Way Huge percieved value observations and questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I was just just browsing through the many interesting forums here on TGP during my lunch hour and happened upon a thread in the emporium in which an entire collection of Way Huge pedals is being sold in part or whole. What made this thread noteworthy in my mind was the unbelievable high price(s) being asked for them. Don't get me wrong - I believe the seller should get every penny of the current value from his collection (best of luck in the sale GreatPharo :) ). What occurs to me when I see the Way Huge stuff up for sale/auction is that the percieved value of the Way Huge stuff has grown much faster than most other desireable-but-out-of-production guitar products and I can't help but think that, at some point in the not-too-distant future, the percieved value on these pedals might very well drop significantly. Maybe I'm wrong and they are a great investment or produce tone equal to the percieved value but I'm having a hard time believing it (and I'm not willing to drop the coin necessary to find out :D ).

So I'm curious - for those who purchase/own/use Way Huge pedals:

Are they that much better than other effect pedals?

Did you / do you purchase them as investment pieces or to use them? Both?

Thanks all!

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

No, not IMHO. I had a Red Llama, Green Rhino, and Blue Hippo when you could still get them new in the $150-175 range. Sold/traded them all for less than what I paid. The Red Llama sounded OK, but was a one trick pony. Green Rhino was a VERY nice TS clone, but nothing you couldn't get these days with the dozens of TS clones out there (in its time, the GR was the same price as a vintage TS9). The Blue Hippo was unique (pulsating LED) but again, nothing you couldn't get from a significantly less expensive pedal these days.

3. wembleyisgreen

wembleyisgreen Member

are they better? maybe, but the vibe, name, look, build etc imo is better than 99% of whats out there.

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Yeah, that's why you're cashing out your Green Rhino at $500, right? :)

I won't argue on vibe, name, or look, that's subjective - but build, c'mon. The brushed aluminum case of a WH effect scratches if you look the wrong way at it. Not to mention the flimsy knitter/Fujisoku joke of a switch which the majority of WH effects have in them - why else did Fulltone abandon that switch at the earliest opportunity? Same with Xotic, they've stopped using it in their entire line. Yes, it was the only 3PDT available in 1996, but even today's $7 Taiwan blue 3PDT (which 99% of boutique guys use) is 100x times better. Even the pots inside most WH effects are regular Mouser full size pots, nothing special.

5. wembleyisgreen

wembleyisgreen Member

you answered your own questions. he used what was avaible. The build is superb and I don't agree about the scratching. They do scratch but they are less noticeable than on a painted enclosure which just takes paint off.

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

So how is a circa 1996 knitter/Fujisoku 3PDT switch better than the commonly available (99% of what's out there) Taiwan blue 3PDT?

7. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I consider excellent build quality worth paying good money for as it ensures reliability and consistency. Vibe is definitely worth paying good money for - if it has the vibe I'm looking for, if sounds right and feels right I'm willing to spend quite alot to add it to my rig.

Name and look are absolutely inconsequential where tone and reliability are concerned. It's nice when a product looks good but I'd be just as happy if my pedalboard were covered in tarnished, unpainted 'bud' boxes and my amp & guitars were spray-painted flat grey - so long as I continue to get the amazing tones. Of course my gear looks better than the above description and I'm certainly glad of that. I won't however, pay more for guitar gear because of its looks or the name.

Take the name and the look away - how much better are the Way Huge pedals in comparison to other products at or below (mostly way below) their current asking prices? Will a Way Huge delay compare favorably to a ToneCzar EchoCzar (sp?), DLS, or perhaps a Fulltone TTE? Will a Way Huge chorus compare favorably to a Fulltone, Retro Sonic, Maxon, DLS, etc.? Will a Way Huge compressor compare favorably to the Tone Press, Jangle Box, Bi-Comp, etc.? I'm not necessarily looking for a blow-by-blow comparison of each but rather trying to get an understanding of why someone would pay ~$1000 for an effect pedal. The asking price for the entire collection currently posted in the emporium would cover, for examples sake, the cost of a new Two Rock Signature amp (or a used Two Rock and a Baker guitar). I'm just having a hard time believing that there's that much build quality, vibe, name, and look to compete with what could otherwise be purchased for that much money.

8. StompboxMan

StompboxMan Member

There just different sounding then other effects.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I thought the Red Llama was a very average pedal .... with major bass dropout. I haven't played any others.

10. clapointe

clapointe Member

Sorry but there all hype and now way overpriced ! You would be a fool to pay $500 for a pedal you could fine by another pedal maker today !:eek:

11. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

my buddy had a way huge swollen pickle. it was utterly horrible in my opinion. he had bought it used for $90 and it was lying around our rehearsal space for over two years so i thought i'd try it out. it just was brittle, harsh, and nasty sounding. eventually our bass player hooked it up in his rig for some nasty sounding bass fuzz.

i battled an internal demon about offering him $90 to buy it from and then turning it for a huge profit but in the end i relented and let him know that he had a big profit on his hands if he wanted. he ended up selling it for $450.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have no dog in this hunt.

I owned a Saffron Squeeze and the much lauded Aquapuss when they first came out. Nice pedals. Worth the $150-$220 I paid new. Sold both for about what I paid for them.

They were both well made, good sounding pedals. The Aquapuss was a wonderful analog delay.

But, ahem, the prices asked for them now is crazy-go-nuts IMHO. Supply and demand has created a bubble that, at least IMHO, is completely in the minds of the beholders.

No slag toward Way Huge lovers, and I don't mean to rain on anyone getting market value for their pedals from any maker.

MY opinion is simply that the current market value on these pedals is waaaaaay over the top and waaaaaaay out there. And very far from being in my reality package.

13. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have no experience of any Way Huge pedals, so my opinion is entirely objective and not a comment on the quality of these pedals, but I think the reason they have increased so much in value is all to do with timing.

They were a big deal before the whole internet forum thing took off, as a result they never suffered the backlash that a lot of modern pedals do in this information overload era.
    Seems to me that we are intimately familiar with every piece of gear out there.
    I know what most pedals, guitars and amps sound like, I know if a pedal will fit into my rig and do what I want, I can email/call/whatever various luthiers and builders, and talk to them personally.

But the WH pedals remain a mystery.

I never hear guys A/B'ing them with other pedals, in fact I rarely hear anyone talk about them, or about anyone using them, they remain an enigma.
    All most people know about them is that they are supposed to be "great"

Coupled with being unavailable, this makes them soar in value.

Just a thought, if they are pedals worthy of the huge price tags, why isn't everyone raving about them.

Who is using Way Huge pedals on their board?

14. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I had a number of Way Huge pedals, there were three dealers in town and I got many of them used - in thier original day they were as good as anything out there, and better than most and helped raise the bar and set the trend for 'handmade' effects even today ---

I still have and love a second revision Aquapuss - it does still sound better than other analog delays, and the Saffron, Rhino etc, are still very good sounding examples of Booteeked vintage designs.....

as to their actual 'value' ??

Is that $200,000 58 Les Paul really 400 times better than my $500 old Greco.......

the Collectors world is about buying something and selling it for more than you paid ----- it doesnt really mattter what the price is as long as you can find someone to pay more than you did....

15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I bought a Saffron Squeeze compressor new in 1997 for $135:D

I still use it on one of my pedalboards. While it is a really cool pedal, I still have my original '70s Dyna Comp on another pedal board. So, like others, I would agree that Way Huge pedals are great but not necessarily that much better than some of the other top pedals.

So, I don't think the high prices are based solely on Way Huge pedals' sound quality. For example, there are several great-sounding Uni-Vibe remakes available now, but that doesn't stop an original from commanding $900 or more.

The mystique/enigma argument made by the previous poster makes the most sense to me. The mystery and limited availability of Way Huge stuff almost guarantees that they will bring top dollar from collectors. Of course, the pedals had to offer something extra in terms of performance to have been worthy of attention in the first place but I don't think people are buying them because they sound so much better than anything else out there.

In fact, I don't see them as that much different than other collectibles, for instance Star Wars merchandise. People don't buy this stuff because it is useful, is well-made, sounds good, or other practical criteria. It seems that the Way Huge pedals are bought and sold for the same reasons as autographed posters/photos, rare LPs, etc., etc., etc. I don't think people are necessarily crazy for paying these prices as they seem to be driven by many intangible factors.

Anyway, I find it all to be quite fascinating and fun. After all, everyone loves a great mystery right?

Terry

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

I would tend to agree with these sentiments .

17. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I had an Aqua-Puss, great sounding delay, and made out when I sold it a few months ago on eBay. I like those pedals and I like Tripps. Way Huge and Fulltone were probably the beginnings of the boutique pedal era -- Tripps could probably have a seven-figure company today (like Fulltone) if he kept making them. But Way Huge pedals command the money they do simply because they enjoyed a solid reputation when they were available and they are not being made anymore. There is a finite amount in the world, and not many at that -- even better.

If Robert Keeley stopped making his compressor, you could expect to pay mid three figures for a used one, maybe more... but he has made many, which affects the value. Unlike Tripps, who really only made a few of those, say, Saffron Squeezes, by comparison.

Basically, limited supply + high demand = payday if you own one.

18. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

This really is not rocket science. Way Huge pedals were almost direct copies of already out of reach classic fuzzes and effects.
    Them blue hippo and aqua puss are far byong any other analog delay and chrus I have played before. To sum it up in two words warmth and headroom. And I own or have owend just about everything out there including moogerfooger 104, Fulltone, Echoplex, Maxxon, you name it I have compared it. The only reason I am selling at this point is because the new rig I have built is a rack rig and TC has set me up with something that is taking the place of all my time based effects.

So with Way Huge coming on the scene and taking the place of a lot of opverpriced vintage pedals but with a more reliable and better build quality it was a given that they would become sought after. And now the fact that they have not been in production since 1999 and are few and far between lead to it the prices.

Please tell me how a DUMBLE is worth 25,000 more than a Fender? I owned a Dumble for years and sold just 2 years ago.
    In my opinion you are not only paying for the sound but you are paying for the elitness and the vibe. To some people thats worth the money if thats the vibe your looking for. And if it is what your looking for nothing else will really do. There are things that will come close but none will be a Dumble or Way Huge.

19. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Oh and by the way the whole bubble bursting thing has been speculated about real estate for the last 5 years. Haven't seen it so far nor on Dumbles or vintage fenders or just about anything else worth having.

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

^^^good luck w/ your sale^^^

i feel bad for anyone willing to pay those prices....lets be real for one min.
    these are metal boxes, with electronic components in them. WOW.
    way huge prices are just that..."way huge"...

ive played them all, and with the exception of the aqua/super puss delays, everything else was just so-so....nothing that made me poop myself.

so with that being said, whoever buys these pedals...have fun pissing away $500-1500

just my .02