Warmoth Double Cut Les Paul Special - anyone built one?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AshlandBump, Mar 11, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I was looking around the Warmoth site the other day and saw that they make a Les Paul Special Double Cut body. I'd like to build a dual P-90 guitar and one of these could be cool but . . . it would have to have a bolt-on neck. I'm curious if anyone here has built one of these and how they sound compared to a "real" Gibson Les Paul Special, vintage or otherwise. Does the bolt-on neck make that much a difference in the tone/sustain?

2. rooster

rooster Member

It'll have a considerably different tone than a LP special, due to the bolt-on neck, even if you get a Mahogany one. Unfortunately.

If you're not worried too much about looks, try to find one of the Dean Cadillac "Tropicana Turds" that were built in the late 90's. They are solid mahogany, set neck, ebony fretboard, 2-pc standard bridge setup. The downsides? Funky looks, split-V headstock, no collectors value. The upside? I got one for $225 brand new, and it is a LP special. Sound and feel-wise. Just very strange looking. I don't play it much, but it's a good guitar after I leveled and crowned the frets. Thick finish, so you may want to take that off, but that's not too bad of a thing to do; just takes a LOT of elbow grease and time. I never got around to refinishing mine, but I should. It would look stunningly .... weird in TV yellow.

rooster.

3. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I think it would be awesome!! Yeah the bolt on will cause it to sound different than a Gibson Les Paul Special but that doesn't mean it will sound worse.....just different. Think of it as a Mahogany Tele with P-90's. Go for it!!

4. AshlandBump

Good comparison Catoogie -- I have a Tele, but the different wood and P-90s would be enough of a difference to justify it.

Rooster -- thanks for the suggestion but, in this case, looks are important. I love the look and, more importantly, the feel of double cut Les Pauls, so the Dean Cadillac isn't going to cut it.

5. rooster

rooster Member

The feel, believe it or not, is pretty darn close to a double cut LP. However, the look... you got that right.

rooster.

6. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I've built two - one has a carved top and a Fender-scale neck. The other has a flat top and the Gibson-scale neck. The scale length makes a big difference in tone and feel, and I think the shorter neck, with Curt Novak's P-90's sounds quite a bit like an old LPS - Mississippi Queen is well within reach!

Here she is:

[​IMG]

7. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

That my friend is a spanking sweeeet geetar and I see nothing wrong with it at all!!!!!!!

8. AshlandBump

Mikey: Nice guitar! Maple top over mahogony?

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Nice work Mikey!!! Warmoth parts are truly excellent!! I have a Korina L5S 6 string and a Warmoth Strat Doubleneck...Both were finished by them...Both are amazing instruments

10. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

Interesting... what sort of tailpiece is that?

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Gotoh 510

12. Mikey Likes It

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the complements, guys - yes, it's a mahogany body with a maple top, and mahogany neck. I like the short scale - less string tension, and it really contributes to the tone. I originally loaded it with Lollar P-90s, and they're gorgeous, musical, hi-fi-sounding pickups. But the Novak set has a slightly "ruder" sound, more of what I hear on old recordings like Mountain. I'm surprised, actually, at how much this bolt-on sounds like the real thing.

13. loudboy

loudboy Member

You could get a used Gibson LP Special from the 90's for a very reasonable price, and they are great guitars.

Loudboy

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

they've gone up in price, almost $1k now.

i'm considering an Edwards (is that a dirty word around here?) and putting a Bigsby on it.

15. Mikey Likes It

I think I've got about $600 into the one above and I'm pretty happy with it - the problem with Warmoth compared to Gibson is resale value, but I love finishing and building these things - not in it for the money. And they generally play as well as custom-shop offerings once they're set up properly.

16. jrw32

jrw32 Member

WOW, gorgeous! :dude

17. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

This is actually a $315.00 Dillion LP Jr. with a make over. The quality is excellent, wood is Mahogany and the neck/frets are Gibby scale. I have maxed it out but you dont have to.
    Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I know this thread has been long dead but Rhomco...that is one gorgeous LP double cut. That is EXACTLY what I would build from Warmoth. Great job.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  19. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

warmoth makes set neck models....

i guess you haven't purchased from them or looked at their site?

20. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

You just responded to a post that is over 4 years old.

I hadn't heard they're doing set neck stuff. Got a link?