Warren's lead tones with Jimi's clean tones in one amp?

jpage

Of course--pretty much any 4 hole Marshall would do the trick--esp if you are talking about Warren's ABB tones. If you mean his SLO tone, put good OD and rotosphere in front--close enough for gov't work (see what I did there ;) ).

cnardone

Which Warren lead tone? ABB from the 90's? That happens to be my favorite. an evening with the Allmans is just killer(SLO). Or? newer stuff (Marshall / PRS). I agree on the 4 hole marshall, but man, Warren plays on the neck bucker a lot. not sure how you cop that tone on a Strat trying to get Jimi clean.

cmn

Heady Jam Fan

Just depends how close you want to get IMO - there was a thread about getting Warren's SLO tones on a Mark series Mesa.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Jimi's clean tone = Strat. Warren's lead tone = Les Paul neck pickup.

They both us Marshall amps. I think the difference comes more from their choice of guitars than the amp.

Heady Jam Fan

I'd like to check out that thread but can't find it?
Hmm, it was several weeks ago, not even sure why I remember it (I didn't post), but I'll do a quick search and see if I can find it. Now I'm wondering if it was about Warren at all, or just coping a SLO lead with a Mesa Mark series amp... Either way, it came out as expected: people who were big SLO fans said no, you can't get the same tones, other people said you can get close enough and the SLO is based off the Mesa MK series.

I don't know much about Warren or Jimi's gear - I like them both a lot, but I'm not a Marshall fan and never played a SLO, but I figured I'd mention the Mesa thing in case OP is looking for SLO tones as an MKIII might be the most cost effective way to get kinda close (liberally speaking).

ledzep618

A Klone set up with minimal gain in front of a 50+ watt Marshall style amp goes a long way towards getting warrens tones. A les Paul neck pup is also key. I've had success with this using a variety if amps from a tweaker 40 to my Royal Atlantic.

jpage

Hmm, it was several weeks ago, not even sure why I remember it (I didn't post), but I'll do a quick search and see if I can find it. Now I'm wondering if it was about Warren at all, or just coping a SLO lead with a Mesa Mark series amp... Either way, it came out as expected: people who were big SLO fans said no, you can't get the same tones, other people said you can get close enough and the SLO is based off the Mesa MK series.

I don't know much about Warren or Jimi's gear - I like them both a lot, but I'm not a Marshall fan and never played a SLO, but I figured I'd mention the Mesa thing in case OP is looking for SLO tones as an MKIII might be the most cost effective way to get kinda close (liberally speaking).
I appreciate you searching for me! I love Warren but like most, he sounds like himself through whatever he plays. To my ears he sets up his SLOs to sound like a goosed Marshall so any good goosed Marshall can do the Warren thing. Esp with an H&K Roto.

Heady Jam Fan

I appreciate you searching for me! I love Warren but like most, he sounds like himself through whatever he plays. To my ears he sets up his SLOs to sound like a goosed Marshall so any good goosed Marshall can do the Warren thing. Esp with an H&K Roto.
Yeah - I haven't found the thread thus far, so I'm assuming it was one of the many "can a Mesa cop a SLO" threads.

I think your probably right though, those guys have distinct approach to the guitar and know how to dial in an amp for their sound.

HaloMaster

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, check this out, I wonder if you used a Redplate Black Magic. The Black Magic, is a Blackface clean channel, and a SLO meets D-style dirty channel. You can run 2 gain settings and switch between the 2. You get a 6 position mid control on the clean channel which should let you dial in the Jimi sound. Now you just got to figure out the guitar and pickup issue. How about a PRS513, or a guitar with a combination of HBs/single coils!!!