Way do poeple like groove tubes????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lancerontrack, Sep 25, 2008.

1. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

i had to have some tubes in a hurry so i went to the guitar store and suprise. all they had was groove tubes. i said i'll give them a try, after reading a bunch of stuff about how bad they rattle. put them in and wow. i think i have a family of rattle snakes nesting in my amp. i just dont get what people see in these things. the sound wasnt better then the no name made in china ones i took out.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Because they don't know better and GT has slick magazine ads ;)

3. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I've used Groove Tubes in every EL84 amplifier that i've had - and they've always delivered the goods for me. Tube Amp Doctor have been pretty good to me too, mostly for 6L6's and EL34's.

I've definately never had a problem with Groove Tubes causing rattle. Have you managed to troubleshoot down to being a definate tube problem?

4. nomadh

nomadh Member

Aren't GTs just one of the std current tubes but with some QC so they are matched and DON'T rattle? Are we saying not even any QC ?

5. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

That's probably because that's what your Groove Tubes were. They do have an R designated tube (probably Sovtek) that stands for Russian, but they buy tubes from everywhere and just sort, test, and rebrand them.

6. johnzias

johnzias Member

Blue Strat,
    I never use GT pre-amp tubes, but I have gotten some satisfaction from the GT 6L6-GE's. I have a quad in my '67 Twin for 2 years now.

I'm curious as to what your opinion is of them?

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Just easy and reasonably reliable .

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Their pre-amp stuff never did much for me. So I was surprised at how good the stock GT 6L6s are in the '57 tweed twin RI. I'll try some stuff anyway, out of habit, but not 'cause I don't like them.

9. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I've had more problems with GT's than anything else. Dougs Tubes and EuroTubes are the only dealer's tubes I've never had any issues with

10. go7

go7 Member

+ a very healthy mark up.

11. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Yes. As far as I can tell.
    R = Russian - Rebranded Sovtek
    SV = Slovakian Vintage - Rebranded JJ Electronics

12. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

sorry forgot to mention i am talking about pretubes. 12ax7

13. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

The GT12AX7M is a good tube, so some of there hyperbole is justified. Also, GT tubes are in music stores where musicians shop.

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I was gonna' say because they like tubes that drift apart, run away, and fail early.:D

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Back in the late 80s, GT were the first people to sort of test their tubes (I say sort of because it wasn't real rigorous), so you were pretty sure they weren't going to be DOA and you could get matched pairs and quads (a service no one else provided at the time). They also had a pretty good stock of NOS tubes of some really good types. That got the hype started. Now it's pretty much only marketing and other people do a much better job of selecting, matching and burning in tubes (KCA, Lord Valve, Doug's etc), so I don't see much point in paying their inflated prices...

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's easy to find out my opinion by cruising my website. I don't carry anything I don't like...at least I never reorder items I don't like.

I do like the GT 6L6GEs.

Most of what Groove Tubes sells are the same tubes you can buy elsewhere for half the price.

17. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

BRAND NAME!!!!
    Everything is about the brand name.
    And they are expensive so that makes them at least 2x better than any other tube out there.
    Now fender owns GT so there's one more brand name to put on them.

18. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

I do know that egnater swears by groovetubes.....

19. DavidE

DavidE Member

20. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

He told me just last week that the GT GE-6L6GC was probably the best 6L6 in production today!.......IMHO they had enough passion for the industry to buy the old GE tube manufacturing plant that is producing the GE-6L6. Mike Zaite from Dr Z uses their EL-84S in several of their amps and he typically never scrimps on quality. Of all the amps I've owned over the years I've not had any "rattling" GT tubes that have been discussed in this thread, I've had several Chinese rectifier tubes rattling though. Aspen Pittman from GT has provided many, many years of very valuable information concerning all tubes ...... he has obvious passion for the little glass bottles of sonic heaven we all enjoy. In todays economic turmoil it is only passion that would guide one to buying an old tube factory!! When Myles Rose worked there for many years he would tell it like it was if he felt there was a better sounding tube for my (and many many others) particular amp at the time and on several occasions he did indeed recommend "non GT" tubes.