Warmoth Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cancelthesound, Jun 20, 2006.

1. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Has anyone here built a jazzmaster from warmoth parts? I was looking into it because I'd like to do a couple of things differently than a standard jazzmaster. Namely a wilkinson trem and humbuckers. Any opinions on tonewoods? I was thinking mahogany body. Possibly a mahogany neck/rosewood board.

2. B Vance

B Vance Member

I haven't personally, however, Mikes Music in Cincinnati has one "partsed" from Warmoth. It's an Alder body with maple neck and rosewood board. It came out really nicely, artic white with black pickguard. Plays nicely and looks the part. I think mahogany would be a good choice for the wood as well. Alder would also be a safe bet for the body.

3. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

How's the action and sustain on it? I've heard that jazzmasters don't have a lot of sustain going on. I'm hoping the wilkinson bridge would help with that.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Jag/Jazzmaster area at the Fender Forum. I know that there was a guy there who built a Ajzzmaster out of mahogany -- I can't remember whether it was Warmoth or not.

5. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

http://members.cox.net/~john.lipfert/Warmoth/

This is my Warmoth Jazzmaster I made about four years ago. I still play it quite a bit, it's a great guitar. One piece ash, fatback neck, hardtail bridge. It's a monster and I don't have any sustain issues.

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    THAT is a very cool Jazzmaster!

[​IMG]

:dude

Congrats, John!

7. Crazyquilt

Indeed -- incredible guitar, tho' I couldn't, myself, have a JM without a trem. The natural ash is just killer. With the trem set up right, I've not had problems with string slippage or tuning. Still, it can be a bit annoying to have to use Loctite to keep your bridge & saddles stable.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

john,

Nice work! The pics and notes of your build are cool too.

Thanks for sharing

9. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

That's where I'm torn. For tuning purposes I'd rather have a hardtail. But I'm hoping that the wilkinson bridge will give me what i need and still allow me to do some JM style trem stuff.

I have a crazy idea for the neck as well but I have to contact warmoth first.

10. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

That looks great. Any thoughts on the wood for the body? Alder seems to be the standard JM wood. But mahogany might give it more of a rock vibe.

11. B Vance

B Vance Member

I would describe the sustain as nothing out of the normal. What you might expect from a Jazzmaster. You are right, it has loads to do with what type of bridge you are using. I am not familiar enough with Wilkinsons to be able to tell you if one would have made a difference in this particular instance or not.

12. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I think a an all-mahogany JM with a rosewood board might be a little on the dark/muddy side. At the least, I'd recommend a pau ferro fingerboard over rosewood.

-Ben

13. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

How about mahogany body, maple neck/rosewood board?

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

That's a lot closer to the usual bolt-on formula and should work well.

15. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

What would you recommend pickup wise? I was looking at having it routed for humbuckers but a P90 neck pickup might be interesting as well.

16. B Vance

B Vance Member

I like the idea of P90's. It's a jazzmaster.

17. Crazyquilt

At this point, it doesn't sound like you're much interested in a Jazzmaster at all. I'm not exactly a purist, but a Jazzmaster is a pretty idiosyncratic beast. It sounds like you're interested in a guitar shaped like a Jazzmaster, but having nothing else in common (wood, bridge, pickups) with a JM. Obviously, that's your choice -- it's your guitar, and it may well turn out to be excellent. I think, though, it'd be tough for anyone to guess what's giong to work, and how. Which makes it a fun adventure, granted, but also a gamble. You're almost looking at a Fenderized Explorer.

Again, I know there's a guy over at the Fender Forum who's done similar stuff, including a mahogany JM with, iirc, a minihum & p-90 & a Bigsby -- check out the JM/Jag forum. His username is candymanjack.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

Yeah, this will be a JM in shape, only.

"Idiosyncratic".. is right, as far as OEM version .:dude

19. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Yeah. I think your right. It's funny that you mention a "Fenderized Explorer." I have an Explorer which I absolutely love. Maybe I should go with the more classic style woods and pick-ups. The tremolo is the only thing that really bothers me about the Jazzmasters...but then again that's probably part of it's charm as well. Looks like it's just going to be a roll of the dice. Thanks for the input guys!

20. Crazyquilt

Don't get me wrong -- I don't mean to dump on your ideas AT ALL. You might come up with something really cool. Actually, the closest thing I can think of to what you're talking about is a Reverend Warhawk HB. And it is really cool:

[​IMG]

I've got one -- mahogany body, maple/rosewood neck, 'buckers. I adore it -- my first humbucker guitar in years, and I'm totally besotted. And, you can get one with a trem (it's a Les Trem -- replaces the TOM endpiece, and, from all reports, works very well.) But it doesn't sound absolutely anything like my AVRI '62 Jazzmaster.

So, absolutely, you can do somthing with the specs you're talking about that sounds awesome, but it's just not going to sound like a Jazzmaster.

OTOH, if you do decide to go closer to a JM, there are hotter JM pickups that will keep a similar character to a JM, but add some interesting tweaks. Curtis Novak has quite a few -- I've got a set of his pickups, a vintage neck & a bridge pickup biult like a P-90. I just sent the bridge back because it was a little hotter than I wanted, but I've heard others rave about it. Curtis is going to pull a couple thousand winds off it, which will likely open the pickup up a bit, soundwise. He's great to work with, definitely, and stands behind his work 110%.