Warmoth Painted Bodies VS MJT?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So you can get a Warmoth painted body for about $295. Lots of nice colors and decent weight. My question is how do these sound? I fear I may be brainwashed by the Nitro only thought process. I have painted my own bodies in the past and it's a lot of work. MJT bodies sometimes go for a good price but often are $400. Would they sound noticeably better than a urethane Warmoth body?

2. rambleon

rambleon Silver Supporting Member

This probably has been debated ad nauseam here in the past, but from my perspective, people opt for MJT because of the nitro/ relic aesthetic. Warmoth bodies will be brand new looking, MJT will be worn or aged, depending on your preference. Sound-wise, it's the wood you use to some extent and mainly the pickups.

Mpcoluv, smallbutmighty and Stike like this.
  3. agiehler

agiehler Supporting Member

In my experience it's more of a different feel vs different sound, provided both are about the same weight. Do you want a thin "aged" finish or production line fresh?

4. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Warmoth bodies always seem to be heavier, and there’s something about their shape that I don’t like, I can’t quite tell what it is.

Neverwhere likes this.
  5. Killcrop

\

Do they seem bulky?

6. Killcrop

I don't really care about the aging. I like Relics as long as it doesn't look like a belt sander was playing the guitar. But I am also fine with a new looking guitar. Urethane is the type of finish that chips in big chunks thought right? That I don't like.

saltbird likes this.
  7. agiehler

agiehler Supporting Member

Yes that's how it wears naturally, but it takes a lot to make it happen. Like a large drop or smack. The thin MJT finishes will dent and scratch easily so you'll generally have to be more careful with the guitar if you care about any of that.

8. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely not...

a piece of lumber is a piece of lumber, and the CNC on which it is shaped, and or the guy that pushes the "ON" button will have no impact on the tonal quality of the guitar...

a body made to specs will feel the same as any other body made to specs, not considering the weight..

Rk

9. jklotz

jklotz Member

Nitro feels different to me, especially when I'm sweating, like on a gig. Feel and looks, imho, should be the deciding factors.

Ymmv

10. guitarben

guitarben Supporting Member

I've done a handful of Warmoths (painted and unpainted). My favorite one was a wet sanded tung oil finish. That guitar resonates for days, but it's not what most people are after (I have this thing for old N4s). Anyway, my strat was their Mary kaye white finish. Dude it's awesome. Looks great, feels great, sounds great. I think you're over thinking this, you'll be happy with either.

11. 12guitdown

12guitdown Supporting Member

FWIW, MJT can make them non-relic’d too. Check their website. I know it’s more expensive doing a direct order with MJT instead of waiting for the right one to be auctioned off on eBay. The heavy relics and even some medium ones, to me anyway, can look way overdone. I do prefer a nitro look over poly. It’s a subjective debate though.

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  12. Killcrop

It's the paint that I was really more concerned about. Each piece of wood is going to have it's own effect. I get it. But the nitro vs poly or urethane is really the question.

13. Ron Kirn

Not really.... forget completely about anything you have heard regarding any kind of paint having any effect on the sound you guitar produces... forget it completely....

while it IS true, anything you do to a guitar will alter its voice, stuff like paint does so at a level far below the threshold of noticeability.... ( so does most of everything else these guys wanna pontificate about too) You would need an acoustic lab, about a million bux worth of equipment to analyze the signal,, and a tech, making about a hundred grand a year to operate it... to actually detect the differences..

the whole conundrum is further exacerbated by the fact that each guitar , because of so many things contributing to the sound, will sound different, despite how carefully you try to make them alike, you could paint one with one kind of paint, and the other with a different paint and they sound more alike than different...

this paint = sound folly is an irreconcilable question... it's like what got here first the chicken or. . .

Getting what YOU WANT is far more important than getting what a buncha guys on a forum tell you you need.... and I don't care if they guys are Keef Richard, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Paige, and SRV resurrected... and that's true every time... those guys will not be playing your guitar, you will however..

rk

14. runningman

runningman Member

all true...for solid-body electrics

Pablo likes this.
  15. stratamania

stratamania Member

My Warmoth finished bodies sound absolutely fine.

yakyak likes this.
  16. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

I picked up a Fender Esquire recently that has a Warmoth body in satin Daphne or Sonic blue. It's light and resonant when played unplugged. I converted it to a Tele and this thing goes toe to toe with any of my other Tele's. I kind of wish I didn't waste money on my '52 Thinskin because this plays and sounds better to my ears. For the most part I think the pickups and wiring is 90%+ of the tone from any Tele. whether it be pine, ash, alder, poplar and poly or nitro for me doesn't matter.

17. Ron Kirn

Here's the thing .. say you DO have two bodies of the same style. both of the same lumber, from the same tree (like that matters :p) one painted with Nitro the other with Poly... you assemble them being careful to make them as alike as you can..

Ya fire them up, and they sound different . . . well how do you make the determination that it's the paint? You cannot ... You would have to repeat that scenario hundreds of times, at a minimum, under controlled conditions, to determine if the sound difference had a specific similarity that could be attributed to a specific paint coming from the majority of those guitars painted thus.

Even those "results" would be polluted with a litany of variables characteristic of each guitar tried.... It's just an irresolvable query....

No guitar manufacturer would be nuts enough to invest the $$$ into such an experiment... because the results would still be subject to the many varying "tastes" in sound among the marketplace.. why bother..

r

18. Killcrop

Interesting. So the "Thin Skin" is all marketing BS? I guess the only way to know is to change the finish on a particular guitar right?

I do recall reading a great thread on the LPF about Pete Cage having an R7 striped of its original finish and he had a guy re shoot the nitro. If I recall, the sound was totally different when it was done.

19. Killcrop

It would be interesting to get @Husky take on this.

20. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Most of this crap is so subtle and impossible to deterimine without a baseline.

Warmoth bodies are fine. MJT bodies are fine.
    Nitro, poly., whatever. Relic is a finish to me like anything else.

Any finished warmoth body I've had has been fine or better sounding.
    Any MJT I've played has been fine or better sounding.

smallbutmighty likes this.