Was Clapton intimidated by Hendrix back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Miroslav L, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It is kind of interesting how hindsight clouds the view.
    It is probably quite difficult, considering the vast amount of learning tools guitarists have now, how amazing those guys all were at a time when learning how they played was a matter of sitting down and learning it right from the record ( which was not easy, considering little electronic tuners didn't exist and all but the most expensive turntables didn't have strobes on them and all seemed to run at slightly different speed).
    Now when just about anyone can learn Clapton , Hendrix, EVH, or just about anyone else who came out with something new and different just by surfing the net for teaching aids or buying books of tabliture with accompanying DVDs or CDs, it is hard to imagine that at one time these guys were considered untouchable. Just about anyone with a little talent and enough ambition and patience to sit down and use the tools available can learn it.
    And of course now we not only have all the learning aids, we also have all the guitarists over the years who were influenced by them to learn from.
    And then there is the learning of how they got those sounds.
    In the eighties all the rack mount stuff started appearing that had just about any combination of amps, cabs, and effects you could imagine. Now there are even pocket devices that have programs in them with names like "purple haze" to emulate the sounds those guys got.
    Once you get their tone and overall sound down learning the music is a whole lot easier.

All of which takes the mystique away that all those guys in the 60s and early 70s had.
    But back then, it was all so new, mysterious, and other worldy.

bluesjunior likes this.
  2. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

Laughable.

For those unfamiliar with the overplay of Marino, fast forward to the 23:00 mark to experience his butchering of Red House. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

3. RLD

RLD Member

But you're the one who keeps making the comparisons with your inane "X could play circles around Hendrix".

Cheecharron and NamaEnsou like this.
  4. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

While I don't necessarily agree with all your points (though I see where you're coming from), it really made me think of how many of those old original Chicago blues guys would be revered as Rock Gods if they had simply played with as much heavy distortion, fuzz and cranked amps as Clapton, Page, and the other classic rock icons revered today. If Buddy Guy had played through a cranked Marshall with a FuzzFace or Tonebender with a bunch of effects pedals, the rock guitar god pantheon would look a whole lot different today.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I was using that an example of how an opinion is an opinion. I don't "keep" making comparisons, so far I have only responded to the comparisons.
    Quite obviously the comparison of Frank Marino, who is an amazing guitarist, is pointless because Mr Marino had the benefit of better technology and of course of having holed up for a long time to develop his style after guys like Clapton, Alvin Lee, and Mr Hendrix had blazed a trail.
    And, back to the OPs original thread starter, Mr Clapton would have had no reason to be intimidated by Hendrix. He had already lived the "Clapton is God" nonsense and rejected it.

That is an opinion about the way he plays it, not on how well he plays.
    If you like Hendrix to the point that no body else matters, then obviously you will find fault with all the guitarists who have existed who are far more technically skilled than Hendrix was.
    And of course, it is easy to take part of what anyone has done or one single song and try to make that the stereotype for that musician, which again, is absurd and shallow.
    Can you play like Frank Marino?

6. RLD

RLD Member

You've done it repeatedly, so yeah you do.
    If it's absurd to make comparisons then don't do it.

As far as the OP, it's well documented that everyone in Britains top echelon of guitar players was intimidated when Hendrix burst on the scene.
    There are numerous published accounts including Claptons...there is nothing shameful about it, they recognized he was at level they had not experienced.

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Well documented, that is pretty funny. Anything anyone writes can be colled documentation, that doesn't make it fact.
    You are wrong, and I will do as I wish. The only "comparisons" I have made are in rebuttal.
    If you don't agree with me , fine, that is what debate is all about. But if my posts irritate you feel free to simply ignore them.
    Or, feel free to make a reasonable rebuttal with supporting evidence or personal experience.

8. RLD

RLD Member

They don't irritate me...they are ignorant and as such will be called out...feel free to continue. :)

NamaEnsou and Broken Diode like this.
  9. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

An absurdly silly generalization on your part. I've seen minimalist players cover Hendrix evocatively. Chris Whitley comes to mind. I've seen Players that play far more notes than Hendrix or Marino cover Hendrix beautifully. Phillip Sayce and Mato Nanji being a couple. I couldn't care less about technique for technique's sake. What is technique, other than a measure of how proficiently a player performs the manipulations necessary to play the instrument? It's not how many notes nor how few notes players play that move me. It's whether or not they choose interesting notes. It's whether or not they create interesting sounds. It's whether or not a player can pick up his instrument and on a consistent basis produce something original. A such, your repeated mantra re which player du jour can or could "play rings around Hendrix" followed by your ubiquitous claim of how is useless to "compare apples to oranges," is fairly out of gas. As for you questioning whether or not I can "play like Frank Marino?" I will answer a resounding NO. What does MY playing like Marino have to do with the claim that he could "play rings around Hendrix," that you made? You dig Marino? Good for you. For me he's just one of many players who play physically flawless and utterly forgettable guitar.

NamaEnsou and Cheecharron like this.
  10. Dasein

Dasein Member

Randy was one of the composers and players on the soundtrack to Apocalypse Now --- that's all him. Here's a link to his 1st album from 1980 -- he always said he hated it but it's got some great moments on it.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  11. speedtaco

speedtaco Member

@Rockledge, you need to go back to the first page of this thread and watch the videos posted. Clapton’s OWN bass player refers to Hendrix as a ‘force of nature’. That’s not a term Jack Bruce would use
    Lightly IMO. High praise. He doesn’t call Eric that.

Yes, I would guess he was intimidated.

12. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I tried to explain it to you in the simplest possible terms. Either the parameters of your comprehension skills fail you or you just skimmed over my post and didn't actually read it.
    Either way, any attempt at another explanation on my part would be an act of futility.
    My point about playing like Frank Marino is that I CAN play like Hendrix, as can hundreds and possibly thousands of guitarists. So much so that you seldom see anyone do it either at jams or gigs, because it became old hat a long long time ago.
    Playing like Frank Marino, that is far more of a challenge.

13. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

do you really want to keep going with this?

Broken Diode likes this.
  14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Of course Hendrix was a "force of nature". Jack Bruce was talking about Hendrix, not talking about Clapton, so of course he didn't, at that time , say that about Clapton. Being a "force of nature" was hardly limited to being a comment about his guitar skills. It was about his entire showmanship.
    You are stretching what he said a looooooooooooooong way to come to such a strange assumption.
    He wasn't intimidated. And again, had no reason to be . Clapton had it all over Hendrix in actual guitar ability. Hendrix had it all over everyone in showmanship and innovation.

15. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

As long as the conversation keeps going about it, I don't mind being part of it at all.
    You, however, should not feel obligated to continue just because others do. I don't think there is a rule requiring that of you.

16. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Whooboy.:rolleyes:

Tidbit, Ampedusa, Wino67 and 2 others like this.
  17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Looking forward to this.

18. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Supporting Member

Mint chocolate chip ice cream is my all time fave. It doesn’t mean I hate Vanilla. In fact, there’s all kinds of flavors of ice cream that I never order. However, I’ve never had a flavor that I actually hate.

Hendrix is like Mint Chocolate chip in my listening world, but I enjoy many other flavors as well. I think people confuse their “favorite” with “the best”. One is very easy to define, the other, impossible.

Oh, and for the record, I don’t actually eat as much ice cream, as my post might suggest.

Thumpalumpacus and Mark Robinson like this.
  19. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

Actually, neither are true. The parameters of my comprehension skills are quite astute. And I fully read your post. The problem lies in your continued discursiveness combined with your inability to differentiate correlation from causation. The thesis of the OP's original post is quite clear. Yet you, for some reason, felt the need to attempt to change the subject to Hendrix and...Frank Marino? Ummmm...OK. I posted a clip of Marino's attempt at "playing" Hendrix, and you again changed the subject to...The guitar playing of...ME? Ummmm...OK. You then assumed that my mentioning I couldn't play Marino's stuff was predicated on inability, rather than a colossal lack of caring to learn it. You then pontificated that "possibly thousands" of guitarists can, like you, "play" Hendrix, only to imply that Marino's stuff is not played as commonly because it's "more of a challenge." So by your logic, the fact that concert pianists cover the works by Hans Liszt more than they do those of Pierre Boulez MUST be due to the fact that Boulez is "more of a challenge." Got it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure your goggles are as fuzzy your skills of debate. Are there any other guitarists you'd like to randomly insert into the conversation before changing the subject to MY playing after I address said guitarists? I'm sorry you don't get it. I'm sorry that I can still after all these years listen to "Red House" from Hendrix In The West and be completely captivated. Yet I can, just as I did upon first hearing him 40 years ago, listen to about 8 seconds of Marino "playing" Hendrix before being done with it. I'm sorry that you're that guy who, despite your repeated attempts here to deny it, thinks it's about what's "challenging" rather than what is stylized and unique. I'm sorry you're the guy who values dexterity and fast picking over imagination and originality and dynamics. Hey, good luck.

Thumpalumpacus, ReidS and NamaEnsou like this.
  20. cram

cram Member

No - not intimidated.
    Yes, impressed.
    Yes, he found someone who brought what he was bringing to the forefront...
    Hence his recollection and emotion of his passing.

He's had another quote from interview that fits in the theme of what he's describing - (paraphrasing here) when people move on from this world their legend grows beyond what they were. 3rd party inflation of most everything really..

He knew Jimi. I think his reflection in that small vid is more from a place of the outside world trying to feed their appreciation for Jimi upon Eric and Eric doesn't need to hear or even feel that because he himself knew him. He had a friendship. They were peers talking about their work and that's that.

A humble aside - I have had similar feelings when someone I knew through and through had passed on; listening to other friends lay their reverence for them out for show... I react inwardly with a sort of, "if he were alive he'd be telling you to STFU right now!", but outwardly I'd just retreat and let people have their celebration/salute for them.

I really do think it's as simple as that, but I'm not arrogant enough to claim I'm certain.