Waves Q-clone and guitar stuff...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Ed DeGenaro, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

http://www.eddegenaro.com/waves/irtestinglessverb.mp3

The deal is that this is a new plug in that samples the frequency response of a hard ware unit. Intented for EQs, but I figured it'd work on a miked cab pinged off a clean power amp as well. So I sampled the response curve of my speaker/mic set-up. And recorded the amp's line-out straight in the board and superimposed the speaker curve. In other words I turned my iso cab set-up into a speaker sim.
    The rest was a $400 MIJ Strat into the reeza OD pedal into a Flexi loaded down via a Hot plate

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

That's pretty cool Ed. I've heard of people doing the same with convolution reverb plugs too. I made an impulse of one of my echoplexes once...worked great, sounded like the real deal (at one static setting, of course.)

3. Affair2k

Affair2k Member

I'd never think in that way of using that plugin.
    It really sounds great, better than any speaker simulator!!! i bet that plugin can beat my palmer pga-04 at recording, it sounds very natural.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Sounds great Ed.

Can you detail how you clone the hardware?

5. Ed DeGenaro

The plug-in transmits a signal that runs through the hard ware. In my case clean power amp, speaker, mic, mic pre. The signal transmitted back to the plug-in has the frequency response of the gear it ran through. Ends up being nothing more than a rather involved filer/eq curve. You apply that onto your signal..done.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Several years ago I read about a plug that did exactly this. It wasn't marketed as an EQ either. It basically sampled anything, hardware, mics, amps, etc. and created an algorithm that can be applied to your audio. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me now but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Q-clone.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Don't think it would have been. Waves only came out with it very recently.

Waves stuff is excellent... sometimes other plugs seem similar in function, but Waves often (though not always) sounds the best.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

This sounds like a great way to get different amps sounds. I'm curious if internet libraries will pop up with lots of different amp sounds that you can apply, sort of like the impulse libraries for convolution reverb plug-ins.

I wonder if this is how Line6 developed all of their amps and effects models.

Bryan

9. Ed DeGenaro

They used impulse modelling from how I understand it.
    That said the compression/distortion characteristics and feel of the pick attack can' be modelled with the Q-clone.
    So it would be more libraries of different cabs/mics. And remeber that plug-in sure isn't cheap.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Very cool man. Smart too. :D

Sounds very good.

The world is a changin!