Warwick Basses - Honest Opinion

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by srd, Dec 26, 2009.

1. srd

srd Member

Hi everyone!

After some year trying to play the guitar I am thinking of getting my first electric bass. I'm also a little short on money...so I thought about a used one. I need help cause I'm afraid I migth make a bad choice...
    What I need is bass to start practicing (bedroom playing).

There are some offers... but there is a cash limit so the offer I like the most is:

WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE - 4 Strings.
    Use: 2 years, well conserved (He said so...)
    Price: 100 € (euros)
    Selling reason: Needs a 5 string bass

Some pics:

http://img403.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=warwick002.jpg

Is this a good brand? Does it looks like a good deal? For this price will I get anything better?

Also I went to my regular music store, and they dind't have many basses but the one they sell the most as "for starters - initiation" was a Yamaha 200€ (so I believe that for less...i would only get garbage).

Ok give me your honest opinions please :)

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Lots of people use Warwicks. So, yes it's a decent, reputable brand.

I don't like the feel of the necks of Warwicks, so I've never been particularly interested in Warwicks.

If you like the look and feel of the Warwick- I guess that's a pretty decent deal...

3. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

I am mostly a guitarist, but I have a Warwick bass that I love. As mentioned, they tend to have quite chunky necks, so try it out for yourself.

Rockbass is Warwick's import line, the regular (German) Warwicks would be about 10X that price. Even so, that is a great price for a Rockbass - I would buy it even if you hate it, you can always resell it at a profit.

4. srd

srd Member

I'm just suspicious about the price.... Could this be some cheaper Rockbass model? like initiation model? :S Like the Fender Squire Strat I once bougth, it was cheap for a fender strat...

Please elucidate me :)

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I think the regular Corvette is a step above the rockbass. I'm just a guitar player but I used to build guitars and basses, I helped my bass player pick out a bass. He ended up buying a Corvette. The Rockbass was less money and didn't seem as well made as the regular Corvette.

The regular Corvette has better hardware, active pickups and is made of Bubinga.(very heavy!) Not sure what the Rockbass is made of or what pickups are in it.

I'm not sold on the active pickups but I do believe the Corvette is a better bass than the Corvette Rockbass.

If your a begginer bass player and short on cash, go play it...if it feels right and sounds good, buy it! You don't need a top of the line bass to learn on.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I have a Warwick as my all-purpose bass and it does a great job. Yes, Rockbass is their cheaper imported line but for that price I doubt you could do much better. Go for it.

7. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

The Corvette is miles better than the RockBass (which ain't bad either).
    The Corvette $$ is a step up from the standard Corvette. Better electronics and pickups . . . .sounds huge.