Was Peter Green's blues fake?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bonedog, Feb 26, 2014.

1. karmadave

karmadave Supporting Member

Peter Green had a feel for the Blues like few others at the time. He would be better known had he not succumbed to drugs and mental illness. While his best albums were recorded with Fleetwood Mac (the group he founded) I have some audience recordings when he was a member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and you can hear what a soulful and powerful player he was. YMMV...

2. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

3. jefesq

jefesq Member

wow, just wow, speechless. wordless too

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Suckamc, great reply

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Yeah, when he played, instead of closing his eyes, he would keep one eye peeking. fake

6. DesertDirtDog

DesertDirtDog Member

Yeah, it's one thing to not be moved by a particular artists' work, and another to arbitrarily label their work as 'fake'.

7. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Play what you feel, not what you think, it is the essence of blues guitar. It should tell as good a story as the lyrics.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Amen.

This reminds me of what Howlin Wolf said about Mike Bloomfield in the great documentary about the Newport festival. Bloomfield modestly said, basically, what do I really know about the blues, I'm an upper middle class Jewish kid who had a big Bar Mitzvah. Now Howlin Wolf, he KNOWS the blues.

To which Wolf, when told Bloomfield said this, said no question, Mike Bloomfield knows the blues. B.B. King has said the same, it's bullshite to think one can't know or play the blues because he's white, or yellow, or pink, or whatever. Anyone who says or thinks otherwise simply does not know and understand blues - or music - or life.

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

How do you know who it is that's pushing this stuff? Do you actually know the people on here? I actually envision a different set of characteristics than you, but I won't post them, because they aren't any more based in fact than yours, they're just what I imagine the poster to be like.

Also, I've seen way more fawning over Peter Green here than I've seen of Gary Clark Jr. Which is fine with me, they both deserve it, but let's be real. And I've seen plenty of negative posts about GC Jr. as well.

I think we could do with a lot less of the generalized bashing of the demographic based "typical" TGP straw man, that to me is the most negative ongoing theme around here.

10. The Captain

The Captain Member

Since when did you need to suffer from depression to play blues.
    It's a music form that was developed and thrived in dance halls.
    The shuffle was played so the rhythm of an Jon-amplified acoustic could be heard over the hubbub of a noisy crowd.
    Robert Johnson played to dancing chicks, same as ever.

11. Petethekiller

Petethekiller Member

It's just a shame there's so little footage of the Mac circa 68/69 with Green. A visual document like a Woodstock or Monterey.

12. cadduc

cadduc Member

everyone has an opinion, but that does not mean it is the truth

bonzo dog doo dah band: can a blue man sing the whites, or are they hypocrites

13. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

If you ask this question, you don't understand blues music. And based on your posts in this thread, you don't like Peter Green's music with Fleetwood Mac. You shouldn't discount him as a blues player because of the type of blues they were playing. It doesn't appeal to you, that's all.
    There are blues players who make music that I don't care for. So, I just don't listen to them. I wouldn't go so far as to call them fakes.
    I've read more than one post in this thread where the poster thinks you are just provoking arguments.
    Since you haven't posted in your own thread since the day you created it, I would have to agree with them.

14. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

reading the first page of this made my heart hurt

what is wrong with some of you?

Peter Green talent is so deep and amazing. We are all lucky to have him recorded and able to listen to. Amazing amazing human being.

Pretty sure BB King said the Peter's tone was one of the only ones he heard that made him sweat? ****, thats a huge compliment.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

No, I want you to stay in that zone you're in right now.

It isn't reasonable to expect everyone to like everything; there's folks I detest - and that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

There's folks I love (Neil Young, Morrissey) that drive some people to distraction and you know I don't take it to heart one bit (that people I respect don't like 'em) because I know that's the way things work.

But of all the artists in the world to be on the "outside looking in" about, Peter Green, well let's just say, with all due respect, I sure don't wanna trade places with you. To me it would be like being unimpressed with Uma Thurman, or Gandhi, or Charlise Theron, or Steinbeck, or Mozart. :cry:

We'll just put a curtain around you; check in on you every 5 years. :^)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  16. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Peter Green deeply connected with me, I'm 60 and grew up with this music.
    Peter just had a certain touch, never the flashiest, always deep.

I do believe Clapton was a sound Peter jumped on in the beginning. That fused with his BB King influence and he had a slightly different slant on things.

Keef - Chuck Berry
    Jimmy - Howlin Wolf
    Eric - Freddie King
    Peter - BB King
    Jimi - Blinckt from the planet Zington

17. Twangdaddy

Twangdaddy Member

Same here. Peter's solo on "Jumping at Shadows" on the Live at the Tea Party Volume 1 is so shattering that you can actually hear people gasp.

Oh yeah, real fake, OP.

18. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Wow! Thanks for posting! I can't believe I haven't heard this one? Where is this track from?

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

First, I think this is a trolling question.

Second, ask B.B. King if Peter Green's blues were fake. I already know what he'd say. :facepalm