• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Was called a "tire kicker" today by a terse, unfriendly TGP seller.....

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
So I bought this on Reverb instead. I had already transferred the money to checking so I went shopping....There's always another seller....there's always another guitar.

People do themselves no favors when their whole attitude is "Stop bothering me and send me your money." ;)

EDIT: And oh my these aged Heritage H150s just look wonderful. Listened to a bunch of clips and think that I'll enjoy this guitar a great deal.

Last edited:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
As long as you didn’t ask him to bust out the calipers, I think it’s fine to ask hey is it like a baseball bat ‘58 or a slim ‘60 or a just right ‘59? Something like that isn’t tire kicking.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
As long as you didn’t ask him to bust out the calipers, I think it’s fine to ask hey is it like a baseball bat ‘58 or a slim ‘60 or a just right ‘59? Something like that isn’t tire kicking.
I was really excited about the guitar. I asked for Paypal info and that's what I got...an address. Pretty cold vibe. Started to feel like there was more to know so I asked and .... there was more to know. ;)

My fault for getting pumped without all the information but had I asked and then passed I'd have been a tire kicker regardless.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
Well, if that’s the case.....that sounds reasonable to me. What were his 4 words?
I think it was "In between the two."

It's just interesting to me how it's just too much trouble for some people to interact with potential buyers and that suddenly those buyers are 'not serious' even if they're totally serious.

The whole vibe of a deal is important. Help the buyer spend their money....it's not too hard.

And yes, there are tire kickers but they rarely have dozens of deals on a site.

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know, there is always another buyer. I tell “buyers” to get lost all the time when I’m selling something.

Me too.

I don't have time to be a psychologist for peoples little quirks. Either we're doing a deal or we aren't. Sh!t or get off the pot.
And.... people always seem to think that if they eventually do spend money somewhere that it is some kind of revenge for a failed deal. It isn't. Original
seller doesn't care even a tiny little bit what you do afterwards.

I've got 4 guitars sitting next to me at the moment, and another 8 within 20 feet of me. If somebody asked me to describe each of their neck shapes from memory, I'd probably get it wrong. One of them is
a Les Paul Studio. What kind of neck does it have? A 98 Les Paul Studio neck. Do you like Les Paul Studio's and want to buy one? Great. No? Ok, somebody who doesn't ask so many questions does. :)

However- I do completely agree with the OP. A lot of time asking a question tells you more about the seller and the big picture, and the actual answer doesn't matter that much. How it gets said and responded to does. Like you,
I don't like to buy (or sell) from jerks or flakey people.

So it sounds like this was a transaction that ended exactly as it should have.

Great looking guitar ! Congratulations on your NGD.

Last edited:

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
Me too.

I don't have time to be a psychologist for peoples little quirks. Either we're doing a deal or we aren't. Sh!t or get off the pot.

What led up to this seller telling you to take a walk? What were the circumstances that happened right before that?
Seller didn't tell me to take a walk.....I got an off putting vibe when I was ready to go and went back and looked at what I 'knew' about the instrument. Turns out it wasn't that much...so I asked if there was anything else to know (condition) and it turned out that only the most flattering images were shared. I took a step back and was suddenly guilty of wasting his time.

But it's good, I found a guitar that I dig and opted for less than 24 hours later.

I think I'm doing this tire kicking thing wrong....I'm not supposed to buy, right?

Last edited:

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
You got all of that out of four words??? I think OP may be my wife. Took a short, simple text and self-injected turbulent words into it and turned it into a terse emotional diatribe. Sweetie, did you buy me a guitar??
No, I didn't get that out of four words.....though I did think it was an odd/short response from someone interested in selling an instrument.

That's the thing, we do have complaints here all the time about deadbeat buyers that have no interest in buying. While we have that, we also have sellers that are complaining about buyers when they're the ones I see killing their potential sales.

Trending Topics