Wassup with Wasabi from Danelectro? Especially Chorus + Tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbratch, Jan 2, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I was looking for a new chorus pedal and also interested in adding tremolo to my pedalboard. And I ran into a Danelectro WASABI Chorus Tremolo pedal. But, there's no mention of the WASABI pedals on Danelectro's site.

Has anyone had experience with this particular pedal? What do you think of it?

2. sus4

sus4 Member

Those Wasabi pedals get good reviews, but Danelectro never marketed them. I think it was the result of internal politics.

3. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I just sold one on eBay. The chorus was alright, but nothing to write home about. I thought the trem was really good.

4. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

I haven't played anything from the Wasabi line, but if it's like the rest of Dano's stompboxes, it's probably hit or miss. I've got a number of dano's in my setup (2 eq's, a french toast, pbj, backtalk, and fabtone) that sound great and stand up to some pretty rough treatment. But I've tried a bunch of their other pedals (danecho, blt, daddyo) that I thought sounded like garbage. ymmv.

Danelecto has a seperate website for the Wasabi line. I never understood why they felt the need to divide these from the rest of the product line...

Wasabi website

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks for he website link.

I used to have an 18v version of the Danelectro Cool Cat (DC-1). It sounded very good. I sold it in favor of an Ibanez CS-9 I have, but it was a close call as far as which one I liked more. The CS-9 won out because it had more clarity in the low notes. My CS-9 needs replacement now, and I started to look at the Cool Cats again when I stumbled upon the Wasabi stuff.

I listened to the sound clip on the Wasabi site. Hard to tell if the chorus is good from that clip. They just used one setting of speed/depth and it sounded average.

Danelectro's normal line has two branches: the cheapy small ones, and the better built larger ones. I wonder what circuit they based the Wasabi from? I'd suspect the smaller ones, in order to fit two effects into the pedal perhaps.

6. sus4

sus4 Member

The new Cool Cats are 9v. I don't know if they have the same mojo as the old 18v ones.

Daniel

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

Yep, I'm aware of that. I'm not sure about the mojo issue either. I had the 18v unit previously and it sounded pretty good. I haven't had the opportunity to try a 9v unit, and haven't heard of any side-by-side comparisons.

8. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Music123.com has the Chorus/Trem for $60. I just ordered one. I hvae the rock-a-bye od/delay pedal and like it alot.

9. mbratch

mbratch Member

Hey, thanks for the tip bluescube. If you wouldn't mind posting a couple of lines of comment after you've had a chance to try it out, I'd appreciate it.

10. bluescube

The Rock-A-Bye was a steal at $39.99. Great tape-echo delay sound and the overdrive is nice too. I am using the OD for low gain break-up.

You also get a free POS Danelectro Fab-Metal pedal when you order a Wasabi too.......

11. bluescube

Just got the Chorus/Trem. Very good pedal. Chorus can get warbly real quick and the concentric knobs are hard to adjust. Compares well with a Boss CH-1 sound. The Tremolo is first rate.

12. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

ANCIENT BUMP!
    The Wasabi has a [large] spot on my pedalboard! Yeah, the concentric knobs are a pain cause if you turn one the other turns too. But once you get it set it sounds great. I think its a tuna-melt circuit for the tremolo, and the chorus can do a nice subtle vibrato too! In and out of a bypass loop I hear no tone suck either.:aok

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017