• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Was Hendrix Huge When He Was Alive?

skinvoyager

Serious question. He died before I was born. For those who lived through it: was his genious fully appreciated during his lifetime, or only after his death? I know Clapton, the Beatles, and his contemporaries admired him. But he was billed at the END of Woodstock (not really a slot for a superstar) and I’ve read reports that after he died, many of his guitars were sold on the used rack at Manny’s just like any guitar off the street.

Obviously he was famous, but was he superstar famous while still alive?

Attachments

Rumblefish

He was the head line act for Woodstock. He was the highest paid performer of his time. Everybody including all the other rock stars were in awe of him. He changed everything about the electric guitar. He was innovative in the recording studio. He was a great song writer. You just had to have been there in that time to understand how Earth changing he was.
Head line acts always play last.

russ6100

Gold Supporting Member
So from the 2 replies here, who obviously didn’t read your whole question, the answer is no, he was not as revered before his death as after, at least by the non musician public.
I read the question correctly and responded appropriately.

I saw it all happen.

In fact, he was *more* popular / iconic back then.

Ask any 15 - 35 year old today what their favorite Hendrix tune is. Then grow cobwebs waiting for an answer.

soma

So from the 2 replies here, who obviously didn’t read your whole question, the answer is no, he was not as revered before his death as after, at least by the non musician public.
I read the post fine thanks. Yes he was a superstar. What show could he have headlined bigger than the ones he headlined?

He was successful enough to build a studio and was headlining the Isle of Wight festival 3 weeks before he died.

Wino67

Silver Supporting Member
The OP posed posed TWO questions:

"was his genius fully appreciated during his lifetime, or only after his death?"

and

"but was he superstar famous while still alive?"

Whether or not Hendrix was as "revered before his death as after" was not a question posed by the OP. Please do pay attention next time.

bobcs71

I was born in '71. I didn't learn of Hendrix until I was playing guitar.
My parents (dad played guitar) didn't have anything from him. They had EC, Stones, CCR & such.

Edit: When I was really into playing guitar, my dad got me some Jeff Beck cassettes. He wasn't necessarily a big fan but he thought JB was the guy I should learn from.

jackcarter

I don't know who made up this payment schedule,but why was Hendrix supposedly paid the most when he was on the afternoon of the closing day when more than 3/4 of the crowd had left.He didn't headline on any of the evening shows.This just doesn't make sense

GerryJ

Yes, he was all over FM radio with the same songs you hear nowadays on classic rock stations, only they were 1-3 years old instead of 40.
He could fill 20000 seat halls anytime he wanted (ticket prices were sane back then also).
Admittedly this is hard to grasp if you weren't "there", because the Hendrix estate jealously erases anything they find on YouTube.

Kennybeeinfl

I was 10 when JHE was released. It as a big deal with me and some of my friends. I'm not sure if he was HUGE with the general public at the time. Maybe with the college age group he was. I think demographics have to figure in this. And like many musical figures his popularity grew after his death.

GerryJ

I don't know who made up this payment schedule,but why was Hendrix supposedly paid the most when he was on the afternoon of the closing day when more than 3/4 of the crowd had left.He didn't headline on any of the evening shows.This just doesn't make sense
The schedules got incredibly delayed & mixed up from poor planning, blocked roads, no infrastructure, & bad weather.

Trending Topics