Was Cinderella's tone just a Marshall 2203 with a Boss OD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BrentSP, May 2, 2019.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

MTV did.

LeftyGtrPlr and Ranster44 like this.
  2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

too much negativity answer the ops question douche bags

3. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I like them.

morgan918, 59Vampire and goddot like this.
  4. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

another vote pro Cinderella. :aok
    not too innovative, but hey - fine classic songwriting, delivered with confidence and talent ...:dude
    particularly Long Cold Winter and Heartbreak Station, I also like Tom's solo album quite a bit.
    but they sure required to listen with your ears, not the eyes ! :omg

ymmv,
    Rhino

David Garner, morgan918 and aynirar27 like this.
  5. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

Suicidal Tendencies were big with the skaters in NJ/PA at that time as well. Speaking of odd pairings I think saw Poison and Exodus on the same bill...

Eagerly awaiting for the thread on the Bullet Boys, Saigon Kick, Dangerous Toys...

goddot likes this.
  6. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Wait you got a Wizard? Do tell......

Echoplexi and LPMojoGL like this.
  7. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

First record I'm sure was produced by Andy Johns.

LP's into cranked Marshalls, the clean stuff sounds like the typical SPX90 Symphonic and chorus, and maybe a hint of Eventide Micro Pitch stuff on some of the leads, that was the staple of the sound at the time. Bit of Superstrat whammy stuff from LeBar with a lot more compression, but most of the stuff sounds like Tom. That 70's influenced blues-rock thing.

For what it's worth, I'm a Sabbath fan as well as a Cinderella fan.

Guess it's just so hard to get your head around the images on first album cover, the exploding snare drums (who wasn't doing that at the time?) and the absolutely ridiculous video for "Nobody's Fool".

As was mention previously, really a 70's blues band told by the record company to get out the hair spray, as there might have been some sort of connection to Bon Jovi at the time (look what they were doing in 86-87).

Look didn't match the sound imo. Better band than than given credit for. But to each their own.

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

IMO, yes. Lots of great classic rock influenced songs. I'm a fan. Night Songs through Heartbreak Station are great albums.

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I always assumed Tom was a 4-hole guy (I would assume in the studio for sure but, maybe not). That said, I could easily see both those guys getting their tones on JMP/800 2203/2204s.

ProfRhino likes this.
  10. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I always liked Cinderella. Not a huge fan but I can remember blasting Night Songs pretty consistently during summer break from school in 87!

After liking Night Songs so much I have to say I was initially disappointed with Long Cold Winter at the time but grew to appreciate it later on.

I don't have a lot of concrete information but rather based on a failing memory lol! There were very very few interviews in guitar mags with Tom and Jeff back then.

Night Songs was fairly consistently the same tone from song to song and was possibly more rack type studio gear and maybe some stuff borrowed from Bon Jovi. At that point Jeff only owned that one red Kramer guitar that his mother bought him when he was a kid. I think he recorded all the songs from that album with that same guitar. I don't think it was a simple JCM 800 and Boss overdrives set up they recorded with. With the success from that album Tom bought up several vintage guitars and amps. Most of his conversations back then were based just around his guitars though so not much info on amps.

Long Cold Winter saw them afford to experiment with some different amps and guitars. And you can tell there are some vintage tones on that album but exactly what I don't know.

They fell off my radar by the time "Heartbreak Station came out but it featured more vintage gear. Probably of the Fender and Marshall varieties.

Live however was always pretty much Marshalls and Boss pedals from everything I heard.

11. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

Cool rhythm riffs!
    There's an Alice Cooper sound to the vocals.

aynirar27 likes this.
  12. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

I love Cinderella, unfairly lumped in with glam because of those outfits on the first record, but a real solid hard rock/blues band.

But, because no Cinderella thread would be complete without this little known gem...I present you with Pat's Chili Dogs. Also featuring Michael Kelly Smith and Tony Destra, who were fired by the label prior to the first record....but went on to form Britney Fox and hire a guy who sounded just like Tom to be their singer.

And here is some footage of the early lineup. LaBar was definitely a better fit on guitar. Give a listen to Michael Kelly's solo :(

zion, kookaburra, Kevy_Metal and 5 others like this.
  13. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

For example? The only band that's caught my attention in a long time is Greta Van Fleet.

14. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Always dug this one.

goddot likes this.
  15. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Shake Me!!!

Sidmore likes this.
  16. forceiselectric

forceiselectric Member

While I grew up during the hair metal era and listened to those bands, somehow I never heard Cinderella.

So a few years ago, I bought and listened to their entire catalogue. Up to this point, my only impression of them was their flamboyant photos in Circus and Kerrang that I'd seen as a kid.

I was surprised to discover that Cinderella was essentially a roots rock band.

A lot of the stuff, especially the Heartbreak Station record, could have been Black Crowes material. Huge Stones influence.

I found it interesting that the first song on their first record was essentially doom metal, along the lines of Dio-era Sabbath. What an odd way to introduce yourself to the world when the rest of your catalogue doesn't sound like that.

I came to the conclusion that Cinderella was by far the most musically adept of the hair metal bands. But I wouldn't even call them hair metal. Their best stuff would go toe-to-toe with the most classic Black Crowes songs.

Back to the topic at hand, while their catalogue certainly had JCM tones, the "audio picture" that Cinderella brings to mind for me is more like "Tele into cranked combo".

17. johnnyjj

johnnyjj Member

You're the annoying uncle who soberly tells all his nieces and nephews that Santa Claus is not real and to stop being so immature, aren't you?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    morgan918 and Bullhonky Deluxe like this.
  18. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

That may be the problem and it seems to be a common issue with some people where they feel like "there's no good music out there anymore", but that's never happened to me probably because I never stopped listening to newer bands.

Not everything is going to be to one's tastes, but there's a wealth of incredible new music out there. There's no point in me listing off examples because all anyone has to do is a little research to find what they might like and see what comes up.

Whatnobeer and morgan918 like this.
  19. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

This literally made my day

McShred likes this.
  20. scott58

scott58 Member

Cinderella is in my car CD right now. Comes on right before Britney Fox.

Edit: my Laney lionheart L5 does a fair Cinderella tone.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    aynirar27 likes this.