Warmoth Partscaster or Strat copy?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bgio, Feb 4, 2012.

1. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Hello all, was hoping for a bit of advice. I have always wanted a strat in sea foam green with a rosewood board. With trying to keep my budget under $2,000, I priced out how much it would cost to get a warmoth partscaster and have also been looking at Danocasters.

I guess my question to you guys would be which would you guys recommend? Are there other strat copies under or around 2K? Any other advice on the matter would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. ddroz

ddroz Member

How about a Fender.You can get a shop lot of guitar with two grand.

3. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Not that much in a self built parts guitar.You will lose your shirt if you ever want to sell it.

Danocaster will probably keeps its resale the best from what I have seen.

Or...like ddroz said. You can get a nice Fender for that money.

4. waygorked

waygorked Member

Try Ron Kirn. Fantastic guitars.There are a ton of small custom builders in the Fender game within your price range.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of Warmoth parts. I've built a few, and they are inevitably better than Fender USA standard quality. But Warmoth is only price competitive if you are buying unfinished necks and bodies and completing them yourself. Otherwise you are up in the same price range as a custom builder like Ron. At which point it becomes unlikely that someone that has built a handful of guitars will have the same attention to detail as someone that has built hundreds.

5. ddroz

ddroz Member

I own a rocketfire Tele.the guitar smokes and was a steal.someone took a bath on it though.You are getting into custom shop territory for that money.If you buy used.You will recoup your loot or even make a profit if you wait to strike on a good deal.

6. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

Warmoth has some high quality stuff if you'd like to build your own guitar. You can customize every small detail also, which is very cool. For around 2k there are a lot of options Fender, G&L etc...

7. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

I have done the parts guitar game a couple times. Let's just say I'm saving for a suhr. There is something about getting a guitar that just "works" perfectly right out of the box.

8. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Parts guitars can be great if you have very specific tastes or needs. They're great for me because I've had wrist problems so I do better with certain necks and I'm fussy about weight, hardware etc. I also used to do repairs so I don't have to pay someone to wire the guitar, cut the nut etc. But they can be a bit of a crap shoot - you never know exactly how a guitar will sound until it's finished.

If there is a pre-built guitar that fits your needs and you find "the one", it's a more predictable outcome for sure.

9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

If you're not looking for any unusual features, then I would 1st run the racks of your local stores. If you can't find what you're looking for there, then I'd start looking around at small builders.

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Yeah run the racks.
    Honestly you should be able to build 2 guitars from warmoth for that budget.

Me I'd send the 2K to Roy at RS Guitarworks....

11. cugel

cugel Member

warmoth or any other thing you put together is way less than two grand. BUT good luck selling it. if you want to spend two grand you have a lot of great great choices, really too many to list. your chances of selling a kirn/dano/k-line etc will be better by far as well.

12. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I had a seafoam Fender Highway One strat awhile back and it was about $500 used. Upgraded the pickups to Fralins and I had a great guitar for under $700. Plus it had a nitro finish. I now have a sonic blue '96 American strat that's a bit nicer, but not by much.

13. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

I would love to find a Highway One in sea foam green. I personally would rather find a cheap, used one and put better parts in. I have already done this to a MIJ '57 RI. I just am having trouble finding a cheap strat in sea foam and a rosewood board.

14. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

RS Guitarworks, protocaster, k-line, danocaster, kirn, fender new/used. All fine choices.