Way Huge Aqua Puss

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SGFan, Sep 30, 2006.

1. SGFan

SGFan Member

If anyone has had one, has one, or has heard one, can you comment on how this compares to other analog delays and what exactly makes it so sought after (other than rarity).

Thanks.

2. Medication

Medication Member

Let's do the time warp

There's some samples too.

3. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

it is close sounding to a maxon ad-9.

4. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Had one, it was just ok. Nothing special IMHO. There's an internal trimmer inside to fine tune the circuit, but that still didn't help any. It had much shorter delay times than I like, the box really seemed to do best at quick slapback echos - more Brian Setzer than U2 if that makes any sense. Not worth the $$$ you see them for on eBay IMHO. $200 sure. $800+? Fuhgettaboutit!

5. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I had one. My opinion is most of the hype is because you can't get them anymore. I had 3 Way Huge pedals at one time.....the GR, RL and the AP....which all sounded very good. Having said that though....with all the really great pedals that are available today, I just don't understand why people spend so much for the Way Huge line. Supply and demand I guess!!

6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I agree that they arent worth the scratch. I had one for a few weeks and for the amount of money I could sell it for it just wasnt worth it to keep it around. I definitly dont regret selling it for something with a bit more time and certainly a better switch.

7. SGFan

SGFan Member

Thanks for the info, I have seen them go for ridiculous amounts of money on ebay and have heard some samples on tonefrenzy that I liked, but for that kind of money, you should get an echoczar.

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Even so, there are great sounding delays other than the Echoczar. You dont have to spend $675 for a delay to have a good sounding one. I think the reviews that "x super expensive delay" makes everything else sound like **** are a bit extreme in many cases. While they sound good, they dont mean everything reasonably priced is absolute ****.

9. SGFan

SGFan Member

I did not mean to imply that you had to spend $675 for a delay, only that if you are in the market for an Aqua Puss, for the same amount of money, you could get an Echoczar which has more features.

10. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I have one for years and like it quite a lot. Is it worth today's asking price? Well, not for me. But I won't sell mine.
    As someone said above, it is similar in sound to the Maxon AD-9. Perhaps, a bit cleaner with a tad more headroom. Around 300 ms delay time.
    It is not my "go to" delay pedal, but will remain in my herd.

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

i love my AP 1 i paid 500 cash for it and could sell for a profit but wont. it has a nice clean buttery tone to it that i really like. when you see the guy from aerosmith playing one (who can have anything he wants), I think that says something for its tone.