Warren Haynes DVD...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by BadAssBill, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I picked up Warren's DVD about a month ago and it has completely opened up my style of playing. As I got deeper into the DVD he leaves the blues box and really plays some alternative ideas.
    I'f you're looking for something to get you out of a rut and learn some tasty licks....this has really helped me.

Anyone else really enjoyed this?

[​IMG]

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

Out of the Hot Licks videos I have this one seems to be one of the better organized efforts. Warren seems to be one of those naturally talented guys who explains things easily.

I haven't used it much as I'm more into country and jazz these days but plan to get more extensively into the slide techniques he talks about. Seems like a great place for a beginning slide player to start.

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

5. drolling

drolling Member

Dayumm!! I stumbled on these reissues in my local video store, of all places - I've been going back every couple days to get another one..

Never got Warren's first time around (on tape), but seeing as you're recommending it, I'll pick up a copy tomorrow.

Thanks!!

6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

let me know what you think of it...

7. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

Is the whole DVD slide guitar? Or does he talk part of the time about blues playing and part of the time about slide playing?

8. drolling

drolling Member

I went back for this one & just watched the first 20 minutes.. so far no slide playing at all - It's strongly reminding me of Ronnie Earl's vid- in that he's taking very simple pentatonic lines, blues licks, and showing how he squeezes the most emotion from them; Pick attack, vibrato, bending, etc.

It's also reminiscent of watching Eric Johnson nailing the "feel" of influential players like Clapton & Hendrix on his first Hot Licks vid (Total Electric Guitar).

Kinda cool, but I'm actually looking forward to the slide part of the lesson, as I think he plays in standard tuning. I need all the help I can get w/that, as I'm always tuned to a chord when I slide..

9. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

Cool... I may have to see if I can find this one then. Thanks!

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

We just wear those out in our family.

11. lpengineer

lpengineer Member

Warren seems to have a knack for playing some excellent solos. Just listening and watching how he approaches blues (in general) and soloing was very interesting. That reminds me to pull out the DVD and watch it again!