warmoth neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neastguy, May 9, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

are these necks better than say your typical strat necks? they sure look nice, just never exp. one... I'm tempted to take a stab on ebay on some of those combo fender bodies and warmoth necks...

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

Some people (including me) think they're the best necks available. The workmanship is leagues better than the Fenders, and you can specify exactly what details you'd like. I've never had a bad one, myself.

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

The neck I got from warmoth is the best electric guitar neck I ever played on ... really.

Its made my squier strat into a beast. It's more resonant with longer sustain, and this is only the neck I replaced!

I plan to build an lp from them. In the end you have to choose if you want to use there parts but I strongly recomend them.

4. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...I greatly prefer the single truss rod to the double. Mine is the SRV profile which is super comfy and on the fat side, vintage/modern construction, ss frets. Great neck. :dude

5. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I used a Warmouth fretless P-bass neck for a project bass - a friend built me a beautiful bird's eye P-bass style maple body. I converted it to a 5-string, and the Warmouth neck has been steady (for a wooden neck) for more than 10 years. The neck (but not the finish!) even survived my brother's long term borrowing and gigging with it. The neck sounds good too - this bass growls when you give it the finger vibrato. So, I think the Warmouth product is high quality.

But, given the cost of new guitars (especially imports), all the replacement necks and bodies seem overpriced to me - especially for finished necks. I think Warmouth only warranties finished necks. Also - "assembling" a guitar from parts is easy - finishing it properly definitely isn't. You need a good spray booth and lots of practice. I used a local luthier to finish and set up my instrument - ka ching$$.

Finally, if you ever wanna (or hafta) sell your beloved project guitar, you will not get anywhere near what you have have spent on it - not to mention the time invested. I put around $800 into my bass, but I bet it would not sell for $300 - if at all.

So, while I had "fun" building my bass, I now think it is smarter to upgrade using existing or damaged instruments, Or to search patiently for a nice used custom instrument. They are usually already finished.

Good luck!

6. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Wow.........

7. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

8. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Better is a subjective determination. Warmoth is licensed by Fender to produce exact replicas of their necks. If you purchase a vintage or vintage with modern features neck, it will sound just like a Fender does.

Here's a pic of a birdseye maple neck I picked from the Warmoth showcase for $165. The same neck would have cost about $30 more from USA Custom:

[​IMG]

While I have criticized Warmoth in the past on a number of issues, they have clearly tried to improve on their product. The fret work on the neck in the pic was stellar right out of the box and verified with pro straightedges.

9. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

What you saw in pic was more of an optical illusion or distortion created by the camera than a serious flaw. The portion of the neck extending beyond the open side of the neck pocket is less than one 64/th of an inch. Frankly, it never occurred to me to be so anal about such things. :D

[​IMG]

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

This is pretty weird. Why would anyone compare guitar finishes to illegal immigrants?

11. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Let's just say Warmoth's been going thru a lot of personel changes & I've heard rumors that some of the employees fall in that classification...

EDIT: Since the info I have is hearsay & not first-hand knowledge I edited my original post to be fair.

12. jgraham

jgraham Member

I just had a less than enjoyable experience ordering a Warmoth neck. Next time I'm going USA Custom.

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well I am just about to embark on a "build my dream" Tele project using a USA Custom body and neck .. fingers crossed .. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
    I was considering the other suppliers as well but USA Custom had a body ready that was just what I was looking for figured to be sure get the neck from them for the right fit.
    Also getting some Roxy fin work ..

14. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Excuse me? Slam? Attack? Where? I merely pointed to a previous thread where you explained your issues with Warmoth so that people know where you're coming from when you talk about them. What you said and what people replied is there, my "facts" couldn't be straighter.

I have no problem whatsoever with your opinion of Warmoth, you're entitled to it, I just happen not to share it. My post was just an attempt to prevent this thread from turning into that thread: "Why do you say that?", "Oh, look what they did to me", "Wow, that's bad" or "Well, that top looks great to me and you should have checked it earlier", etc. Why waste bandwidth when it's already there.

15. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

Here is a tip to avoid this type of ugliness in the future:

Click the button labeled "user cp" and then click the "ignore list" link. Enter in the name of your least-favorite forumite and then "submit."

Presto! No more racial slurs.

16. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I've ordered many bodies and necks from Warmoth. Everything has been absolutely top notch quality, no issues whatsoever. Lots of options, licensed Fender shapes, excellent finish work (poly) if you need it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. BigDoug1053

Beautiful guitar, fullerplast! Yow! Love that quilt! I always have kept an eye out for a tele-style body with Strat appointments - but most tele players are hard-tailers (I guess).

18. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

19. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Very nice Fullerplast and Hodge!
    Hopefully in a month or three I'll be able to post mine
    and eh I love hardtails ... so that's what it'll be.

20. BigDoug1053

Here's my birdseye maple project bass with Warmouth birdseye neck. The body was made by Nicky Mathews and is thinner than a Fender. The pickups are active EMGs.:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]