you get what you pay for. I was attracted to low price body parts, but the final cost was alomost as much as the good stuff.

Good luck!

P.S. I've read lots of bad stuff about MM necks.

5. John_M

John_M Member

Good point about the necks - I picked one up and tried to make it work - friggin ski slope from the 14th fret up - Real POS.

I'll never buy one of their necks - but the bodies are a bit different, and what the original post was asking about.

6. PierreL

Thanks a lot for your input guys. Much appreciated.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The neck is the nerve center of the guitar. Don't go cheap. Guys will spend $250 on a custom modded TS808 but try and save $50 on a junk neck.

8. PierreL

Certainly, I have 2 Warmoth necks that are just great.

9. doc

doc Member

I've heard good things about USA Custom Guitar stuff too, but have only used Warmoth myself. Warmoth makes some good quality stuff, but pricey.