Wattage difference between PRRI and PRRI Limited Edition

Rotten

Silver Supporting Member
I have an orange PRRI Limited Edition. I noticed that the standard PRRI's are listed at 12 watts, but all of the Limited Edition models are listed at 15 watts. Anyone know why and how the difference?

HawkeyeKane

Rotten

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. I'm not talking about the SF PRRI. I'm talking about the BF PRRI. On the Fender site, they are listed at 12 watts. The special editions, though, are listed at 15.

Figaro

Supporting Member
The new silverface model's name is the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb. It is NOT a reissue and is 12 watts.

Every PRRI that I've seen says 15 watts on the back panel, regular and limited edition models. Not sure why the specs on the Fender website says 12 watts?

HawkeyeKane

Ahhh...sorry. Guess I misread.

Princetons are one of those amps where the output claims kinda varied over the years. Some were advertised as 12W, some as 15W, and some as being 12-15W (mainly just the Reverb models). Only thing I can tell that really differed through the years was the rectifier tube changed once or twice. And now they use 5AR4's. You'd think they'd all be a little stiffer.

The old Kalamazoo Reverb 12 (often called the poor man's Princeton Reverb) was the same way for the short time it was produced. The 12 in its name is often mistakenly attributed to speaker size (which was a 10" just like the Princeton), but it was actually the output it got that from. And I've seen old ads for them where the rating was listed at 15W.

Last edited:

Billm

And when you test them on the bench with something that can measure THD, they all manage to put out 15 watts at around 10 percent THD.