Warning Counterfeit Microphones out there!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GenoBluzGtr, May 28, 2008.

1. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but thought I would throw this out as a kind-of PSA.

Recently purchased three Shure Beta 87A microphones for the band off an online message board (somewhere in Texas) and got a killer deal.

They showed up, brand new in the box, still sealed in the wrap, etc. Plugged them in, they seemed to work fine, but weren't quite the improvement over our Beta 58s like we expected.

First solid clue as to the fakeness was when we turned off Phantom Power and THEY STILL WORKED! This got us to wondering and we emailed SHURE, who told us that they are out there. We sent pix of the connector end, removed the wind-screens and took pix of the innards and sent to Shure. The confirmed our suspicions... counterfeit.

Luckily the guy we bought them from was unaware of this and he refunded our money and even paid shipping to return them. He claimed to have bought a few at an estate sale, and wasn't aware he was selling fake goods.

It's scary... the boxes are perfect, no indication at all. The Microphone bodies and windscreens look (to the uninitiated) to be a true Beta 87 mic, but apparently there are clues like hard to see markings near the pins, shapes of slots in the connector well, and wiring details inside the windscreen that SHURE saw right away in our pix. The box contained a very authentice looking instruction manual, a SHURE mic bag, velcro strip and a low-imp to high-imp converter cable... all with a very convincing SHURE logo.

Our Singer/Bass player was the first to be suspicious... the first time he held the mic, he said "this doesn't feel like I remember a good condensor mic feeling" I guess he meant weight/balance/etc... We were all a bit disappointed in the sound. It wasn't bad, worked great, no obvious problems, but it was essentially a decent, low-price mic sound. May have never been obvious at all if we didn't have some experienced ears and had not noticed that the mics were still working without phantom power.

Be careful. This was a lesson to always buy from someone you trust (or have good reason to trust, like most of us here) or buy new. We could have very easily been out several hundred dollars and stuck with crap mics.

2. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Thanks for the heads up! :AOK

How did they work without phantom power? Were there dynamic mic cartridges inside?

3. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Doubt you will find the 87a to be better than the 58a.It does sound different,.I have found the 58a's to be much more monitor friendly and way way way more durable than the 87.. Maybe this was a blessing.. Good luck in your quest for tone..Last time I checked we had 24 58a's and 10 87a's in the A-rig so I'm not guessing here.. Take care.

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

That's right. Standard, cheap dynamic mic 'innards'.

5. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I posted a warning about asian knock-off mikes awhile back - Be careful out there kids! ;)

6. delichef

delichef Member

I just bought an SM7B....after watching several pretty good deals go by on eBay and not feeling right about them, I opted to just pay full price at Guitar Center. With all the fake sm57 and 58 info out there, I figured it's worth the extra money to know I have the real deal. If I cost average the extra $100 or so I paid over the years I hope to get out of this mic, then it's a pretty small price to pay.

Oh yeah....and the Sm7 through an SCA n72 is just fantastic.

7. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I actually prefer the counterfeit stuff. I dig the thin, "low-fi" sound they provide, and the narrow frequency response gives me that "vintage" vibe[​IMG]

8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

9. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Caveat emptor -

I've seen some of the best fakes on ebay
    "Gibbon Les Pual Suprume"
    "Fendre Startocaster"

Shore SM85
    Electro Voize
    Paul Read Smyth
    AudioTeknica

that crapola is out there, its boxed well, looks the same,

if its too good to be true, then its fake :)