1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wasn't MXR suppossed to release a new Phase 90?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by le_plastique, Mar 23, 2006.

1. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

2. Amit

Amit Member

DO give a sound report once you'll get it!:)
    Any real script to compare them?

3. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Well... I'm convinced it's just an EVH Phase 90 with the "Script" button hardwired, so I imagine those reviews will stand. I just liked the look of the thing.

4. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

so basically MXR is encouraging the Ebay trend of false advertising, by releasing a pedal that looks like a vintage model, but probally doesn't sound like it, so that ebay frauds can sell them at vintage prices to "newbs" and claim they are "the real thing"...

Thanks MXR!

5. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I'm just speculating. :D

Maybe it's the original design with the same number of ICs, and with the switch & jacks mounted to the chassis rather than to the PCB.

Or maybe they took a board they already have in production and painted the case differently.

Which is more likely?

6. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have one and picked it up from dunlop booth at NAMM in January. The board DOES say "EVH" and the switch is missing where it is located on the EVH version, which I had a sold so I have not been able to do a side to side comparison.

That said, and to my ears, the new version sounds REALLY good and is quite smooth and creamy and has "hard bypass" which I guess means the circuit board will allow the signal to pass even with no battery (when footswitch is switched off). Not sure how much different this is than "True bypass" but I hear no degradation in bypassed sound.

As for the sound, I also have a new Retro-Sonic phaser which I think sounds amazing and HAVE tried them side by side. They are actually quite similar in tone with the new MXR having a tad more feedback and of course fixed depth. The MXR seems to really nail that classic Phase 90 sound and I was around when the first Phase 90's were made.

The footswitch and jacks ARE still attached to the board like the EVH and it is surface mount technology. But it is WAY better than the current Dunlop Phase 90... no comparison. In fact I would be VERY happy to live with the new MXR if I did not have the Retro-Sonic and am keeping both.

Note that at the NAMM show they had a version with and LED and without but don't know if they decided to make both. Also note that the new ones have the AC input on the side so nobody is going to mistake it for a vintage unit though it LOOKS identical otherwise. Lastly, the pot shaft is plastic which kind of sucks and the knob is a push on type but so far, at least with home use, it seems quite sturdy.

Hope this is helpful!

7. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

That's very helpful! Thanks for the clarification!

I'll be happy with mine; I liked the EVH sound, but didn't like the graphics and didn't need the "block" mode, so I sold it on eBay in anticipation of this version. I'm not concerned about wear and tear, either - both this and my MXR flanger will use external true bypass switch boxes, killing at least two birds with one stone.

The one I have in the mail has no LED, but the version with the LED is available for preorder.

We chatted about this a while ago when you came back from NAMM, and I'm glad to hear that you still like it!

8. Jumblefingers

Yeah, I could not get past the EVH graphics and also did not use the non-script setting. Note that the new one seems to be in an accurate "vintage" sized box, smaller than the EVH (I think) and totally different than the current "squared" Phase 90. All around a very cool looking and sounding pedal and still a classic sound. May even be just slightly better in front of a fairly cranked OD as the Retrosonic is a bit more transparent and the phasing gets a little more lost when you have some decent crunch going on. In that setting I like the 90 more...I like em both a whole lot!:)

9. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Interesting you should say that about the Retrosonic being a little lost in a distorted scenario - that was my main reason for picking up this Phase 90. I have a Shannon phaser which, for clean sounds, is just beautiful. Very hi-fi and three dimensional. But it just doesn't do that sound that the EVH did when running it into a distorted effect / amp... The phase almost disappears.

10. Craise

Craise Member

I can add this... At one time I owned both an original Script logo P90 and also a Dunlop P90 that had been modded by dunlop with the script mod. This modded pedal had a dunlop sticker on the front of the pedal listing the mod and a name of a person that did the mod. Strange I had never seen one before or since. This was about 3 years ago. I'm sure it was the same mod they do to these new ones. Anyway..so my point is that the modded one did cop most of the originals sound..I'd say 85% But you could hear a difference and the original sounded better. More clear..sweeter, more blending in with your original tone...rather than on top of or coloring your tone. So that's my experience.

11. Jumblefingers

The same story with the Retro-Sonic though it does not totally dissappear you loose the "churn". As the Phase 90 has a BIT more feedback the effect is just slightly stronger and thus cuts through the distortion a bit more. And same thing, LOVE the clarity of the Retro-Sonic on everything except fairly OD sounds and the MXR for a slightly "funkier" clean sound and for those phased OD sounds. Sounds like you'll be pleased as well!

12. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

In light of our discussion, I played more with the Shannon and payed attention closely. I think I have to take back my comment about it disappearing with distortion - it's definately still there, but more like a gentle "wah" than - as you said "churn".

I love swirly pedals so much. Overdrive obsession is fun, but... you know... :D

13. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Just to follow up - I received mine today, and the board still says "EVH Phase 90 Rev B". I think it sounds great, I'm not disappointed. Not sure if it sounds better than the stock EVH; I had two EVHs, and one of those was "better" than the other (a more prominent phase), so who's to say? Either way, for $99, a fine choice.