Watson - SuperFuzz (vid)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, May 27, 2008.

1. fatback

fatback Member

I first read about the Watson Classic Electronics, SuperFuzz clone in the manufacture's emporium here on TGP last month. I was really impressed with their diligence in recreating this classic pedal so I decided to give one a try.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2026285888277925860&hl=en

[​IMG]

This is one bad mofo fuzz! Tone position 2 is where it's at for me with it's huge bloated mid-scooped tones. Tone 1 could be useful for cutting through a dense recording or getting a nice ratty sounding "When Doves Cry" intro type tone. The Watson boys did a great job. It's a solid build and the 12 page manual(!) is surprisingly well thought out and written. There is a bit of octave-fuzz to the sound also, but that didn't really come through as clearly in the vid. All in all, I'm stoked to add a SuperFuzz to my pedal stable.

http://wattson-fx.com/products.html
    (no I'm not affiliated with Watson FX, I just thought I'd help interested folks out with a link. ;) )

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

3. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Awesome video, fatback! Also, thanks much for the kind words.

Would you mind if I posted the video on our website? :)

4. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

loco fuzz:NUTS

ME IN LOVE :drool

5. fatback

fatback Member

Go right ahead. You guys did an awesome job on the pedal. :AOK

6. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Thanks! It on our homepage! :dude

7. kp8

kp8 Member

It has a nice inharmonic quasi ring-modesque thing happening on that first part of the clip (Tone 2). Very bad (read: good). I am really interested in this pedal and have been waiting to see what folks thought of it. I would jump on this pedal as it sounds truly evil. But, I am tapped out having just picked up an Ultralord in the Emporium. I would love to try both back to back.

Thanks fatback for posting. Wonderful as always. It is like a rite of passage to have a builder's creations show up in your video. I have bought 2 pedals in the last year based on your demos.

Hat's off to you and the mad folks at Watson. I hope to own one someday.

-kp--

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

way cool, love that SuperFuzz sound. Ever since I tried Karl P's early '70s Univox Super Fuzz (the red one), I was smitten by the tone. Great pedal.

9. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

No worries, kp. When you're ready, we'll be here! :)

10. kp8

kp8 Member

Listen to the decay on the first part of the clip. That is sick. I am gonna start saving my pennies.

11. duende

duende Member

Hey Fatback,

Was that clip made with the internal trimmer set at the stock setting?? Also, was that straight into the amp? Or through your valveboy combo??

Thanks and great clip as always

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

That example was not very good. I couldn't get any idea of the nuances of the unit from it. Here's a better MP3 that one of the members posted recently:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7199528