Was the Bosnian War the most confusing war?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lendryesky, Sep 13, 2019.

1. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I was in a band that entertained US military personnel stationed abroad! We went there after bases were set up! Was actually there for the 4th time when 9/11 happened! Watched it on TV from the other side of the planet-it was surreal!

It was really a mess there on the first trip! Land mines everywhere!!!!!! We went through a town called Brcko that the aftermath was really bad! The Serbs came through and pretty much shot up everything!

There is no clarity in that war! There's really no clarity historically in the region! So many people's have marched through that territory and controlled it! Persians, Greeks, Romans, Ottomans, etc....! I remember seeing an interview with a local (serb) saying how great it was to finally have their village back! The news reporter asked when they lost control of the village and the guy answered 600 years ago!

Scrapperz and tnvol like this.
  2. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Fascinating subject. Thanks for starting the thread. Refreshing departure from the usual fodder.

3. steve sanderson

steve sanderson Silver Supporting Member

I deployed to Bosnia in 02-03 as a medevac pilot. They were still finding mass grave sites. It is unbelievable what we are capable of doing to one another.

4. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

fascinating

E.Z. likes this.
  5. E.Z.

E.Z. Member

There are also parts 2 and 3 on UTube if u have interest in the years following.

6. djem

djem Member

Thanks for the YouTube link. I agree with your comment and the documentary is a great starting point for 'Westerners' to understand the actual conflict rather than emotionally responding to media portrayals. I hope people keep their political comments to themselves so this thread does not get locked.

PS - I know this culture quite well as I was raised in it.

Prijatno!

E.Z. likes this.
  7. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

This looked like an interesting read.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Bosnian_War

Language, religion, and national identities is attributed to the cause. But it seems to me that history shows that invaders carelessly drawing lines on maps can be bloody business. For this region, it looks like it started hundreds of years ago, as was said.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Most civil wars are pretty confused events, precisely because in those situations folks tend to line up along tribal lines, be they ethnic, nationalistic, or religious. In those cases, it's kinda like the three-body problem in mathematics -- in a two-sided affair, as the US Civil War was, it's easy to line up with one side or the other, but when you throw a third, independent side into it, balancing the equation becomes much harder.

The Yugoslav civil war was one of those events, where ethnicity and religious beliefs presented at least three sides, and because the combatants were also cohabitant, things got brutally bloody very quickly. Very close toegther, and very far apart in outlook, and factions inheriting the weaponry of the failed state.

In one sense, Yugoslavia is the Iraq of Europe -- a synthetic state put together by a peace agreement they had no voice in, requiring a strongman using ugly methods to hold the center together. Once the fractures in such a state are widened by the destruction of the central government, I think people revert to a tribalistic identity, which makes the brushfire blossom into a brutal event.

Even decades before the civil war of the 90s, Yugoslavia was riven with opposing views -- a major reason why they got invaded in 1941 was that one faction had signed a treaty with Hitler, but the Royalist faction disavowed it, angering Hitler into an atrocious war.

Average Joe and Juneaumike like this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Many arise as a struggle for resources.

FenderBigot likes this.
  10. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Good documentary. It looks familiar for some reason. To others, really the first 30 minutes is all you need to get a better handle on how they got to where they were. But I'm definitely going to watch the rest of it tonight. Thanks

E.Z. likes this.