Warmoth LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stu2, Jun 12, 2006.

1. stu2

stu2 Member

Anybody put together a Warmoth Les Paul? If yes, how do you like it and what did you end up paying for the completed package (hardware and all)?

2. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

I researched Warmoth LPs for a while, and never put one together. But a lot of people have said that even though it is a bolt-on neck it was surprisinly every bit as good as - if not better than - a Gibson.

And if the headstock were to break, you can fix it yourself. Major plus.

I think I priced it out once and reached somewhere near $600 using Mighty Mite P90's. But, again, I never ordered it.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I've never played it next to a Gibson, but to my ears it does have every bit of THAT tone:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The neck is mahogany/ebony, 24.75", '59 roundback contour, 12" radius, 6150 frets. The body was a 1-piece mahogany/wild maple cap they had in the showcase. The tuners and bridge/tailpiece are Gotoh (the ones Warmoth has).

The pickups are a PRS Dragon I Bass (N) and a DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF (B). The controls are neck volume, master volume, master tone with a push/pull that puts the pu's in series and a 3-position rotary that gives me full humbucker, inner coils and outer coils. Until recently I had different pu's that didn't work too well but since I changed them it's become my can't-put-it-down guitar.

I think it cost me about $1100 in total, including the finish and the special options (Warmoth charges a lot for non-standard neck contours and radiuses).

4. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I'm making an lp from warmoth. I'm just starting to buy the parts. The neck should be here in 3 weeks!

Clorenzo, I've ordered the same specs on my neck as you (except for the frets). How does the 59' roundback feel? I also have a warmoth standard thin neck which feels much too thin for me.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I love it. I like chunky necks in general and the rounded shape is very comfortable, one of those where as soon as you pick it up it feels as if you had been playing it for years. My all time favourite is the PRS wide fat on my CE22, which is about the same thickness but a different shape (more of a soft V), but I can switch between the two without a problem, the feel is really close.

6. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I priced one out last winter but realized that for the price (about $1400 if you want all the bells-and-whistles) I could buy a used Gibson standard LP and have the real deal with a set neck. I've played a bolt on LP next to a real LP and there's a difference in tone; it's not the real thing. Someone posted above about having the advantage of being able to fix a broken headstock yourself with the bolt on, but an LP neck from Warmoth with all the bells-and-whistles costs about $600 to $700 when you're all done, which isn't that much less than it costs to fix a broken headstock. I'd strongly suggest saving up and looking for a deal on a used Gibson, I think you'll be happier in the end

7. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

I went through the same evaluation as TwoGeez - and decided not to go for a Warmoth project - at least with new parts. If some used parts came up on Ebay, or some other place I might consider it, just to try it out.

8. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I'm making a warmoth because gibson tends to cut corners (fretwork, binding, finishing ect.) and I rather not pay for the name on the headstock. With warmoth I'm just paying for quality wood. I've ordered from warmoth before and have not played on a better feeling neck. Quality woods, immulacate fretwork, double expanding truss rod (can't get that from gibson!).

So if the choice is between gibson and warmoth, $1400 for a used gibson that will probably need some attention or $1400 a brand new warmoth lp that has nothing wrong with it, I'd take the warmoth every time.

I don't really care if it's not a set neck, I perfer bolt-ons.

9. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Here is mine, I put it together after I made a couple of warmoth strats, it was fun, since I wanted a trem and different pups. Cost me about 1k since I had some extra parts lying around. I like it since I can change the neck out anytime. I'm a PRS guy, so I went with a PRS like neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

11. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

yeah cherryburst, that one on the site is nice too

12. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Double expanding truss in an LP???? Only a vintage rod will do if you want THAT tone. Plus, you don't always get good wood from Warmoth or any other custom builder for that matter. $1400 is a big risk if you end up with a stale piece of wood. If you buy a used Gibson atleast you can try it out first to make sure it sounds good (assuming of course you don't buy it off the bay or the net). Moreover, here's another thing to consider: resale value. Projectpauls don't have nearly as good a resale value as Projectstrats; their just isn't a huge demand for bolt on LPs... especially when you can buy a set neck Epi for $500.

13. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Bolt-on neck, 24 frets, single-coils, trem-- looks like a nice guitar, but quite a deviation from a Les Paul design!!

14. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hello,
    Has anyone here tried buying a Warmoth body and then installing a set-neck? I mean, is that at all possible?

15. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

For a project Strat or Paul-- what are the odds of getting a "stale piece of wood" (body or neck) from Warmoth, USA Custom or wherever?

16. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I have a double rod in my strat neck and it sounds the same if not better than the original neck. I don't think a truss rod is gonna take any guitar from "that tone" to "tone?". I am not concerned about resale value, I plan to have this guitar forever. If one of my kids (whenI'm a father) gets into guitar, I might pass it down to him/her.

The way I look at it is that wood is wood. Gibson dosen't sprinkle tone dust on their trees (or have they started that?). All woods grow under the sun. All that matters is the way there put together. I know for a fact gibson cuts corners in different areas and I've seen myself and heard from people the kind of quality work warmoth does.

I couldn't be happier to go with warmoth.

17. apd

apd Member

I have to throw my $0.02 in. I agree that resale value isn't necessarily a big factor for me. I have been debating a project with a flat top LP body with a strat style hardtail bridge. The main thing for me is that I absolutely love USACG necks, and I have a spare mahogany tele neck with rosewood board lying around that needs a minor repair (super soft V with 7.25-9.5" compund radius). With the neck/bridge combo I won't need an angled neck pocket. Its not that I want an exact LP clone, but I like the LP body shape. I have a real LP Studio that I'm trying to sell, I never could bond with that neck, the back shape gives me wrist cramps.

18. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

This guitar has everything I don't like on a LP style guitar:

3 pickups, trem, 24 frets, selector switch location, funny headstock, gold hardware . . . yet still . . I really like it!:rotflmao

19. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

thats why I built it, it was different and fun.

I'm stuck with these to play otherwise

[​IMG]

and my new PRS SC SE

[​IMG]

20. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

You got it rough buddy!

I'm building a warmoth lp because I'm a do it yourself kinda guy. With gibson your paying for the name and not always for a quality product. With warmoth your paying for a quality product, warmoth isn't a big guitar name in the guitar world.

I'm also a very paticular guy and want to make sure things are done right.