1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Warmoth Build Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JasonD, May 22, 2011.

1. JasonD

JasonD Member

I'm ordering a new body from Warmoth next month and I was hoping a few people might have some ideas.
    I'm replacing a alder soloist body that was too bright for me (maybe a bad piece of wood?). It seems to be lacking the lower mids. The neck is 24 frets maple on maple. I was thinking of doing a basswood/maple top soloist body or a mahogany/maple top body. The guitar will have dimarzo PAF PRO in the neck and a Tone Zone or Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge. The guitar will also have a recessed floyd

I'm into the EVH, Petrucci, and Vai type of playing. Basswood the best option?

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

There are a number of ways to look at it but a guitar is the sum of its parts.

In the case of an electric guitar that includes the pickups and the amp.

But assuming you have narrowed your issues down to that of wood, you might consider that the neck may be the source of your problem.

My experience with Warmoth necks, especially those with the dual action truss rod is that they tend to be stiff and bright. Not that they don't put out the lower frequencies, just that those lows get overpowered by the highs.

If you are dead set on trying a new body I would suggest going with straight mahogany. Stay away from any more maple.

3. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Check out the Unofficial Warmoth Forum, half of the posts there are about Floyd equipped guitars.

4. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

It's a shot in he dark, I got real lucky with my partsocaster, I like it better thn
    An my deluxe, but don't think I'll try it again. Just saying, maybe consider buying something assembled that you can hear. Also, other factors, like vintage vs modern trem will play a role as well.

5. torquil

torquil Member

If I had to do something (instead of playing the thing), I would much rather try the following:

1) Turn the treble knob down and the mid knob on your amp up (sorry, couldn't resist)
    2) Experiment with circuitry (tone pot/cap values, or perhaps use more exotic circuit topology)
    3) Pickup type/pickup height.

I have a Warmoth hardtail alder Soloist with a maple q.sawn+maple q.sawn neck (the big "Superwide" neck), SS frets. The bridge is of hardtail Fender strat type. The usual JB & Jazz combo. Wouldn't say it is too bright. I don't even have a tone knob on mine :aok

Good luck!

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

In my Strat neck swapping experiments, a guitars voice seems to come more from the neck than the body. And what I perceived as the best tone seemed to follow a particular neck...however, the sum of the parts thing is valid too. Things like horrible pickups, pot metal tremblock, wrong value volume pot, etc. play into the sum of the parts thing....but they follow the necks voice.

7. The Jeff

The Jeff Member

If you have your mind set on those pickups, I would choose basswood. I know for certain they sound great in the EB Axis and have heard them in many RG's which are, of course, mainly basswood. You can't go wrong with a neutral sounding wood like basswood, despite its reputation for being "cheap." Good luck!