water line question plumbing

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by neastguy, May 9, 2016.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

trying to install a new pedestal sink our 1/2 bath on our first floor (replacing the old one , new one will be hire and diff. mounting spots).. if I look up from the basement I don't see the water lines from the supply lines in the bathroom above coming down through the floor into the basement.. does that mean the water lines are coming down from the second floor to the first and ending at this bathroom ? or do I need to look again... getting nervous about drilling into the wall and hitting pipes.. :( thanks

2. neastguy

with the pedestal sink.. I'm going to have to drill new bolts into the wall.. probably at different spots and widths.. I was worried that if the pipes were coming down from the second floor I could hit them when I drill the new anchors for the pedestal

3. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I drilled into a hot water pipe once...

Not much fun.

4. RCM78

RCM78 Member

If there is another bathroom directly above the one your working in theres probably a pipe chase with Cold, Hot, and Drain piping in it to pick up the bathrooms on both floors. From the chase, the piping with be routed through the wall to the sink, toilet, shower, ect.

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like your plumbing job just turned into a plumbing and drywall repair job.

6. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

why do you need to drill. poke a hole with an awl. even if you have tile walls, just drill thru the tile part.
    use tape on the end of the bit and a depth guage.
    acutally if you drill slow youll feel it break thru the tile and hit the rock.

I guarantee the feed is NOT coming from up stairs. its more a like a short horizontal run off the kitchen or toilet feed

7. neastguy

water heater in the basement on the other side of the house.. the main turn off's ect. are in the basement... I think I'm going to have to drill slowly through the drywall and then investigate

8. neastguy

the laundry room is right next to the bathroom with a sink .. so maybe it is headed that way...

an awl? I'll have to google that

9. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

lol well if you have to google that it means you dont have one. no sweat, just use a Phillips screwdriver to poke thru

10. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

For what it's worth, those small flexible cameras have come down to the silly cheap price point. Might be worth a buy.