WASHBURN A-10, A-20 Original MIJ models Need info!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GrecoVee, Aug 23, 2008.

1. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Hey Vintage Washburn experts!
    I'm looking to buy what is suppose to be an original made in Japan Washburn A-10 model and was wondering if there is a sure way to tell an original from a reissue? I'm pretty sure it's an original but haven't had a chance to check it out in person yet. I was told it has no serial#(the guitar is black,so maybe just hard to see) It has an older Hamer style strings thru body bridge, set neck, creme body and neck binding and two dubble creme humbuckers.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Also, were the original A-20 models the ones with the Flametops?
    Some of them had non locking trem type bridges right?
    Thanks Guys!;)

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

I'm not an "expert" but I've seen a number of these for sale. The reissues say "reissue series" right on the headstock and their headstock is pointy on the A-10's, shaped kinda like a BC Rich Gunslinger headstock. The originals weren't pointy. Most of the reissues are string thru. The ones with a trem have a floyd Rose. The originals never had a floyd rose, either a Strat style or a Kahler. The original, top of the line A-20's with the set neck had a flame top IIRC but it wasn't as flamey as the reissues. The two double creme humbuckers on the originals may have been Dimarzio Super Distortions. The reissues are just Washburn brand pickups.

3. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

i had an a15v in 83 it had a blunt head stock and circular inlays if i recal. not solid dots it also had a sharp v neck

4. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Thanks for the info. Bill!
    Well, the A-10 I'm going to check out is $400. with the case. It's at a store and they won't move on the price any. Not sure if it's the original case but the guitar is in pretty good condition from a picture I've seen of it.
    Do you have any idea if this is a good price for a black original A-10 w/ case? Thanks!

5. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Yes, I was told as well that this A-10 has a sharp "V" neck.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

If it's in really good condition with original pickups/knobs and that's the original case, that's an ok dealer price. You might find one a bit cheaper on ebay without a hard case, but then you would have to buy a case and pay shipping and you would end up spending the same amount.