Was looking at an old Korg X5-D, but is there a modern equivalent?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by JonSick, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JonSick

JonSick Member

Before you run away laughing, I'm producing black metal and would like to add a synth to my collection.

The sorts of tones in my head can be readily exemplified by this:

I'm listening to demos of the Roland FA06 and Korg Krome. My slight issue is that they all sound a little too "good", I'm kind of more after that slightly vintage sounding ROMpler effect. I also noticed that Korg offer the M1 VST for a silly low price though no idea if the M1 would do the sounds as posted above.

I'm clearly out of my depth. While I have some good synth VSTs, I'm ideally looking for something hardware, that is an actual keyboard. I'm happy enough to go searching for an X5-D as I believe that's what Mustis used on this album, but I wouldn't mind something newer with a warranty.

Given a noob, ideally something easy enough to use and something that will take MIDI triggers from cubase. Though I can play piano (currently play on a Casio weighted board), the synth world is something I haven't touched in decades outside of using an Edirol board into various effects.