Warmoth Headstock Decal - Use Them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottrolf, Feb 27, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I purchased a 2014 Fender Am Std Strat expressly for experimentation purposes.
    I'm having a nice Warmoth neck installed, Seymour Duncan Little '59 put in the bridge and Trem decked for starters.

My question is in regards to the Warmoth neck and those who own them.
    Do you put on the supplied headstock decal/s or leave it blank?

2. boppstar

boppstar Supporting Member

I had a custom headstock decal made with my name, I paid like $20 for 4 of them. I like the look of something on the headstock, doesn't need to say "Fender" to make me happy though. I have a buddy that made a couple of Warmoth strats and left them blank - he digs them but it looks like something is missing to me. To each his own. :)

3. monty

monty Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the blank look.

4. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I feel like it needs something. Blank seems unfinished somehow.

I designed and printed my own custom logo. Came out great with a little research and using basic computer/printer stuff. Check out J Bennett for nice custom designs: http://bennettdecals.wix.com/decals. Not sure if he's a member here, but he's on TDPRI and has done a ton of really nice ones.

I suppose if you think you may sell it somewhere down the line, something more generic like the Warmoth logo could be fine.

5. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

i don't even remember getting a decal with my Warmoth neck. I wouldn't have put it on anyway, unless it was in a Fender font.

I night have to order one of those Bennett ones.

6. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I was thinking of just putting on the Turtle logo on the upper rounded portion of the headstock only that they supply and not the word "Warmoth".

7. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Thanks for that link.

8. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

9. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I would put a Fender decal on it. There are people on this site that will make one for you.

Warmoth is licensed by Fender to supply necks/bodies, etc.....so, I wouldnt hesitate to put the proper decal on it.

...just my opinion.

BUT, if you decide to sell it, I would be honest and tell everyone that it is a Warmoth neck.

10. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Excellent thanks.
    I'm running the latest version of Photoshop and have an Epson Photo Printer.
    This could be a cool project.

11. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I've used various decals, including my own name/brand, 'vintage reproduction decals' and, yes, the Warmoth decal. I don't particularly care for their name decal, but if I use a Warmoth neck, I always stick the turtle on the back of the headstock. My only gripe is that they use thick peel-and-stick material, so it's a pain to bury under nitro.

12. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I've used the Warmoth decal before. It's actually nice looking.

When you think about it, Warmoth parts are all licensed, Made in the USA, quality parts. There's no shame in displaying that proudly.

ToneSter likes this.
  13. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

That's a cool idea. Their logo is a bit bold for my tastes.

No prob. Everyone on TDPRI loves his stuff.

Here's what I did on my Warmoth neck. It's matched to a contoured Tele body. That's using free fonts (I think I came VERY close to the Fender fonts), iWork on my Mac, decal paper, and my HP all-in-one.

The thing that separates the pro-made ones is they typically use metallic ink for the fill. You can do it yourself at home with a paint pen, but it's a process I didn't want to bother with.

[​IMG]

14. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Yep, but only the out of print metallic ones like this:

[​IMG]

15. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I had one of those a couple years ago. I notice they don't have them on their site anymore. Anyone know why they stopped offering them?

16. standard24

standard24 Member

I would go with a reproduction Fender logo for my own guitar. Also, if you sell the guitar, it will likely be more valuable to the buyer if it has a Fender logo. Even though they know it's a Warmoth product.

17. wwit

wwit Member

I bought the metal Warmoth decal in gold top match the hardware on my old Warmoth Strat. I don't like the plain jane look of the headstock and don't feel right about putting a Fender decal on it.

18. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I just called Warmoth about this... they just ran out; and more are "in the works" but they couldn't tell me when they'll have them in stock again. Hopefully soon.

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I went with blank on both my partscasters. One is not Warmoth at all but one is all Warmoth, and I would only consider it on one that had both neck and body from Warmoth. Still, blank is what I preferred.

20. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

Thanks for the update. When I ordered a Warmoth neck a couple months ago I was bummed that they didn't have the metal logos available. I didn't call and ask why though.