Warmoth

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slhguitar, Feb 7, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Does anyone have experience with buying both the body and neck from them? The prices seem decent, but is it worth it?

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Be careful, you could end up like this! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

4. Srini

Srini Guest

Most definitely. My primary guitar is a Warmoth Strat I've had for 12 years - far better than any Fender I've ever had, and probably second only to the Suhrs and Andersons of this world.

Srini

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I think Warmoth makes surprisingly good parts. But as I'm sure you can guess..some are always better than others. And some necks go better with some bodies than others. So while you stand a decent chance of getting a nice body that works well with a nice neck...there's certainly no guarantee.

So, like just about everything else, there's a trade off: have it your way (in terms of design/features) or find the best sounding axe you can (that approximates your specs) by running the racks at some local stores.

I've opted to got the Warmoth route. On my first try, I wound up with a decent neck and body. Nothing wrong with them...but nothing terribly right either (other than they were good quality woods and nicely made...just didn't go together particularly well). The second time, I lucked out. I'm pretty crazy about my current Warmoth strat.

The other thing to note is: they most definitely DO NOT hold their value. If you bought your neck or body new and you go to sell it, you're going to take a big hit. After the first sale, they seem to retain their value. This is true of plenty of gear though...

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Here is my Warmoth Tele. I had a great time putting this guitar together. Much more rewarding in the end then those model cars I built when I was younger.

[​IMG]

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

All good points.

I would add that parts guitars re-sell better as parts than as assembled guitars. It's kinda sad, but you don't take nearly as bad a hit. In fact, if you do a decent finish yourself you can usually get back what you paid, or more (not counting your labor of course;) ).

8. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

Another Warmoth, my #1.
    [​IMG]

9. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

As long as we're showing off...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Clorenzo--nice stuff! Love the basses!

I'll play--I've done a blackguard tele that I don't have pics of that would floor you. The strat here has a nitro finish/brazilian board and the other has a bicycle paint job. Warmoth has always been great to me.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I've always had great luck with Warmoth, here's my number one warmoth.

Sam

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

13. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

That's send em to USACG fer sure . . . ;)

14. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

??????????

15. Meghan

Meghan Member

I have 2 Warmoths. The first, a Tele, I bought online. The second, a VIP, was purchased from Warmoth as parts and sent to the luthier for assembly. Specifically as to your body/neck question, the VIP neck did NOT fit correctly & had to be planed down & refretted in order to fit the body at the correct angle & bow. I sent the neck back for warranty, but Warmoth isisted that it was withing spec. Two VERY experienced luthiers stated that there was not enough adjustment in the truss rod to adjust it properly, so off with the frets & rebuild... I'm glad that I ordered the thick-as-a-baseball-bat neck, because it's only medium thick now.. :) However, aside from the extra expense of the neck rebuild, it turned out to be a very nice guitar & sounds & plays better than I expected...

www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=23909
    www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=22211

16. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

here are 2 warmoth strats that I put together, they paint jobs on the bodies were also done by them. Outstanding job by warmoth IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Those pictures of your guys guitars just make me want one more.....For the burst guitars, did you get them to do the paint jobs, and was it worth it? I'm really loving those natural woodgrain teles by the way.....

18. shadco

shadco Member

another warmoth and calaham parts

[​IMG]

19. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Any suggestions on a bridge and tuning system for a warmoth hot-rails loaded tele? Thats what im thinking of building....Hot rails in the bridge, regular tele neck pickup. it would be used mainly for heavy rock/metal, and only a bit for bluesy cleans (neck pickup). Any clue on costs, and would it be cheaper to assemble it myself, and buy everything other than the neck and body from the shop I work at?