Warmoth nuts, graphite and LSR tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    Has anyone had experience with the nuts installed on necks from Warmoth? Do they cut the nut slots good? I'm trying to decide between an LSR and a graphite nut from them to go with a strat that will use locking tuners and a two point trem. Would one be better over the other as far as tuning stability, and performace for trem use? Also, what kind of differences in tone could I expect from the two?

Thanks!:JAM

2. Tone

Tone Member

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Hey, Tone, I'm mostly posting here now so you don't go ballistic like that Hawk guy because no one responded to your thread. ;)

Seriously, for my only Warmoth guitar, I had them omit the nut so I guess I can't directly answer your question from personal experience. Thought I would mention, though, that I'm digging the brass nut I had my luthier install for me. Honestly, I have no idea how different (if at all) the guitar would sound with a bone nut (my usual choice) but it sure looks cool. :)

[​IMG]

4. rooster

rooster Member

Don't know if this will help you much, but I have 2 strats with the Fender American Standard 2-point trem. One is an American Standard Fender, the other is a Warmoth. Both are equipped with Fender locking tuners (schaller, I believe), and both have bone nuts. If the slots are filed correctly (I do them myself), and you have just a touch of that guitar nut lube from GHS (white lithium grease with ground porcelain and graphite), the guitars stay in tune very well. I never have a tuning problem with either guitar. As for the LSR or a graphite nut, I can say that I don't like the LSR nut at all (just personal opinion), too "tinny" sounding; the graphite nut, well, that's personal taste. I know I've tried graph-tech saddles and they sound like poo on a strat, very dull and muted compared to Fender saddles, so I didn't bother with trying a graphite nut.

Hope this helps. If your nut is slotted correctly, you should have no problems with that tremolo.

rooster.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I haven't tried the LSR nut. But I think I would pass. I think it has too many moving parts. I like graphite. But really I think bone would be fine. And it should outlast graphite as it is denser. And have you considered brass? Malmsteen uses it.

6. Tone

Tone Member

I'm putting the guitar together myself, but I don't know how to do nuts. Never tried. I don't know of anyone around me that does them either, that's why I was going to have Warmoth do it. Would the safer bet be to have Warmoth just install an LSR nut instead of graphite? That way atleast I know I won't have to worry about the nut slots being off or anything. :) I have an LSR on a deluxe and it seems to stay in tune really well with locking tuners and two point trem.

Rooster,
    which schaller locking tuners do you have? The one that warmoth sells with the little screw on the back, or the one that come on Fenders? I've been trying to decide between the two. My deluxe has the Fender/schaller one which I think is nicer, but if I get the one from Warmoth I can have them do all the reaming for the tuning holes.

Thanks to everyone so far for the tips!

7. Tone

Tone Member

These are the ones I want to use, but I'm not sure how to drill for those two little guide things sticking out. Can anyone tell me how to do it properly so everything works right the first time? Also, anyone know what the diameter is so I can have Warmoth drill for these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=361328

Thanks!

8. John Catto

John Catto Member

9. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

My late 2Cents

I have had graphite, bone, LSR, brass, and even fossil ivory used for nuts, and the best tone was the bone.

But, it won't matter if you are using your trem a lot, or play high gain tunes, because the tuning is more important than a small increase in tone.

I like the LSR nuts, but I hit the whammy pretty hard (Hendrix, not metal). I play classic rock and oldies, with some hard rock thrown in.

After a string change, I put some WD-40 in my nut slots ... graphite oil works great too ... you can't cut a nut well enough to handle real trem use. It needs lubrication. Even my guitar with a graphite nut needs a bit of oil in the slots to keep the strings from hanging when hitting the whammy. It is almost always the G and D strings that hang.

I also put new strings on before every gig.

With your setup, I would go with the LSR nut. The one I had installed on an American Deluxe strat worked great, it did not need a locking bridge, and the tone of the guitar did not suffer at all.

For kicks, try the Elixer strings ... they work well, especially with the LSR nut, as the poly coating keeps them moving between the nut slots.

Hope some of that is useful info ....

10. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I have a Warmoth neck on my #1 Strat. I had them install a corian nut when I ordered it. It looks completely factory clean and I am satisfied with how they cut it. No problems here.

Scott L.

11. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

My wife's J bass neck from Warmoth has a factory corian nut and it's cut as good as anything else I've seen, and set up great.

12. John_M

John_M Member

Graph Tech sells the nuts pre cut. I've used them on 2 projects and they worked fine for me. I checked for clearance on the first fret with 10s and it looked good. I'm sure if you're super picky something is not exact, but I was happy with it. I use the Nut Sauce in the grooves and it holds tune very well.

Tone is subjective, but it's only on open strings anyway, and if you play with gain, or effects Iwouldn't think it would be as noticeable.

13. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Wicked good point .... it is only the open strings that would be effected ...

14. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys,
    I emailed Warmoth and they don't install LSR nuts. They just slot out the neck to work with them. Would this be easy to install myself?

They do install and pre-cut the graphite, and they use the same gauge slots as I use strings. They also said they take the fret size into consideration when slotting. I'll most likely be using something on the bigger side. Maybe the 6105, or maybe even try the jumbos. Do you guys see any problems with a certain size and the LSR nut? Anyone happen to know what size frets come on the American DLX strats?

15. rooster

rooster Member

Coupla things:

I use the tuners with the "F" logo on the back from Fender. I could get them locally at the M&P shop, so I bought them there. They work extremely well. As far as WD40 in a nut slot, DON'T DO IT. WD40 is not only NOT a lubricant (it is a water displacer for machinery), it's very thin, and the oily carrier will sink into the wood under the nut, not only destroying the wood at that spot, but weakening the glue holding the fretboard on. At medium to high levels of gain, the nut composition may not make a difference, but with open chords on clean settings, it absolutely will.

My opinions only, YMMV.

rooster.

16. Tone

Tone Member

Considering I would have the neck routed for the LSR by Warmoth, how hard is it to install an LSR nut properly? Can anyone walk me through it, or give me some pointers? :) Also to those of you who use the LSR, what size frets do you use?

Thanks!:RoCkIn

17. Moat

Moat Member

Easy as pie - the LSR is held in place with two tiny Phillips head screws (requires a jeweler's screwdriver) - Warmoth pre-drills the screw holes. Just drop the nut in place, and screw it down. Height adjustment shims are included with the nut, just slip 'em in place under the nut, as needed. Works good, lasts a long time!

The only problem might be in the depth of the slot - on one of my Warmoth necks, the slot was cut a fair smidgen too deep, and I ended up making my own shim/spacer from aluminum sheet stock (approx. .032") to bring the nut up where it belonged. Spacer was cut to mimic the footprint of the nut itself. Took a little xtra time, but functions and looks fine. The supplied shims are a bit thinner/finer than what I felt it needed as an initial height.

The other neck (w/SS frets) was perfect (low) with no shims - just nut on wood. Warmoth could stand to pay a little more attention to consistency/QC in their cutting of these LSR slots, IMO.

I use 6100 and SS (6105?) frets on both of my Warmoth/LSR Strats.

I like the LSR for it's tuning stability, reliability, and ease of set-up (I prefer a low nut action - the LSR makes it easy to acheive). Open chords sound just fine, too - IMHO.

18. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks Moat!
    How did you go about lining up the left to right alignment? I'm thinking since the LSR is only offered for 1 11/16" nut width, If I get a neck at that width it should'nt need much adjustment? Do you feel a big difference between your 6105 and 6100 frets?

Thanks for the tips.:RoCkIn

19. Moat

Moat Member

Hopefully, they'll drill the mount holes in the right spot, and the nut will be centered on it's own. The two tiny mount screws are countersunk into the nut, so there's no L/R adjustment possible (unless you fill the holes in the wood, and re-drill - which itself is no big deal, really... toothpicks and wood glue!). There is a little bit of L/R leeway in the slot, to do that (re-position the nut) - as the slot's a tiny bit longer than the nut itself (for instance, if you prefer the high E string to be further from the fretboard edge than the low E string).

*Correction* - the SS frets I have are the 6115's (pyramid shape) - they feel very similar to the 6100's. Until somebody comes out with a shred-happy, stainless steel super-wide Jumbo (shaped like some old Ibanez/Charvels I've owned and preferred the feel of) - if I were to order another neck, it'd be the SS 6115's. Great wear, intonation, and smooth, glassy bends... love the SS. Both the 6100 and the SS 6115 profile feel a little "bumpier" than ideal to me, when sliding up and down the neck - but not excessively so, and it's easy enough to accustom to. Probably just me!

YMMV, tho... :)

20. Tone

Tone Member

Awesome, thanks!