Was 2001 a good year for SG's? Bad? Unmemorable?

rubbersoul

Silver Supporting Member
There's an SG Standard for sale in my local area for a decent price and I'm thinking about getting it. I had an SG once from the mid '90's and I remember it being pretty enjoyable.

How about 2001 or that general time frame...decent for SG's?

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe its all dumb luck but most of the best Gibsons I've owned and/or played (outside of the "Golden Age") were from '96-'03.

Last edited:
I have a Special from 2001 and it's a great guitar. If you have access to it, you might as well play and inspect it for yourself to determine whether or not it's a dud.

rubbersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the input guys. It's probably worth the 1 hour drive to check it out. I've always REALLY missed my SG.

sixty2strat

Each guitar has to be judged on it's own merits.

I hate Nashville bridges but one of the best Firebirds I've played among all eras years since they were first made was a 76

jlb32

Don't think there are any "best" years IMO. It all depends on the individual guitar. Some are great, some good, some ok and some total dogs every year.

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
Some will be good, some not so good. Some will be better than others. While others may suck or be great, or just OK. In short, they will vary as they always have. Best to play it before buying if possible.

27sauce

Don't think there are any "best" years IMO. It all depends on the individual guitar. Some are great, some good, some ok and some total dogs every year.
This is true, but, there are years that featured specs that may be more desirable to some.

I have a 2003 SG Standard, and it's one of the best SGs I've ever owned. I've personally had really good luck with Gibson guitars from the early 2000s. All of the SG Standards I've ever played from this time period have had a fairly full neck carve, plenty wide and not too thin. Also, the one I currently have is a very well balanced guitar, with no tendency for neck dive. And I like the finish from this era, especially in Heritage Cherry. It's not too red, but rather a reddish brown, which looks very nice. The newer ones are too red for me, and don't show much of the grain.

Trending Topics