Warmoth Painted Bodies VS MJT?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Mar 10, 2019.

1. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I almost never get involved in this type of discussion anymore but for some reason I'm in the mood to make an exception today. In my humble opinion the notion that paint can make my guitar sound better is pretty much the same thing as believing paint can make my car go faster.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

If your patient, you can get a MJT body off an ebay auction for $200-$300. That's the route I've chosen a few times.

3. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

There are two new or unreliced MJT strat bodies put up on eBay in the last day. Olympic and surf green. No affiliation here just a fan.

4. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

Nitro ages amazing

Poly ages horribly

Neverwhere likes this.
  5. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

the problem here is that simply disassembling the guitar, doing nothing to anything and reassembling it, will alter the voice at some level... so if you refinish it, unless there's some way to do that without disassembling it, once the paint is dry and the guitar is back together, you have no idea, and no way to determine, if the subtle voice change is due to the paint, or the guitar being reassembled...

this whole concept is a dog chasing its tail scenario. It would take thousands of guitars submitted for analysis, with that analysis conducted under scientifically controlled conditions. "Bubba" can't do anything close to definitive in his "Man Cave" with a Shure SM55, against a 51 Deluxe, into a restored Revox A77 .. simply because the room's acoustic signature will impose it's character on the "print out"... and every time a guitar is changed.. that change will again alter the room's acoustic signature... changing the analysis for THAT guitar... and on and on..

But all those thousands of guitar CAN produce is anecdotal evidence... none of it definitive...

C'mon 'ol Blue, ya cannot catch that thing,... ever... all's gonna happen is you're gonna get tired.. :p

Guys think of the "tone change" like the difference between Plácido Domingo and Bob Dylan .. both do the same thing professionally... when the real difference is more like the Neighbor's cat and yours at 2 AM... both doing the same thing.

r

6. Kostas

Kostas Member

You have two options with Warmoth: Check their showcase for a lightweight body (many to choose) or custom order and ask (and pay extra) for a light one. All the bodies I got from them were all from the showcase and they were light to medium weight.

Their finishes are great too. Many different finishes and great quality.

big mike and smallbutmighty like this.
  7. Dashface

Dashface Member

I stripped the paint from an R7 and had MJT re-shoot it. It looks much better now but I couldn’t say it sounds different.

big mike and Bossanova like this.
  8. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Nice, I have one with him now. Pics?

9. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Would the light absorbency have an effect on the speed of the vehicle, particularly on a hot day? i.e. black vs. silver or white? :D

10. jiml

jiml Member

I will buy MJT every time, over anyone else. The level of detail and their desire to "get it right" won me over.

stormtrooper likes this.
  11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Warmoth bodies are not completely accurate shape wise. (Yet they are licensed by FMIIC) Not sure if that matters to you but I'd mention it only cause it may. If it were me I'd buy the MJT. Tone wise everything is crap shoot if you have Bionic ears. As I've said years ago I believe the pickups in your guitar are probably 80% of the guitars sound. Generally If I have any reason to not like a guitars sound a pickup swap will usually do the trick.

Dashface likes this.
  12. JPenn

JPenn Member

i have a few different s type bodies ive used over the years from different companies, and all seem to be pretty decent. the 1 thing with warmoth is the upper horn is a tad bit different than strats. if that doesnt bug u, u'll be good

13. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

Ive owned several Warmoth bodys finished in their own Polly, always very flat & dead sounding. Right now, MJT is finishing a lightweight strat body in nitro,& it’s gona be killer!! Aged Polly looks awful & sounds dead. Nitro ages so nicely & MJT RELIC work is the best!!

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Getting around to replacing my Esquire. MJT was the ticket

movingpictures and 12guitdown like this.
  15. rambleon

rambleon Supporting Member

Not really. I have a couple of old poly guitars that have aged quite gracefully. Of course, the poly was well applied and not several layers thick. I even had an old Epi LP custom that started to show finish checking on the top. I couldn't believe it when I saw that- not the widespread cracks you see on vintage LPs, just a few stray lines.
    On the other had, poor handling and ownership can 'age' nitro horribly. Just search Reverb and you see examples of the horrible nitro blistering/ melting where the guitars were in contact with the wrong surfaces, chunks of finish gouged out from the headstock, or other weird maladies.

As much as I love the feel of my nitro-finished guitars, I hate the fussiness involved with its care and storage and how delicate it is as a top coat.

16. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I've refinished a nitro-finished guitar with thin polyurethane. No difference, except the finish still looks better now than the factory one did, 18 years later. I think the thickness of the finish matters more than the composition.

17. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Just as an aside: Warmoth's Fender license has absolutely nothing to do with bodies. At all. Its scope is 100% limited to the use of certain headstock shapes.

Some would argue we don't get those right either, to which I would respond: neither does Fender, over the years. :)

baiff, PaisleyWookie and big mike like this.
  18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Colder would shave .00005 off the ET in the 1/4 mile due to the denser fuel charge.

19. big mike

Depends on who's pushing that thing into the belt sander.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  20. big mike

One of my favorite things to point out ever.

I get nailed all the time for 'how come you like those dipped in glass mile thick PRS finishes.

Then I show where the finish has sank, and chips where it's nto all that thick.

This minutia debate cracks me up. If it sounds good, It is good.
    I can hear wood clearly for differences. Finishes? Meh. One of the times I'll agree with Mr. Kirn.

rambleon likes this.