Wattage, break up and headroom on speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by franciscoguinazu, Mar 9, 2015.

1. franciscoguinazu

franciscoguinazu Member

So, everyday I get more and more interested in knowing stuff about gear, amps, tubes, speaker and such but the fact is I'm pretty noob.
    One question that has been on my mind for a while is about speaker wattage.
    For instance let's say I have a Celestion Creamback m65 (65w) and a g12 greenback (25w), does that mean that the GB will breakup sooner than the CB? Or that the CB will sound louder at the same amp volume if compared to the Greenback?
    Thanks for any insights any of you might provide, any info is useful.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The spec that indications loudness is "efficiency" which indicates how many decibels (loudness) you get per watt in. Power rating doesn't tell you that.

A lower power speaker will generally break up at lower wattage than a higher wattage speaker and DEFINITELY get destroyed at lower power levels.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Wattage can often be an indicator, but there are exceptions.
    One example: I recently tried a Weber Amsterdam in my BFDR. The thing was very early breakup although I think they are rated at 100 watts or so. The next speaker I tried was an Emi Cannabis Rex. Same result. Pretty high wattage also. Yet ... other high wattage speakers can be super clean....
    Weber says higher wattage is generally a bit warmer on the top end... in the same speaker type... but that doesn't mean it will be in a different speaker.
    This speaker stuff is incredibly complex it seems.... I guess that's why we all keep shuffling speakers around!