Way "Huge" ebay prices...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elambo, Sep 19, 2005.

1. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Brilliant post. If such item is sold under an "agreement" to be bought back I would assume that item would be offered back before going to ebay no matter what the price. The item was never offered back.

2. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

If I bought something, it's mine to do with as I see fit.

If I sold it, I have the money. If I expect something beyond the money, I better get it in writing.

"A verbal agreement ain't worth the paper it's written on." - Samuel Goldwyn

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

+1

4. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

As I said some times the need to make a fast buck over shadows ones word. I guess if you think thats acceptable so be it. Some may hold themselves to higher standards. And apparently some may not.

5. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

First it was indeed sold for what it was bought for.

Second I sent him an offer that was more than the current ebay price with no response.

It appears that some of you think I am shocked that the pedal was worth that much I am not. It was sold with the information that it would bring a lot of money should it be sold again. Johns approach was that he too was a geaehead and was anxious to try the pedal and had no intentions of selling it. I dont do business with profiteers unless I was to cash out myself. I am not a "pawn shop" or am I running a store.
    If that were the case I would have put it up on ebay myself.

So with that being said I will quietly sit back and watch Camel Toe 001 be sent overseas where it will sit behind a glass case instead of being enjoyed by players as it was intended.

Thanks for your input Jackie but you have missed the mark on all counts here.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

GREATPHARO,

Sorry, but you are the one “missing the mark”. You seem to want to impose a naive notion of your own brand of economics. You sold the asset, by which transferring control of that asset to another party. I can understand your frustration if he agreed to sell it back to you. BUT, it is ridiculous to wish to impose a price, below the market price, on someone who retains control of the asset. Can you honestly say that if you purchased a home for $200,000, which in 10 years could be sold at $400,000, that you’d sell it back to the seller for $225,000? I’d recommend dropping this type of agreement from your sales, it’s ridiculous.

Just because we romanticize about these pieces of gear doesn’t mean they are not also investments. This individual has a right in our capitalistic system to make the highest Return On Investment the market will allow. Also, the Statute of Fraud’s states that any agreement for anything over $500 must be in writing.

Sorry.

7. tiptone

tiptone Member

That's not economics, that's holding a man to his word. You know, that thing that makes a man worth more than the pile of meat he can be turned into?

Dad would say that sounds like 'Lawyer ball'.

I was thinking the same thing...

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

golly, in my world a (wo)man's word is EVERYTHING.
    i'm so sorry to hear that the world is still a selfish, greedy, backstabbing hellhole and that we should all just grin and accept that everyone is just out for themselves.
    sad, sad, sad.
    i only do business w/ peeps that have integrity. no, i don't trust everybody, trust must be earned. i run an indie record company and we work on the principle of no lawyers and the handshake closes the deal of a (simple) agreement.
    i love it and i love the peeps that i work with.
    have fun in Ur crappy world. remember, what goes around, comes around. and please, please, PLEASE.... stay as far away from my naive, anachronistic, idealistic world as possible. there is nothing here of interest to U.

9. erksin

erksin Member

So how do you 'weed out' the selfish, greedy, backstabbers you could be potentially doing business with? Just curious - not an attack...

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hang out, do small 'tests' over a period of time and yes, more often than not, weed does have a bit to do with it.
    in terms of gear pimps, i've been very fortunate to find out who thee weasels are fairly quickly. oddly enough, i think that there's a fair # of retailers that realise that 'what goes around, comes around', and are super reasonable to do long term business with.
    i'm fairly new to e-bay. only a handful of purchases so far. careful perusing of the feedback posts helps and also assessing how they answer questions.
    recently, i wanted to bid on a victoria amp on e-bay and no matter how many pointed questions i asked about shipping, etc., i got incomplete answers and vague replies. i REALLY wanted the amp but wouldn't bid on it because it just didn't FEEL right. i would have paid more than what the final bid was.
    ii guess that i have a fairly fine tuned "bullsh!t" meter. at one point in time i was on the "dark" side and did my fair share of cut-throat activity. not something i am very proud of. over a period of time i began to realise that there was a different way of doing things and that oil and water don't mix. cool peeps really don't wanna work with sharks and 'cuz sharks just wanna EAT cool folks, the cool folks stay out of shark infested water. i've learned some hard lessons in my life, but i have absolutely no regrets on the course my life has taken since i 'repented'.
    as for the 'tests'......
    loaning books/CDs and seeing if they return them w/o hassle and if they're well taken care of. being punctual for meetings. getting to know the other persons 'circle'. stuff like that.
    if it smells like sh!t, it's probably sh!t.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

$3,000 for a camel toe!?!?!? That @ $100/ component!

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

would it be impertinent of me to ask what is so special about a 'camel toe'?
    the electronic one, not the other one.
    i know why the other one is 'special'.

13. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

well the one on the left looks like a CMOS chip and the right looks like a TS style chip

Dosen't look all that complicated, have both of these not been cloned or copied to death at this point?

More power to the people if they can get 4 G's for this thing hey with rock star after rock star buying them up I understand the investment, but tonally speaking, I know at the time they were the best since sliced bread, now that we've been slicing bread for a while now isn't there stuff that is just as good?

I wonder what Mr. Tripps thinks about all this, it has to be kind of funny and satisfying at the same time.

14. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

Maybe, after the auction ends, you will be offered the pedal. Of course, that would be 'putting it' to the high bidder now, wouldn't it?
    just random thoughts.......
    gregc

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

170-250 USD fine, but a 3000 toe rip -off
    For 3000 dollars I WOULD buy a REAL amplifier

16. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

no ****. you aren't kidding, Imagine the hand built hand wired piece of glowing tube goodness you could get for 3 grand, then again, this isn't really about money I'd guess or tone either. More like exclusivity. They have become Honus Wagner, Superman#1 and Bugatti Royale's rolled into one.

17. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

The first post most definitely sounds "shocked that the pedal was worth that much."

You were asking $1750 for that pedal right? If you got $1750 for a distortion box, you should be very, very happy. I think it's hilarious that the guy found a bigger sucker on ebay; more power to him! I also believe that's the true crux of the "frustration."

What's just as bad as a guy not keeping his word, is someone not able to accept responsibility for the ramifications of their actions or choices. If it makes people feel good about themselves to not adequately protect their interests in business transactions, or even to just clearly define the nature of the transaction in a permanent form, then that feeling should be enough reward in itself, because being slighted is clearly foreseeable.

18. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Thanks Jackie I'll keep that in mind should I ever deal with you. I have been high end gear transactions for many years. I have a very good understanding of "worth" of certain items rare and otherwise. Mostly because I have owned or still own some of the rarest gear out their.

The money is not the issue whatsoever. The point is this is a supposed to be a community of fellow musicians and gear heads.
    Not a place where people purposely lie to one another for capital gains.

You also stated that I wouldnt care had the price gone down on the TOE. I could care less if it dropped down to $500. I would have bought it back for what it was sold for.

For the last time. Money is not a motivator to all of us. It is clear it is for you though.

Thanks for your input but again you are far off base.

19. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

so basically, you are just disapointed, because you don't want this piece of gear to be a coveted museum piece. That's fair and it's unfortunate that it might. I hope whoever bought it plays the hell out of it.

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"Thanks for your input but again you are far off base."

GREATPHARO,

Please take a deep breath...

All we’re trying to do is explain the way transactions work in a capitalist system. One of the greatest failings of our government school systems is that many don’t understand economics… at all. And one of my biggest pet peeves is when people don’t understand what determines the price of a good. You may very well have completed many transactions in your life, but you seem to be extremely ignorant of business and economics. Just cause you believe the world doesn’t honor “word and a handshake”, doesn’t make the people telling you otherwise cutthroat "profiteers". Especially when they’re backing their statements up with facts, not just emotion. We are simply trying to help you protect yourself in the future.

You agreed to sell the pedal for a certain price. A legal transaction occurred. The buyer may have backed out of the informal agreement. But without a contract listing your agreement, you have no legal leg to stand on. He had every right to sell the item for an agreed upon price with another party.

Morally you are correct, but in dealing with high price transactions, you really should be more informed.