Watch/Listen to this and recommend the amp. floppy bottom tweed..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tiltrite, Dec 22, 2005.

1. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Check out this video of the Louis Electric HS12 Huber Sumlin model. I am looking for an amp that will give up the "floppy bottom Howlin' Wolf" tone that happens about 1:33 into the vid.

http://www.louisamps.com/files/LouisElectric_GuitarOne.mpg

I think the Louis is beautiful and I'd probably go ahead and buy the HS12 but it's $2400, and I don't need the other (higher gain) tones that it packs. I am pretty sure that there's another new amp around that will get that tone for less dough. Looking to spend $1500 max. Lower power is better- mostly for small rooms and recording. Clark beaufort/swart/goodsell?

Try as I might, I just cant get my Ganesha to give up that particular tone:eek:

2. Giga

Giga Member

Not to offend Marshall-lovers but I think a low-filtered JTM-45 or even a Plexi would get you in the right direction.

Giga.

Edit: if you like that kind of tones you definately need to check out The Red Devils !

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Why don't you talk to Louis directly and see what he could come up with for you.

4. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

funny you mention them- i saw them way back at the king king- awesome. they still around?

5. rockstah

rockstah Member

how dare you! :D

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

I did sound for the Red Devils once years ago on a slooow Tuesday night in Iowa. During the second set, Bruce Willis showed up to play harp. He'd flown there specifically for that purpose. Actually, he wasn't too bad.

The band was great, though the lead singer/harp player was severely inebriated...

On edit: I didn't realize he died a couple of years ago. Sad.

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Hi,
    I've picked up a louis Electric amp recently... not that amp but one that is close. They are very tweedy. The higher gain stuff might be more useful when playing Fender SC type pups.
    I would try a Goodsell, even though i haven't played one, and perhaps the Swart.
    There's a ton of vintage amps out there that 'll get you there, but w/o the gain. The louis Electric amps also have more "treble bite' should you need that.

8. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

There was an Adam Stark XRay 30 watt amp in the emporium. The XRay is usually more like 22 watts, so this one is unique in that regard. I have the 22 watt version, and I'm guessing that the more powerful one would be very much in the zone that you are after. I don't know the seller, and in fact he doesn't have much history here. Perhaps you could contact Adam if you are curious and he could facilitate a transaction, if it is of interest to you. Good luck.

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

If you want the old sound why not get an old amp?

My personal suggestion, look for a early to mid 50's Gibson tube amp, preferably a GA-20, which has two 6V6's in Class A with a Jensen P12R, totally has that flubby bottom sound like Hubert got. They also sound nice for any old vintage blues stuff. Plus they won't cost you an arm and a leg, I bought mine for $250 a few years back and it was THE tone machine for old blues stuff and early ZZ Top.

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Some great suggestions, above.

I know it is difficult but if you want a particular sound you have to try the amp yourself, really. I know if I played thru Splatt's amp with his settings I wouldn't sound like him.

Taking all that into account I'd say the "Xray"!!!!! It's very reasonable for it's quality.

Best, Pete.

11. mkg

mkg Member

I watched the clip, and the amp reminds of some of the sounds I can get with my Allen Hot Fudge w/Nuts http://www.allenamps.com/hotfudge.html
    It's a sort of hybrid of a 6G3 Deluxe and a 6G11 Vibrolux (both are amps from the brownface Fender era).
    While not a tweed, the amp features a negative feedback cut knob on the back (Soul Control) that allows you to dial out negative feedback to get a "tweedier" sound.
    You can hear it in action at http://www.nowhereradio.com/mkg/singles especially on the last segment of clip #2 (Money for Nothing).
    The amp retails for $1200 so it's well within your budget.
    I have to say the Louis amp sounds superb, but Allen is a lower-cost alternative to some similar sounds, and David's build quality and customer service are second to none.

Mark G.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking and hopefully This:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7375961984&rd=1

will get me close with reverb and Trem to boot..........:AOK

But I'm sure that louis is a heck of an amp. Not sure I dig that round porthole look though..........

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

If you've got the cash the Louis will be a great amp. I've heard the KR12 and it was smokin'.

Best, Pete.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Siegmund Midnight Special.......single power tube amp with octal preamp tubes & reverb pushing a Celestion Blue. Perfect for smaller rooms & recording.

15. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

any clips of the MS available anywhere?

16. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I did some opening gigs with them back in the day and as I recall, they were using reissue Bassmans, except Lester had a real one for his harp.

17. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

The Louis is a beaut (I dig the porthole BTW) but at $2400 it's just a little too rich for my blood. Been checking out the GA-20's and they seem to fit the bill; only I've had an old 50's gibby amp and it's given me nothing but trouble. Thus the desire for a new amp.

Damn I love that tone, tho.

18. davebc

davebc Member

Not to get off-topic, the Louis Bluesbreaker looks like it might be very tasty! Has anyone had the pleasure. I don't remember seeing that one in the linup. I'll bet it screams big fat woody tone.

19. TNO

TNO Member

Those clips sound very much like my 1960 Gibson GA-18.

20. tiltrite

tiltrite Member