Was the FM3’s CPU a Design Flaw?

I have an FM3 and love it, but I can’t help to think that the CPU on that thing was a massive design flaw on Fractal’s part. You have to constantly make sacrifices and walk on eggshells to prevent the CPU from crashing if you want a larger preset. And firmware updates can either make the CPU slightly better or worse. My original theory was that the smaller CPU was actually by design so it wouldn’t make a large dent in Axe FX III sales, just like Helix does with the Stomp vs. the flagship. Then again, maybe there just wasn’t enough room in the chassis or the board to put a larger CPU?

Will Onyx

No eggshells or sacrifices required.

Moloch-and-His-Minions.jpg

A little sacrifice is needed every now and then to appease the digital nano-gods! My 80% CPU usage preset now only takes 72.5%!

Seanspeed

From what I've seen, it does seem underpowered for the price. Even beyond that, it seems a bit underpowered for what Fractal's modeling demands seem to be.

People saying, "Well it's the cheaper model, so of course it's lacking power!" - sure, but this isn't exactly a budget piece of kit, it's still a $1000+ piece of equipment. You can buy a Helix LT for less than that.

Last edited:

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Not sure if I’d call using the SHARC processor they did a design flaw, but I don’t think they should let users create patches that actually crash it. That’s the part that seems no bueno to me.

Seanspeed

Not sure if I’d call using the SHARC processor they did a design flaw, but I don’t think they should let users create patches that actually crash it. That’s the part that seems no bueno to me.
From what I remember, some presets that came with it were crashing it at launch because of too high processor usage...

fretworn

From what I remember, some presets that came with it were crashing it at launch because of too high processor usage...

Couldn’t have been the software… No Such Thing in software engineering as code optimization or bugs that caused crashes… No, never… Not once.

Fractal audio sets the highest bar when it comes to addressing SW issues adroitly.

three_eyed_otter

Silver Supporting Member
I have an FM3 and love it, but I can’t help to think that the CPU on that thing was a massive design flaw on Fractal’s part. You have to constantly make sacrifices and walk on eggshells to prevent the CPU from crashing if you want a larger preset. And firmware updates can either make the CPU slightly better or worse. My original theory was that the smaller CPU was actually by design so it wouldn’t make a large dent in Axe FX III sales, just like Helix does with the Stomp vs. the flagship. Then again, maybe there just wasn’t enough room in the chassis or the board to put a larger CPU?
With Fractal you either bow to the "Cliff," or you get pushed over the "Cliff...". I suspect your posting will have you pushed over. Whatever you do, don't ask the same question over at the Fractal forum; it will not go well.

It's such a shame that some legit heavy-hitters in the Fractal world have already chimed in on this thread & they've left you none the wiser. Hopefully someone will come along & offer you some wisdom on how to create more economical dsp usage patches that still offer up that professional sound that can only be achieved by a current Fractal modeler because they tout the longest list of professional users on their website.

Have a good one,

3EO

fretworn

With Fractal you either bow to the "Cliff," or you get pushed over the "Cliff...". I suspect your posting will have you pushed over. Whatever you do, don't ask the same question over at the Fractal forum; it will not go well.

It's such a shame that some legit heavy-hitters in the Fractal world have already chimed in on this thread & they've left you none the wiser. Hopefully someone will come along & offer you some wisdom on how to create more economical dsp usage patches that still offer up that professional sound that can only be achieved by a current Fractal modeler because they tout the longest list of professional users on their website.

Have a good one,

3EO
u mad bro? u seem rather upset …

bumboclaat

Silver Supporting Member

Have a good one,

3EO
cool story bro...

DrewJD82

Have a good one,

3EO

Where in the OP do you find him looking for assistance?

The only time I ever see you post in regards to Fractal is to bash the company or the users in whichever way you see fit, someone must have had a timeout at Fractal Camp!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom