WARMOTH Soloist = Dinky size?

diogoguitar

Calling all Warmoth "Soloist" owners!

Sorry about the dumb question lol but
Is the body BACK CONTOURS (belly cut) of the warmoth "soloist" body like a jackson dinky or a soloist?
For those who don't know the jackson dinky and soloist have slightly different belly cuts (where the dinky has a slightly smaller body overall).

diogoguitar

If I had to guess (and I do) it isn't exactly like either one. I imagine Ken Warmoth used the jigs he was already using for Warmoth Strat Replacement bodies.
got it, thanks! I ask this because I have a Jackson soloist, and out of my 8 other strat/superstrat guitars that's the only one that I wish the belly cut around the upper horn was a little deeper. I just feels that the upper horn cut makes the neck sit a weird angle when I play standing (in my body, the jackson neck keeps angling horizontal and not diagonal, which is the way I like).

I'm probably the 0.00001% of the guitar player population that cares about this... the other guitars sit just fine on my body (ibanez RG, fender strat, warmoth strat, ESP horizon...). None of the others bother me on that regard...

Just another point of data... Jackson redesigned the belly cut around 2013-2014... My guitar is a little older, but I noticed the belly cut is just a little deeper on the soloist. All other strat/superstrat guitars sit just fine on my body. It's just that small thing that half-bothers me.

If the warmoth soloist has a similar back countour as the warmoth strat, I should be in good shape.
So, in your mind, does the Warmoth strat has a similar belly cut shape as the Warmoth soloist then?

Below you can kind of see the newer ones have a deeper cut on Jacksons (I suspect dinkies have always been a little deeper)

For the record, here is the current SL2H
9t8xaK8.jpg

And here is the previous SL2H

KFUQLEL.jpg

Axeplyr

Platinum Supporting Member

if your looking for a custom dinky body i found this place, i plan to order one soon.

I have their DNK body that I need to paint and assemble with a Warmoth neck. Nice body and weight on mine is 3.6 pounds. He's about six weeks out on orders.

Where can you get a 24 fret neck? (I assume their 24 fret body is not just 21 fret plus overhang?)

Where do you see a 24 fret body? KNE's dinky (DNK) requires a 21 or 22 fret neck.

PFDarkside

Where do you see a 24 fret body? KNE's dinky (DNK) requires a 21 or 22 fret neck.
Just looking at the soloist body, on the sidebar they build for 21/22 or 24 and either heel dimension. The 21/22 and vintage will fit Warmoth fine, but does anyone do the Jackson style 24 fret neck/heel? I’ve got the parts for a Warmoth soloist I’m going to start building this week, but a true 24 fret would be cool.

Just looking at the soloist body, on the sidebar they build for 21/22 or 24 and either heel dimension. The 21/22 and vintage will fit Warmoth fine, but does anyone do the Jackson style 24 fret neck/heel? I’ve got the parts for a Warmoth soloist I’m going to start building this week, but a true 24 fret would be cool.

I see what you're saying now. You might try contacting Mitch at KNE. He might do that as an option.

llmonty

I just feels that the upper horn cut makes the neck sit a weird angle when I play standing (in my body, the jackson neck keeps angling horizontal and not diagonal, which is the way I like).

Sorry to bring up a year old post - but just wanted to voice solidarity on this topic. I have a 30 year old (!) warmoth soloist guitar that is one of my main practice guitars, but I have a heck of a time getting it to sit right on my body standing for shows. Never saw anyone else talk about it before. Fine with all sorts of other guitars, but this one is just so odd standing...

diogoguitar

+1.. I love Warmoth products, but they are too stubborn with their decisions. They keep saying that "the change needs to payoff the R&D".. I understand they are a business, but they don't need to profit on every single design.

Also, I guess they don't know what they're missing out by not adding a contoured heel joint like this one (or the fender, or the ESP one). Not having this as an option stopped more than once to buy one of their bodies (and i built several partscasters from them).

I posted this a YEAR ago, and I keep thinking they should do it.
They did the heel below on a handful of guitars. It'd be fantastic to have this heel as an option on the Soloist body.

View attachment 641684

GT1-Reach

Silver Supporting Member
I don't get why there is still not the option for a contoured heel joint. Even if it would be a rather expensive option I would go for it.

You can even get a Strat body with contoured heel joint from MJT guitars and they have the vintage stuff in mind.

I just placed an order for a Strat body at warmoth and because I can't stand the bulky heel on a custom instrument i will have my Luthier do it afterwards. Sadly he needs to destroy the finish in this spot in the process.

But it's gotta be done!

And they need to do a Floyd rose nut on vintage modern construction necks that fits on these Fender contoured heel joints.

GT1-Reach

Silver Supporting Member
Re-reading my last post it kinda sounds like i want to mock Warmoth; this is not the case. I am a BIG fan of Warmoth, but yeah, we want the contoured heel joint.

The Whale

Silver Supporting Member
874D7D6B-2532-48EA-9DD8-EBBBD6D8087F.jpeg

CFC61CEA-9F25-4215-8C7F-36FB050DAEB7.jpeg

I’ve built two soloists from Warmoth this far. The purple one I built in 1996 and has been my main girl ever sense. I’ve tried so many times to unseat her and always come back. She’s had over a dozen pickup combos and four bridges. The natural soloist is my most recent build. Based on a Suhr PT but 24.75 scale. Super fun. It’s by far the most comfortable body to play…and I’m far from a shredder.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom