Warmoth Fatback Carve...full 1" too much?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hendrix2430, Apr 19, 2005.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi, I ordered a Limba body and Mahogany/rosewood neck from warmoth, for a Thinline project I'm about to start. I got those items from the showcase sections, and while I think I made a good decision, I'm worried that the "fatback" carve on the neck may be too much.

I have other warmoth guitars, but none have that carve. 2 of them have standard thin (which I like, but wished they were a bit thicker), and one has the SRV contour, which I like a lot.
    I don't have huge hands, but don't have small hands either.
    The SRV is almost perfect for me, but decided to try the fatback nonetheless.

So my question is, for those who either tried/or own a guitar with a fatback carve from warmoth:

-Is the difference really that huge between a "medium-fat" neck like the SRV and the Fatback model?

-How close would it be to a PRS wide/fat neck?

Thanks!

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I re-necked a 62 Vintage Strat with one, and I LOVE it.

But, I like a big neck. And make no mistake, this one is a handful.

It is appreciably bigger than the PRS Wide/Fat neck.

You'll either like it... or have a heart attack, when you first put yer hand on it...! LOL!

(The ONLY electric neck I've felt that was larger was one that was on a Stephens Tele that I had for a while. Now, THAT sucker was just plain uncomfortable to play...!)

Roe likes this.
  3. dazco

dazco Member

If i'm not mistaken thats the size of the Jeff Beck strat neck. It is quite huge. However, since the warmoth necks come unfinished, (unless you ordered a finished one) you can easily shave them.

Roe likes this.
  4. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with PRS wide/fat or with the SRV, but I do have a Warmoth neck with the fatback contour and feel it is a little too fat for my tastes. Above the 12th fret I really like it but I wish it tapered in a tenth of an inch or so from the 12th fret down to the nut.

I've been playing it for 3 years and haven't disliked it enough to replace it. I have large hands and like beefy necks, but this one is just a little too much. However, their new '59 roundback contour has caught my eye and has me thinking about trying that instead.

5. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Thanks guys,

"You'll either like it... or have a heart attack"...yes I figured that! That's why I'm taking the necessary precautions. :D

I was also expecting for the fatback to feel larger than a W/F., but not THAT much more. It's unfinished so I can always sand it back a little, but ideally I wished I didn't have to...

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I didn't care for the fatback myself. The SRV profile is my favorite. Plenty huge, but very playable. Feels big but plays small.

7. fatback

fatback Member

8. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Depending on how deep they have the truss rod you may not be able to take off a lot if you shave it. I'd check with Warmoth before you take much off the back.

9. dazco

dazco Member

I've shaved about 6 or 8 warmoths of all different profiles and trust me, there will be plenty of room to shave the amount he's talking about. Shaving is easy and can literally be done in a 1/2 hour or less. I take it down roughly with a blade by scraping, which will leave it rought and uneven. then i use heavy grit paper to get it straight and correctly profiled. the gradual finer grits finishing with wet and dry paper. I dampen the wood after about #600 grit with a barely damp rag to raise the "hair" and cut it off with the 600. I do that 3 times them finish it off smooth as glass with #800 or 1000.

Roe likes this.
  10. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I have 2 Warmoth necks, both fatback carve. For my personal use, they feel great. But I have large hands. I actually had Ron Thorn add a bit to the fatback carve for Thorn #29-now that's a man-sized neck!

:dude :dude

Mark

11. alderbody

alderbody Member

i have a "boatneck" profile which is as fat as the "fatback" but slightly slimmer on the edges and it's perfect for my big hands and playing style...

as most of the other posters here have mentioned, if you don't like it too much, then shave it!... :)

12. CS'56

CS'56 Member

How does it compare the the Lentz neck?

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

It is appreciably bigger than my Lentz neck, which, to me, is slightly bigger than a PRS Wide-Fat neck.

14. CS'56

CS'56 Member

My Lentz had a "C" neck that was much larger than any wide fat I have ever played. The neck wasn't as wide as the PRS but had a lot more beef.

15. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I have the Warmoth SRV carve on my strat now, and really really like it. Also it looks kind of elegant, whereas the Boatneck and Fatback (I've owned both) reminded me of logs or pilings or something. The Boatneck played pretty well, though I prefer the SRV. The Fatback was too much for me (seemed fatter than the neck on my R4 LP, which I like a lot but is about my max). One other thing on Warmoth necks, I didn't much care for the Warmoth construction (double truss rod), it's heavy and I swear I could hear a metallic overtone with it, much prefer the vintage/modern with single truss (haven't tried the "true vintage"). FWIW, I also greatly prefer the SRV to the Warmoth standard thin (too ibanez-like for me) and also to a "Clapton carve" I had for a while (a bit too thin and v-shaped for my hands). ymmv and it usually will! -Guy
    :dude

16. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

wow, it seems the fatback and boatneck carves are too much for a lot of people! I'll certainly be flattered if it suits my hands well...because as the saying goes, big hands, big...gloves!

:eek: :D

17. archiestone

archiestone Member

I built an Esquire with a Warmoth Fatback neck and it is huge. I've gotten used to it but most who pick it up give the same exclamation: "Holy s*(&^!"

18. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

If you're really freaked out, at worse can't you change/cancel your order for a fee?

Personally, I like the SRV and Wolfgang profiles the best. I tried a Boat one time, and it was just a hair too big, although very comfortable once I got use to it. Like others have said, the big 1" profiles seem a lot more manageable with a 1-5/8" nut and vintage radius.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

For me it was too much, and it felt like a log, or unfinished because it's the same thickness all the way up and down. The size was so big it was comical. same with the Allparts fat necks. Just to clunky feeling.

OTOH, I love the Fender Nocaster profile which is roughly the same size, but has a refined feel and taper. That's the most awesome neck because it's huge but doesn't feel like a log.

20. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

I have to agree. The fatter back necks seem more suited to the smaller nut width and radius.
    Though I love my 57 LP neck.
    I think Warmoth has a 59 neck profile that is supposed to be just meaty enough, somewhere around .900 at the 1st fret which comes close to another LP Standard I have that I mesaured with calipers.

Roe likes this.