Warmoth thinline telecaster ash or maple?

kingrazor

I'm really GASing for a thinline telecaster and want to build one from Warmoth. At this point it's down to whether I want an Ash body (my preferred body wood for Fender guitars) or maple (to get a more 335 or Gretsch vibe)

I don't have the chance to try them both before I buy so I really want to have some idea of which one I'll like better. I don't consider body wood to be a huge contributor to tone but I think with hollow and semi hollow bodies it matters a little more.

Ash:

Maple:

If you're going to do a premium figured top Thinline, why cover 40% of it with a scratch plate?

Especially when the control plate area is "traditional". Something like this, just visualize an F hole:

Maple cap over mahogany. Also, look at how fat the right side "horn" is on this guitar. Very "fendery". That Warmoth horn looks cheated. Like settling for Loni Anderson when you were promised Marilyn Monroe. :^) IMO, the Fender shape, you either hit it dead on or depart radically.

Last edited:

kingrazor

If you're going to do a premium figured top Thinline, why cover 40% of it with a scratch plate?

Especially when the control plate area is "traditional". Something like this, just visualize an F hole:

Maple cap over mahogany. Also, look at how fat the right side "horn" is on this guitar. Very "fendery". That Warmoth horn looks cheated. Like settling for Loni Anderson when you were promised Marilyn Monroe. :^) IMO, the Fender shape, you either hit it dead on or depart radically.
Meh, the horn shape doesn't matter a whole lot to me. Warmoth gets close enough for my taste.

As for the pickguard, for me that's part of the look. I feel this way especially on les pauls.

That said, I'm not 100% sure on anything with this build yet.

kingrazor

Yeah, not convinced how that will come out if all maple. Roll of the dice I guess... I had an ash Thinline I really liked.
Yeah I was debating maybe getting a mahogany neck and rosewood board with this build, again for a more 335/Gretsch vibe. But I'm not building one of those I'm building a tele, so I think ash is the way I'm going with this one. Probably maple neck with rosewood board.

For visual balance. IMO, the one you posted looks downright incomplete. Contrast can be an important part of aesthetics.
I've got one very similar to it (figured maple cap, with pickguard in black) and folks don't like it. They like the same pickguard on a toner/semi-trans type of finish or solid finish but not over the figure. I disagree with your analysis. I put that pickguard on the other one based on essentially what you just said and it flopped.

I think the danger is, when it comes to T types, "bling" is not easy to do and some folks really dislike it.

Last edited:

henry_lee

Hey there -

Last year I developed a bit of a thinline Tele obsession too. I also set out to build a killer baritone as well and ended up with these two:

White: Fender AVRI 69 Telecaster, all stock with exception of the vintage Bigsby and Mastery bridge - Mahogany body.
Black: Warmoth Thinline Tele body + Fender Baritone Telecaster neck (made in Mexico) - Ash body

They're a fantastic compliment to my vintage Gibson ES and vintage Tennessean. The AVRI mahogany body is fairly mellow in tone,
but the Mastery bridge + Bigsby add some more interesting harmonic qualities. Whereas the Warmoth ash body is more "tighter" or focused,
especially with the traditional bridge and stings pulled thru the body.

I love the ash so much, I'd really like to get one of the older Custom Shop Nocaster Thinlines. I'll bet they're sweet.
I lucked out and got the black Warmoth body direct from their gallery of random bodies for pretty cheap.
They do nice work, highly recommend them for these kind of projects.

kingrazor

I've got one very similar to it (figured maple cap, with pickguard in black) and folks don't like it. They like the same pickguard on a toner/semi-trans type of finish or solid finish but not over the figure. I disagree with your analysis. I put that pickguard on the other one based on essentially what you just said and it flopped.

I think the danger is, when it comes to T types, "bling" is not easy to do and some folks really dislike it.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like it better with the pickguard. More visually interesting to me.

I couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks about how my guitar looks, I'm buying it for me, not for other people to gawk at.

Kostas

My Thinline has a Mahogany back & top with Goncalo Alves/Pau Ferro neck. P90 in the neck, tele (at first) and filtetron now in the bridge. It's my most versatile guitar and I love the classic look of the Thinline (f-hole & pickguard).
On the classic Tele the pickguard is too big for my taste, not bad but I'd rather have the smaller modern guard or nothing at all.

tommygunn1986

As for the pickguard, for me that's part of the look. I feel this way especially on les pauls.
I agree. I'm in the pickguard on camp. It just looks better to me. I think because it looks more asymmetrical and I always prefer things that are visually.

Trending Topics