warning: guitar center refusing to refund on return

grumol

yeah, this is weird -- i've bought guitars from them online, new and used, for years, some i returned, most i kept -- on the returns, no problem, immediate refund -- i bought 3 used within the last 6 months, had to return one when i noticed a cracked neck pocket, which was not disclosed when they listed it as "very good" -- no problem, was way within the return time, they even paid return shipping -- problem began with the email, letting me know that they had received the guitar, and i now had "credit on account", so i could shop for another guitar -- ???? -- i said thanks, but i've got too many guitars already, just give me my cash back -- 2 guys online, 3 on phone, some say they're taking care of it, one guy says i can't get the money back, i have to accept credit on account!! -- don't know about you, but no way i would've ever bought a guitar i haven't seen and played without a guaranteed return policy -- they received the return 8/20, and its become a daily labor to once again contact them and get the run around -- this is a drag, cause i've gotten some great deals from them, but no way i'll buy again after this -- any advice appreciated -- for reference, their return policy:

"If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it in its original condition within the return period and we’ll give you a full refund of the purchase price, excluding shipping and handling charges."

Landau

If you paid by credit card contact the card company to dispute the charge. Send them all the emails from GC and the refund policy. Should be credited back to your card in a day or two.

My wife works for a card company - her advice - keep the dispute report short and factual and supply all the evidence - you returned the merchandise and asked for a refund and they refused despite their written policy saying otherwise

dazco

We know GC has been in financial crisis for a long time now, and now the corona virus must be taking a major toll. I would therefore bet the reps got word from the top telling them to try all avenues before refuning and only to those who are standing firm for their rights according to GCs return policy. How far they will go b4 caving is anyones guess, but thats gotta be whats going on unless they changed their policy. Maybe search the CG site for any notices that note policy changes during covid19 too.

NSW

"If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it in its original condition within the return period and we’ll give you a full refund of the purchase price, excluding shipping and handling charges."
I am NOT implying that you are abusing their return policies, but there is also this clause on their website.

Abuse of Return Privileges

Our return policy is in place to ensure our customers don’t get stuck with the wrong piece of gear. We may, in our sole discretion, limit or suspend return privileges for customers who abuse or attempt to violate our return policy through practices including, but not limited to, excessive returns, attempts to return items that are no longer in brand-new condition, etc.

Yescaster

This story seems weird if GC would try to scam the guy by only giving him store credit back, did they give you a specific reason why or not. Feels like its just being left out here, I just highly doubt GC would only give store credit back without a reason, that's not their return policy (as Op had experienced before several times).. which maybe points to abuse of GC's return policy in which GC might be in the right.

Hungry_Hippo

Um, musical instrument sales are UP 80-100% depending on retailer.
That doesn't mean Guitar Center is doing well. The increase in sales has helped them but they are so far in debt that the increase in sales this year is just going to make them slightly less in debt.

My guess is that they have so little cash on hand that they're trying to get people to just accept store credit because they can't really afford to keep issuing full refunds. They don't want to announce they won't do refunds though since that will effect peoples willingness to do business with them. They're probably just going to make OP jump through several hoops before they'll actually issue one.

Otter351

Too many or high-dollar returns will cause them to flag your account, there's a point where you're no longer a profitable customer. I know, I know...you're going to say, "I only returned a couple items!!". They're probably using some fancy 3rd party algorithm and it would have to take someone high up the chain to override it. Pretty much every company does this, including Amazon and they're willing to take HUGE losses...but, only if they think you're profitable in the long run. But, I have no doubt that you will eventually get the refund if you to pursue it further

Also keep in mind that a finish crack and cracked neck pocket are two very different things. A finish crack in that location is not uncommon and may still qualify as "very good". Guitar Center's grading is also up for interpretation.

babbyb

Supporting Member
My guess is that they have so little cash on hand that they're trying to get people to just accept store credit because they can't really afford to keep issuing full refunds.
They just did an advertised event where they handed out cash across the country. I got a return no questions asked on a $900 guitar two weeks ago that took less than 90 seconds (and I return roughly 1/3rd of stuff I buy there, though it's almost exclusively used gear). I think there's more to this story.

grumol

My guess is that they have so little cash on hand that they're trying to get people to just accept store credit because they can't really afford to keep issuing full refunds. They don't want to announce they won't do refunds though since that will effect peoples willingness to do business with them. They're probably just going to make OP jump through several hoops before they'll actually issue one.
[/QUOTE]

well, thats my guess also

JPIndustrie

Supporting Member
same thing at sam ash

I had a guy almost cry, figured it was worth burning the $100 to not see a grown man cry

strange days indeed

most peculiar, mama

indexless

Supporting Member
I bought a used pedal from them, took it home, it wasn't what I wanted, the returned it for cash, I was expecting a credit on account....ymmv

grumol

My guess is that we're missing a part of the story.
man, i wish i could tell you that there is something missing, cause then it would make business sense -- here's the text of the email from gc:

Hi Robert,

Your order GCW282xxxxxxx wiht the item Used Schecter Guitar Research Diamond Series 006 Red Solid Body Electric Guitar (11617xxx) you returned with RA# GC17089xxx had been received. You refund with the amount of $151.20 went as a Credit on Account (COA). You may use the amount for purchase on our website.

Have a nice day

ok, got it? -- if there is a missing part, its on their end, and so i have no way of knowing what that is -- again, it was an authorized return, and they paid return shipping for, which they only do if the item is defective

i did this post to alert you all to the possibility that you may have a problem with returns to gc, although i expect you would not have this problem if you return in person -- frankly, its easier for them to do this when its not face-to-face