• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Warmoth Neck Questions

más_fuerte

Gold Supporting Member
I'm putting together a Strat partscaster and I'm planning to order a Warmoth neck to go with an Olympic White body. I'm specifically looking at a Roasted Flame Maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard. Got a couple questions though before I pull the trigger...

1) Do I need to get a finish on the roasted flame maple necks, or do they feel good unfinished? If finished, which of the finish options would you recommend? (Clear Gloss, Clear Satin Nitro, etc.)

2) What are your thoughts on the 59 Roundback vs Fatback? I love fat necks, but I'm worried the Fatback might be too thick.

ragamuffin

Silver Supporting Member
You do not need a finish on their roasted maple, and they feel great either raw/left as is or even better polished/burnished with high grit sandpaper

The 59 Roundback is really comfy, I'd describe it as on the chunkier side of "medium". No experience with the Fatback.

Gclef

I have a fatback and a 59. You're in luck today!

I had the same dilemma back in '99 when I ordered the fatback. I was blissful until I got the 59 10 years later.

The fatback is.....fat. 1 inch thick all the way down. It is a true half circle near the 12th fret. I find it comfortable with the 6130 frets I have on it.
I get around easily on it, but I kinda feel like it would be tons better if it was .95" instead of a full inch.

The 59 carve is the perfect neck, IMO. It never seems like it's in the way, or tires/cramps my hand.

I play with my thumb halfway between thumb over and thumb behind the neck (sorta under the a string I guess?)
The fatback is too big for this, while the 59 is great.

So, all that to say:
If I had a chance to do it over, I would have gone 59 from the get go.

TB72

The 59 is by far my favorite Warmoth neck carve (I have them on a few partscasters). The Fatback is noticeably bigger, similar to some of the chunkier offerings on Gibson 57/58 reissue Les Pauls, or the original necks on the Jeff Beck Strats.

I would prefer the Fatbacks to the skinny offerings from Ibanez, Music Man, etc. but the 59 for me is the perfect compromise. It fills up my palm enough that I don't get hand cramps (which skinny necks can do to me), but it doesn't feel like playing a tree trunk (which some folks might feel about the Fatback).

And as mentioned above, you don't need a finish on a roasted maple neck. (Technically, you don't NEED a finish on any neck, but with the roasted maple, it doesn't void the warranty.)

TeamJA

Silver Supporting Member
I have both as well, but the fatback is on my tele. I love fat/chunky necks and echo the two previous posters. I'd go with the '59.

I like having both though. Remember, the fatback is fat!

BadgerDave

Double Platinum Member
Remember to be careful when installing tuner ferrules and screws on a roasted maple neck. You need to ream out the holes and use a slightly larger drill bit for the screws. If you have too much resistance there's a good chance of causing a crack across the tuner holes. Just snug enough that the ferrules don't fall out is right.

Ask me how I know. :bonk

Bucksfan70

I'm putting together a Strat partscaster and I'm planning to order a Warmoth neck to go with an Olympic White body. I'm specifically looking at a Roasted Flame Maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard. Got a couple questions though before I pull the trigger...

1) Do I need to get a finish on the roasted flame maple necks, or do they feel good unfinished? If finished, which of the finish options would you recommend? (Clear Gloss, Clear Satin Nitro, etc.)

2) What are your thoughts on the 59 Roundback vs Fatback? I love fat necks, but I'm worried the Fatback might be too thick.
1. i would either get a non finished or satin neck if you are getting a rosewood fretboard. the non finished and satin necks are faster and you really won't see it much anyways because the fretboard will be covered with rosewood and the headstock will be the the roasted color.

also, if you are getting a roasted flame maple neck you might not want to get a rosewood fretboard at all. you are covering it up with the rosewood and might just be a better idea to go with the color of the roasted and flame maple (very nice looking IMO).

2. i would go down to a music store and play a few and feel for yourself which type feels better and go with that one.

más_fuerte

Gold Supporting Member
What’s the difference in feel between the Clear Gloss finish vs the Clear Satin Nitro?

microzyma

also, if you are getting a roasted flame maple neck you might not want to get a rosewood fretboard at all. you are covering it up with the rosewood and might just be a better idea to go with the color of the roasted and flame maple (very nice looking IMO).
When I ordered my flame Tele neck the rep told me Warmoth uses separate neck and fretboard construction on roasted maple necks regardless of fretboard wood. I don't know how close the flame matches but they can probably get some nice looking boards

rauchman

I have 3 Warmoth necks. 2 Standard Thin and 1 Wolfgang (59 Roundback'ish on the thumb side and Standard Thin'ish on the finger side).

I had the Wolfgang first. I REALLY like the profile of this neck. Built a 2nd guitar and bought 2 Standard Thin necks for it. I do like the Standard Thin, but like the Wolfgang better.

I'm planning on building another partscaster and will have a 59 Roundback for it. From what I've read, seems to be the Goldilocks of their profiles.

PatriotBadger

How patient are you?

You don't need a finish on a roasted maple neck, and they feel great as is, but I put a tung oil finish on mine and IMO it feels even better, and provides a moisture barrier and thin protective layer. I use pure tung oil which is a pain in the arse and takes about 3 days per coat to dry, and I use 6 or 7 coats, so it ends up taking almost a month to complete the finish. When it's done though, it feels like silk and makes the wood absolutely gorgeous. If people saw what their figured necks looked like when tung oiled, I bet damn near everyone would do it. Plus, it prevents hand funk from getting embedded in the grain.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 59 Roundback in roasted maple. Left it unfinished.

Love the feel of it.

A_F

A few years ago I bought a used Warmoth Boat Neck for my strat - it installed with zero setup issues, by the way. It's got the same 1" all the way up but it doesn't have the shoulders of the Fatback. I wouldn't call it a V, it doesn't feel like a V. I love it - I've never been able to try a '59, and tried a Fatback only briefly on someone else's guitar.

I also have a parts jazzmaster I bought with a Warmoth Standard Thin - which is fine, but not quite chunky enough for me - but it's a great guitar so I keep it.

Both have gloss nitro finishes and both can feel a bit sticky in humid weather. I prefer a satin finish.

I'm totally sold on Warmoth quality, by the way. Great stuff.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
A few years ago I bought a used Warmoth Boat Neck for my strat - it installed with zero setup issues, by the way. It's got the same 1" all the way up but it doesn't have the shoulders of the Fatback. I wouldn't call it a V, it doesn't feel like a V. I love it - I've never been able to try a '59, and tried a Fatback only briefly on someone else's guitar.

I also have a parts jazzmaster I bought with a Warmoth Standard Thin - which is fine, but not quite chunky enough for me - but it's a great guitar so I keep it.

Both have gloss nitro finishes and both can feel a bit sticky in humid weather. I prefer a satin finish.

I'm totally sold on Warmoth quality, by the way. Great stuff.
The gloss finish is poly, only the satin finish is nitro.

The 59 profile is my favorite so far, although I'd like to try the SRV profile.

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
I have them in '59 shape and a Boatneck/roasted maple unfinished. I love the Boatneck personally, which is as thick as the Fatback but more of a V shape. Haven't tried the fatback but sure I'd like it too.
Unfinished roasted maple all the way, feels very nice.
Just remember you'll want to do some basic fretwork (fret end filing and possibly leveling/crowning the frets) and nut sanding to make it right.

Trending Topics