warmoth hollow strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sf audio, Feb 13, 2008.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

Anyone have one of these? What do you like/dislike about it?

Looking to get a strat but not the standard, normal strats you see everywhere...

thanks

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I have a chambered alder Warmoth hardtail Strat body form several years ago. I mounted a late '70 Strat neck on it.

It's featherweight.

[​IMG]

It might just be because of the neck, but the thing lacks sustain. I don't like it. But it's not bad for sitting back and playing unplugged. It has a nice quiet acoustic like tone. As an electric guitar though, it's a bit lacking.

IMO, you're better off getting a solid body, made with an ultra light piece of swamp ash.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Also

Strats have perfect balance. Hollow ot the body and they'll be neck heavy.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I love the way the body colour matches the knob and pup cover colour. Was that a happy accident or did you paint the body to macth the plastic?

5. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have a hollow mahogany/maple topped one with a rosewood neck that's a favorite of mine. The only downside is that it's heavy, but not unbalanced.

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I think Warmoth called that color cream. It came from what they now call the "Showcase" section. So I just used cream knobs and pickups to match that.

To me, it's really more like what Fender called blonde though. It's very close to the color of my blonde Tele.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Yeah, I've built a couple....any hollow guitar is going to sound different than a solid body. IIRC, Warmoth has both chambered and hollow versions. The chambered are routed chambers and are much closer to a solid body than is a hollow f hole type. Both have different resonance, tone, resonant peaks, and feedback immunity. There are things it can do that a solid body can't, and vice versa. There is a bit of acoustic twang to the guitar that you don't get with a solid body. When it's the right tool for a musical idea, it's what you use.:cool:

Balance is a concern. You want to use light vintage tuning pegs and a vintage truss rod. Depending on the particular pieces, that should just balance.

Vinetto has been putting out some really nice chambered teles....not sure about strats.

[​IMG]

8. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

i had an Anderson Swamp Ash hollow Strat that was great , balanced ... rocked out .... don`t know how Tom`s routing compares to Warmoth though

9. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Ok. Mine's chambered. I's not hollow like a Thinline.

10. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I have a Warmoth hollow alder strat body with a quilt maple top. The sustain is slightly increased compared to other strats, just as Warmoth claims. I am in the process of refinishing and rewiring it, and adding a vintage modern features birdseye maple neck with a kingwood fingerboard, a '59 back profile, and stainless steel frets.

I also find the tone a little fatter than a typical strat, and there are some unusual acoustic properties that are most evident when playing the guitar unplugged.

With the old neck, the weight was around 7lbs, but the new neck is a little lighter, so I'm probably looking at 6.5 lbs or so in weight.