Warning for USPS shippers....

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
What's a few extra days?
:phones
I don't stress about it. As long as my item(s) are moving, I don't mind. It's when it's "Delivered" but it's not delivered...that's where there'd be a problem. But that hasn't happened...yet.

MomentFX

I just refunded a seller because he hasn't received the strat neck I shipped on 12/17 via USPS 2-day Priority (I refunded it at his request, and I don't blame him). He lives about 3 hours from me in upstate NY and the neck has been in Missouri since before Christmas. I filed a claim with the USPS, but my hopes are not high.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Aside from all the above noted reasons why USPS is late-deliveries,
there is the fact that when UPS or Fed-Ex get to their max capacity (w/o increasing delivery times)
they get to unceremoniously DUMP their excess packages on USPS without notice.
- not just 'the last mail', but from start to finish.
USPS cannot turn down these dumps, and they sure as hell can't plan for them.
... it's as if someone was trying to make USPS look bad...

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
I've had zero issues with pedals being shipped via Priority USPS. Other than maybe an extra day or so added to the ETA.

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
Please consider giving USPS a bit of a break...

They are being
a.) defunded
b.) worked extra long and hard due to the holidays
c.) worked extra hard due to COVID (hundreds of thousands more people buying things online instead of in person)
d.) having to work around distributing the vaccine

Even one of these things could cause delays. When you look at all of these aspects at once it's a wonder they're managing at all.
Agree with all except #1. They just got a $10 billion infusion that they don't have to pay back due to the COVID bill. Despite that bail out, they're generally supposed to be self-sufficient and not subject to Congressional budget funding, so the only way they can be "defunded" is by people sending less mail. Overall, that's happening in droves as people and businesses move online.

I mentioned that we mail 30 million First Class piece a month now - it was twice that just a few years ago. As they lose volume they need to raise rates to cover the loss and that, in turn, accelerates business's use of digital. They're a mess financially and it may never get better at this point.

EDIT: One thing I should clarify is that packages are a little different. First Class mail (bills, letters, etc) is a legal monopoly for the USPS. Packages are in their "competitive product" category and they have to compete with the likes of FedEx and UPS. But the overall financial and volume situation still applies.

Last edited:

npappas

Yet their amazon deliveries continue to be right on time or early...
Their "leader" is a multi-multi billionaire who has doubled his net worth in a global pandemic. Their workers rights is notably very, very poor—folks tend to take jobs there because they have to, they work incredulously hard and their performance and behavior is micro-monitored very very closely.

USPS is a publicly owned / funded service with great rates and very good employee benefits.

BearBryan

Their "leader" is a multi-multi billionaire who has doubled his net worth in a global pandemic. Their workers rights is notably very, very poor—folks tend to take jobs there because they have to, they work incredulously hard and their performance and behavior is micro-monitored very very closely.

USPS is a publicly owned / funded service with great rates and very good employee benefits.
His post went right over your head.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member

I’m talking about the subsidizing of usps. USPS isn’t losing or having amazon deliveries go weeks and months behind when they are supposed to arrive. Meanwhile a lady in my church who lives 4 blocks from me got a Christmas card from us in the mail almost a month after sending it. My point is that as with so much in life and government, money makes things happen.

tbradshaw

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not but after waiting a few weeks on a CD my son had ordered for his sister (tracking showed it having checked into a USPS facility on Dec. 12), I contacted the shipper then the USPS. USPS only replied to acknowledge they had received my email. The CD showed up today, just a few days after I started asking about it.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
real strange... I'm in DFW and I'm receiving my goods within normal SLA. I bought two rack preamps, a guitar, a bass, and two pedals last week... all arrived USPS priority within 3 days from allllll over. =|

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Waiting to see how Reverb works with sellers on this. Apparently they require a package to be declared 'lost' by USPS before they will enforce a refund but that doesn't stop the customer from demanding a refund over and over.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Weird. I've sent ~75 packages via USPS (all Media Mail) since Dec. 15th and other than a couple that slowed down around Christmas, I've had no unusual delays.
I've had pretty good luck, but have one package I shipped via USPS 1st Class leaving Sacramento since Dec 18th. I replaced the item I had sold, and the replacement took about a week to get to the buyer. At this point I don't expect my original package to show up.

Rick CD

Also recognize that, often, ”lost” deliveries are packages stolen by porch pirates. Especially around the holidays, our area has seen a surge in stolen packages, many caught on home security cameras. The there are people following the trucks, whether it be USPS, or UPS, and just cleaning house. It’s big business for thieves.

Moniker

Guitarchitect
Silver Supporting Member
I had a poster delivered last week (took 21 days Priority from CA to TX) where the tube was bent totally in half... like a 90 degree angle, tube ripped exposing the ripped poster inside, they still left it on my doorstep looking like they used it to fight off zombies then discarded it when it broke in half.

Seller only insured it for $50 on a $180 super rare.. essentially irreplaceable poster... wicked sweet.

jaymeister

My experience for one pedal sent from PA was from Dec 23rd to Jan 12 in Canada so not bad considering the holidays. Tracking was a little sketchy though. Only two business days in transit in Canada, the rest of the time was in the USA and customs.

W88

Well, it is real easy to blame USPS, and I am no fan, but I buy a Tom Bukovac Homeskoolin' Farmland Cafe T-shirt to support that cafe from Guitar House of Tulsa on Reverb before Christmas and when you ask as to why its shows a label printed but no movement, Guitar House of Tulsa sends you a link to a NY Times article about USPS being backed up. Customer service????? We ain't got no time for that here!

Maybe they ought to get up and take their shipments to the USPS to get them going.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I wasn't quite sure where to put this so feel free to relocate wherever it's appropriate.

But, I wanted to be sure I provided some feedback and a warning on USPS recently as they roll through extreme difficulties in delivering items with any sense of reliability. I've had about 6 various packages shipped by USPS since Dec 14th of which ALL of them have either been late, lost or still in transit (so undetermined).

1) We had a Sony PS5 that was shipped via USPS on Dec 14th which arrived yesterday. That's nearly a month. It was shipped from NY (seems to be a common theme here).
2) Purchased a A/B pedal from Reverb on the 15th of Dec, it also arrived yesterday. Shipped from MD.
3) Purchased an XVive wireless system from Reverb on the 19th. This appears to be lost and is being refunded. Shipped from NY.
4) Xmas gift sent out to friends in Connecticut on the 15th. This appears to be lost.
5) Lovepedal handwired Kanji ordered on Dec 28th. Still in transit, status unknown. Shipped from MA.
6) Boss Reverb bought from TGP, sent out on the 28th, arrived this afternoon. Shipped from AL.

Anyways, please be aware and careful when sending anything Priority Mail with USPS. The goal of this post isn't to rag on USPS but hopefully to help people avoid the frustration that I've encountered thus far. I really wasn't aware they were having so many problems when I ordered the above but rest assured, I'm paying the extra for UPS.

Happy hunting everyone!
Welcome to like 6 months ago. Where ya been?

timbuck2

I wasn't quite sure where to put this so feel free to relocate wherever it's appropriate.

But, I wanted to be sure I provided some feedback and a warning on USPS recently as they roll through extreme difficulties in delivering items with any sense of reliability. I've had about 6 various packages shipped by USPS since Dec 14th of which ALL of them have either been late, lost or still in transit (so undetermined).

1) We had a Sony PS5 that was shipped via USPS on Dec 14th which arrived yesterday. That's nearly a month. It was shipped from NY (seems to be a common theme here).
2) Purchased a A/B pedal from Reverb on the 15th of Dec, it also arrived yesterday. Shipped from MD.
3) Purchased an XVive wireless system from Reverb on the 19th. This appears to be lost and is being refunded. Shipped from NY.
4) Xmas gift sent out to friends in Connecticut on the 15th. This appears to be lost.
5) Lovepedal handwired Kanji ordered on Dec 28th. Still in transit, status unknown. Shipped from MA.
6) Boss Reverb bought from TGP, sent out on the 28th, arrived this afternoon. Shipped from AL.

Anyways, please be aware and careful when sending anything Priority Mail with USPS. The goal of this post isn't to rag on USPS but hopefully to help people avoid the frustration that I've encountered thus far. I really wasn't aware they were having so many problems when I ordered the above but rest assured, I'm paying the extra for UPS.

Happy hunting everyone!
have an item stuck in brooklyn sinch dec 22 last scan dec 16 going to colorado. Had to open a case 2 times and all they say id dont worry it will show up!.lol....how can they still be this behind...hire more people..

Trending Topics