Warmoth Painted Bodies VS MJT?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Mar 10, 2019.

1. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

So......technically a silver car is faster than a black car. In the heat. :D

2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

No cuz both engine compartments are black. :D

rambleon likes this.
  3. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

and me too.. what "kids" today do not realize is the reason the vintage guitars seem to have thin finishes is because the lacquer continues to shrink for years...

back in the 60's when we were hangin' out at Marvin Kay's, we'd gravitate to the newer guitars that had arrived.. the reason is the lacquer was still thick, it looks rich and luxuriant... the "old stock" had been around for a year or so showed the signs of shrinking, you could see the undulations in the surface as the lacquer shrank into the grain... as you see in ANY original guitar from those days.... specially when the body is ash or mahogany, or anything with a pronounced open grain.. the necks didn't appear to be polished at all...

further, many of the original Fenders had TWO finishes on 'em... reason.. if the first got boogered .. it was sent back through the finishing... repainted OVER the original finish.. and on to the polishing... Leo didn't throw, much away that would still work.. And no one gave a thought to what two paint finishes would do tho the sound..

Paint, as a component relative to the voice of the guitar, is purely a product of the misinformed propagating such nonsense over the internet which is 30 years old this week... or guys looking for something to mention as they promoted their guitars... I was as guilty as anyone.. until Bill Lawrence kicked my arse, figuratively speaking...

His basic philosophy was, in a solid body guitar the wood, if you're using wood, is there as a superstructure to hold the components in the relative correct position... the paint was so it wouldn't get nasty as it's handled... you could pick the color you liked, but that was it.. I can't print what he saiy about the "resonant wood" or lightweight nonsense...

as has been said.. bad information can make it around the planet several times before a correction can get up out of bed...

r

4. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I have both MJT and Warmoth. I actually like the Warmoth better and I have always been a nitro snob.

5. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Damnit. :D