Warren Haynes' tone at bedroom(ish) volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by haslar, Nov 2, 2005.

1. haslar

haslar Member

I love the tone Warren Haynes gets when he plays his Les Paul plugged in his SLO.

I'm wondering: how could I get a similar tone to that, but at lower volume (home use)?I am perfectly aware that the great SLO tone comes from sheer volume, but I'm pretty convinced it is possible to come rather close to that tone at low volume, with the right equipement

I currently own a '75 Marshall 4x12" (darkback G12Ms) and a Rivera M60.
    Pedals are:
    - Xotic RC Booster
    - FDII

I'm thinking about getting a Soldano Avenger or Hot Rod 50, but don't know whether they'd work well at low volumes.

I also tried a Soldano Supercharger GTO, and it worked fine - although it seems somehow amp-dependant.

A JTM45 RI or a Germino Club 40 head, maybe, set on clean, with a GTO pedal?

Any suggestion is welcome.

:dude

Oh & I forgot: one mandatory thing is the ability to clean up really well when I back off the volume on the guitar.
    I've read that the Avenger was not really good at that, for instance.

2. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

While obviously not a SLO, the Atomic or Astro 16 both have all the soldano vibe you would expect. At 20 watts you can get very good tones at house approved (not baby sleeping next room over) volumes. Does it nail WH? No. Does it do a pretty good imitation? I think so. It is at least worth demoing one if you can find one. THey are pretty in-expensive used too.

cmn

3. Randy

Randy Member

I've found the master volume on the SLO to be excellent. Like most amps it gets better with volume, but even at conversation levels the SLO sounds great. I personally think the whole 'SLO tone comes from sheer volume' legends to be myth. Get one with the depth mod and you'll be fine at bedroom volumes.

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Hayne's uses a Boss Metal Zone to EQ his tone... That's a big part of his sound. I think that could be a really inexpensive, and very impactful way to get you there, especially at bedroom volumes... It's actually THE gear that he uses, and it's a pretty versatile pedal that goes far beyond metal. Really quite good for bedroom tones. If you're hung up on it being a "metal" pedal, then a good alternative might be the Boss GE-7 graphic EQ, and specifically the "Sniper modded" (www.tone-jam.com) GE-7 which is a ton quieter than a stock one. Using a pedal to EQ your tone really helps you to compensate for the way that speakers behave differently at low volumes when you're not pushing them, and also for the way your ears hear things differently at different volumes (Fletcher-Munson).

The right pickups also REALLY help to get you there. I don't know what Haynes actually uses, but the WCR (Jim Wagner) "Goodwoods" set do the Haynes tones PERFECTLY... I was never closer to Haynes tone than when I dropped those pickups in my PRS. That wasn't really the tone I was going for, but it definitely lives in those pickups if you want it.

I think unless you're using an actual SLO and cranking it, there are quite a few different directions you can go with chosing an amp that will probably work... A JTM 45 or Germino 40 are NOT the amps I'd chose for bedroomish volumes... In fact, even a cranked Champ is way above what I'd consider bedroomish volumes. Unless you're starting to get the amp where the tubes are cooking a bit, it's not going to be as big of a part of the equation as the pedals/axe/pickups you use... There's always attenuators, but I never liked the way they sound when you're attenuating all the way down to bedroomish volumes, and your needlessly roasting your tubes then. I think the pedals are a much better option than attenuators, unless you're just talking about taking off a few db's.

5. Azon

Azon Member

You've got to be kidding?? A Boss Metal Zone? Warren does NOT use one of those. The only Boss pedal he uses is an Octave, and he's using that less and less these days.

Warren's tone is not just a SLO. Depending on what band he's with, he will use a SLO, a Plexi Marshall, and a Diaz CD-100. He often uses two amps, but never at the same time. He will switch between them. Honestly though, if there is one guy I know who's tone is in his hands, it's Warren. He's got one hell of a handshake!

Az

6. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Actually he has used a metal zone. I don't know that he still does or how much it is part of his rig, but he has used one at times.

7. Azon

Azon Member

Well from what I know of Warren, and from what Farmer (his tech) tells me, is that there is no Metal Zone in his rig. It would have had to of been at least 10 years ago that he used that if at all.

Az

8. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Well, that could be. Its been about that long since I read that.

9. haslar

haslar Member

Thanks everybody for the replies.

anyone tried to get the WH sound with a GTO pedal ?

10. Azon

Azon Member

Basically any thick overdrive, and a Les Paul will get you close. No Tube Screamers please.

Az

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Azon,

Actually, you're wrong. Warren may not currently use a Metal Zone, but he certainly has used one in the past.

Like I said, he used it as an EQ/tone shaper, NOT as a gain pedal. It actually works quite well in this application, ESPECIALLY at bedroom volumes.

If you haven't tried it yourself, you really should before you knock it.

Thanks.

12. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

This I agree with you on... And the right pickups (such as the Goodwoods) play a large role in the tone... The Goodwoods have a very THICK tone.

I'd say a Les Paul with good pickups, a thick overdrive and an EQ pedal would be your best bet at bedroom volumes... Something outside of the standard Tubescreamer is necessary as those would be a little too nasal and there's not nearly enough "wool" on the notes, but there's really some pretty good midrange going on in Warren's tones both past and present, so you don't want a flat mid pedal either.

Actually, the MI Audio Blue Boy was a great pedal for dialing in a great wooly Warren Haynes tone.

13. Azon

Azon Member

Yes I've tried it, so I can knock it. Like I said before, it would have had to of been at least ten years ago.

Az

14. Azon

Azon Member

Well the right pick-ups would be new Gibsons. How do I know that? I was there with my friend (a Gibson rep) when he hand delievered the pickups to Warren. They were Burstbuckers.

Yes Warren has some good midrange, but it's not honky.

Az

15. haslar

haslar Member

I've got WCR Darkburst pups, I don't know about Goodwoods but these sound pretty good to me !
    :dude

I think I should also try plugging a Les Paul in a Zendrive, or a MI Audio Blue Boy or MI Tube Zone, and see what it's like.

16. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Warren may not use the Metal Zone now, but he WAS making music 10 years ago, or more, that many people still listen to today, and a Metal Zone WAS a part of that past. Further, with the Burstbuckers, that may be what he's using now in an axe or two, but that has nothing to do with the music he's made in the past, or even what he's necessarily using in his main axes. Just because he received a set of pickups, does not mean that's what he's using 24x7.

I also never said the midrange in Warren's tone was honky. Quite the opposite. I said it was wooly. These are all nondescript BS terms however, and are purely subjective unless we're in the same room talking relative tones that we're listening to.

So, as with all artists, there are different eras during which different gear was used. I'd say through all of it, he still sounds like Warren, and like most great guitarists, that would hold true no matter WHAT gear he's using. So we agree, a lot of it's in the hands. BUT, if somebody's trying to cop a tone, it helps to have a lot of different information to figure out what will get that particular player into the right 'zone,' as different gear works differently for different players.

Knock the chip off your should man. I'm just stating the facts, alond with some of my opinions and what's worked for me.

17. Azon

Azon Member

Dude, chill out. I'm not trying to start something here. I'm just trying to give more facts. I've met Mr Haynes many times, and know his tech fairly well. Just want to share the info that I know of.

Yes I am well aware of Warren's music from 10 years ago. Most people aren't really into that era though. They are interested in the Mule tones, and the more recent ABB tones. Warren's tone has changed a bit in the last 8 years or so.

I never said the you made any claim about the midrange being honky. It was just a statement I made on my own.

We actually delievered more than one set of pickups to Warren. He is using only Gibson pickups at this time - various models. (according to Farmer). Warren has about 10 guitars that are the "main" axes. A few LP's, a couple Firebirds, an SG, and a 335 are the staples. He's got a decent collection, but doesn't take a stupid amount of guitars on the road.

Maybe the orignal poster should let us know what time period of Warren tones he's looking for?

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Az

18. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Azon,

OK, my sincere apologies then man. I really thought you were trying to be argumentative. I guess I misconstrued the tone of your words, which is an easy thing to do over the internet. Actually, I was keeping it cool myself, but re-reading some of what I wrote came across the the wrong way.

I agree, that the era of Hayne's is relevant. When I'm talking Hayne's tones, my absolute favorite tones of his are off of the Allman Brothers recordings from a few years back -- Seven Turns, Back Where it All Begins, An Evening with..., the various other live recordings and bootlegs of that time period, etc.

Not to be argumentative, but I honestly do believe he was using a metal zone through much of that period as a tone shaper.

The bedroom volumes thing also changes a TON about the amplification/pedal/od/eq aspects of the equation... I think the choice of gear is pretty player specific, but things really change drastically as far as what will work well to cop tones at those volumes.

Azon - sounds like you've got some great experiences to draw upon, and like you're an excellent source of info on Mr. Haynes... I can certainly respect all of that. Again, my apologies.

19. Azon

Azon Member

No sweat man. Just didn't want to have things get out of hand!!! Sometimes it's hard to judge people from the words on the net.

Az

20. bob-i

bob-i Member

Back on topic....

Give this a listen... this is my best attempt at what you're asking for. It's an Hi-Octane from ax84.com with an added gain stage biased like an SLO. As far as bedroom volume? I'm not sure how quiet you want to play in your bedroom but this amp is pretty damn loud for 6 watts but it's ok with the master set low.

[​IMG]

Hi-Octane with SLO mod

If this is what you're looking for we could work out something, either you could buy this one or I could take an old amp and convert if for you. This one start life 15 years ago as a Peavey.

Bob