Warmoth Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AtlMusicMan86, Feb 24, 2012.

1. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Member

I've been thinking about doing a custom Tele style guitar from Warmoth, so was wondering if anyone here has done a guitar from Warmoth and how the craftsmanship of it was. Was it what you thought it'd be? Did it meet or exceed your expectations? Did it sound and play good?

2. jimshine

jimshine Member

They have been around since the mid 70's, they are dong something right. I should also mention a final assembly requires great care to align and install components, and do the final setup work to the guitar. If that work is substandard, it will reflect in the final guitars performance.

3. JxD

JxD Member

I ordered a Telecaster style guitar from Warmoth. It turned out excellent and is probably my favorite current guitar. I really only have good things to say about it. I probably should have initially taken it to a professional for a set-up, but I decided to do it myself. It took me about a year and a half to get everything exactly right (kind of learned as I went), but now it is the love of my life. That said, they can be expensive for what you're getting. If you want a maple, alder, or swamp ash tele, it would probably be cheaper and safer to go into a music store and try out a few different guitars. If you want a black korina tele-style guitar with P90's and an exotic wood neck (my current desire), they're a pretty good alternative.

4. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Member

Gotcha, yea I'd be having one of the techs that I know here in Atlanta setting everything up for me. I was thinking about getting a Nash T 63 (still in the thought process) but through Warmoth I can get the same guitar with a killer flamed neck that the Nash doesn't come with for $700 cheaper. So I wanted to hear from owners and users before I jump the gun on the Warmoth.

5. antiquodian

antiquodian Member

Get the sculpted heel. Their stock heels are gigantic.

6. Dale

Dale Member

They tend to be very good - as good as you are at assembly and set up.

7. Burruss

Burruss Member

I'm in Atlanta too. Who is/are your favorite tech(s)?

8. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I assembled a Warmoth tele for a friend and I was not impressed at all. The parts were probably 5-6 years old but overall I thought they had the same quality as a Squier Strat.

9. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I've had lots of good experiences with their stuff.
    I know some people have had less than great experiences, but everything I've ever got from them was top quality stuff.
    I'm going on 15 years of my main strat having a Warmoth Clapton contour neck and.....well, 15 years being my number one guitar is saying something.

10. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

they make great stuff, and i would assert that the deals on used bodies and necks are there to be had. if you don't mind a ding or nick, gather the parts you have in your minds eye over time. it won't be quick, but it is fun to do. i scored an early warmoth birdseye tele neck and it resides on my current favorite tele. it will probably be here for good. finding the early stuff is fun, too... their body builder is great, but i always wing up at like 1k with my cockamamey options, which is why i look to the used market...

11. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

a pro setup will get you where you want to be with their parts, as stated...

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think they're a great idea. I just wish they had more choices in body and headstock styles. I wish they had replicas of all of the great superstrats of yesteryear. Like the various Barettas, and Gunslingers, and maybe even bolt on versions of the Hamer standard.

13. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

They can do custom whatever you want.. youwould simply need to draw it. They would have to pay for licensing rights on each type of headstock. You could always buy a body and stick a used gunslinger neck on it.

14. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I'm probably going to make a parts(tele)caster from them as soon as they pickup 2Tek bridges (which Zilmo told me would be quite soon!)...it shall be excellent!

I made a Strat-copy out of Warmoth parts...I had no idea what I was doing and it was many years ago but I thought and still think it was/is a pretty dang good git.

15. scorched

scorched Member

I got tired of shopping for guitars and not being satisfied with the products offered - unless you wanted to pay $3000+ for custom shop. I decided to create my own custom shop. I now have four Warmoth guitars and I'm in planning stages for number five.

Had some trials and tribulations learning to dress frets, bridge setup, etc. But now I'm confident with what I'm doing. I shoot my own Nitro, stain and color the wood, etc. It becomes your baby and you get exactly what you want.

I have nothing but praise for the quality of the parts I've gotten. I found the neck profile I love. I love their chambered bodies. I have a chambered strat from them that is simply the finest sounding guitar I've ever owned and I've had three custom shop Fender strats.

16. darkinners

darkinners Member

my band's guitarist was a Warmoth addict, he has like 5 or 6 Warmoth guitars. I tried all of them, ALL of them sounded and played amazing.
    in particular one of his Warmoth 63' Strat copy was beyond amazing. Been bugging him sell me that strat and he just keep saying no :/

So, recently I build myself one Warmoth 57' strat copy, it's an awesome guitar and it's cheap too compare to those big brands.

17. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Far exceeded my expectations. I built a thinline Tele with TV Jones pups and most bells and whistles, and it's one of my main players. I'll post pics later

18. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Some advice: if building a parts guitar is a one-shot deal, stick with traditional woods, traditional hardware, and the vintage trussrod.

The only trouble I had was getting unexpected results from exotic wood combinations and learning which neck profile suits me.

The last two strat clones I assembled turned out good; one is alder with a two piece body and a birdseye maple neck with a kingwood fingerboard: it's more of a superstrat type with an HSH pickup configuration and a two-point floating trem; it does what it was designed for extremely well, while offering a nice variety of tones.

The last one I constructed has a one-piece alder body and a high dollar uber-flame maple neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard; I finished it in three color sunburst Reranch lacquer: it not only looks good, it feels and sounds great, and is by far the best traditional strat-type guitar I've owned.

19. Dale

Dale Member

The center one is one of my Warmoth's.

[​IMG]

20. mainsale

mainsale Member

I built this Warmoth Strat about two years ago. I took my time and put top shelf components in it and it came out great! It has low action and wonderful vintage tone thanks to a set of Lollar dirty Blondes with a blender pot. I'm going to do a P-bass next!

[​IMG]