Was the old Peavey Butcher amp really a JCM800 underneath?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cropduster, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

I've heard this many times and wondered if anyone actually tried one out and found out that it was true. I've heard them described as the Mississippi Marshall.

2. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

those amps were EXTREMELY bright even in comparison to JCM's I've played thru.

there was a Butcher in a practice space we frequented. even with the treble/presence all the way down, I found it unbearable. just my $.02

3. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Oh man, this brings back memories...Back in "the day", there was a particular band that played the same circuit as my band did, and I remember the guitarist in that band had 2 full Peavey Butcher stacks that he would play live with. He used to tell me that they were Peavey and cheap enough to begin with, then his employee discount at the music store he worked at made them even cheaper. He always said he was going for the "look and show" aspect by using this rig......not the tone.
    I can't remember what they sounded like, but by saying that, they must not have made much of an impression on me. I tend to remember amps that I was impressed with.

4. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

probably why their so cheap;)

5. FortinAmps

FortinAmps Member

Circuit wise, yes.

6. clarabess

clarabess Member

If you look at the Butcher circuit, it is very similar to the 2203 JMP Master Volume Lead, 100W head. You can have a good amp if you warm-up the bias on the Butcher, and do the 2203/2204 Warmup Voicing Mod. In Fact most of the mods you can find for the 2203 and 2204 will work with the Butcher.

7. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

This. :agree

8. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

9. Derelict

Derelict Member

i can tell you that the old peavey VTMs, sans the dip switches, were a spot-on copy of a 2203/2204 other than 3 resistor changes (pre-amp section). the power section was just a bit different to handle 6L6s. i've done side by side with a VTM60 (60 watt) and 2203 and it is extremely close. with the dip switches, the VTM is more flexible.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

I think the Triumph was similar as well.

11. nullin

nullin Member

My Butcher sounds pretty good sitting across the room from my JCM 800. The 6L6's do make it a little more aggressive sounding and a little less British sounding. It's actually louder than my 100w 2210 is too, by a little bit. I'm actually debating right now as we speak whether I should trade it for something smaller. It's a great amp, especially for the money, but with my rack and JCM 800 on the other side of the room, it just doesn't get played . . . well, not by me. It's what my bandmate plugs into currently.

I'd be curious to hear what my Butcher sounds like converted to EL34's. Maybe still not exactly a Marshall, but pretty damn close for the money they go for.

12. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I haven't played a Butcher, but the Peavey VTM 60 or 120 were very close to my JCM800's. They actually had more bottom end... could be the 6L6 power section.

13. drewl

drewl Member

Wyld Studios?

I repaired that one, removed the bright cap so it's not so trebly anymore.
    But yes, the Butcher is virtually identical to a 2203 except with 6L6's.