Waves Plug-Ins Users - Question

Taller

Gold Supporting Member
First, I gotta say I love the Waves plug-ins I've purchased. They look sexy, and they sound great.

I think my current favorite is the Abbey Road ADT:
http://www.waves.com/plugins/reel-adt#butch-vig-billy-bush-reel-adt
I just placed a newly recorded song on Soundcloud that uses the ADT on a couple of guitar tracks and you just can't get the same effect with any other plug-in on the market.
I've also got the REDD plug-in from the Abbey Road collection , as well - really adds warmth and dimension to whatever you put it on.

See:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1494956

Anyway, I'm really having difficulty hearing any change in the sound when I manipulate the 'Analog' control that appears on (I think) all of the Waves plug-ins. The JJP Puigchild even has a switch that toggles between a 50Hz setting and a 60 Hz setting (or 'off'). Again - not hearing any effect at all when I adjust these settings.

Do those of you who use Waves find the same thing? What am I listening for ('cause I'm just not hearing it)?

dporto

I figured as much, but what is it that I'm listening for?
A very subtle effect... ba dum dum pshhhhh ! I'll be here all week :banana seriously though, I used to use the Waves Renaissance Compressor back in the old days...I liked it a lot - punchy but fairly transparent. I didn't really use it after I got a UAD-1 with the LA-2A and 1176 emulations.

MiguelDamas

Anyway, I'm really having difficulty hearing any change in the sound when I manipulate the 'Analog' control that appears on (I think) all of the Waves plug-ins. The JJP Puigchild even has a switch that toggles between a 50Hz setting and a 60 Hz setting (or 'off'). Again - not hearing any effect at all when I adjust these settings.

Do those of you who use Waves find the same thing? What am I listening for ('cause I'm just not hearing it)?
Supposedly it adds harmonic distortion and noise to better replicate the hardware. I can't hear a difference in tone but the noise does add up if you use multiple instances for drum tracks, for example. Completely useless if you ask me.

jmoose

There is no "effect" there - no change in harmonic distortion or EQ carve or anything like that. If you think there is you've deluded yourself...

The "analog button" on the waves GUI is basically dither; noise based on what the signal to noise ratio is like on whatever they modeled. On some of their vintage emulation plugs the analog "button" and noise is more obvious then others.

The 50 vs 60Hz thing is the frequency center of noise (dither) based on European power vs north American respectively.

Its all in the manual. RTFM!

Trending Topics